• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Quality B12

acrosstheveil

emailed b12oils.com and asked as a simple question about what kind of oil they use as I have an allergy to olive oil and the guy was a complete asshole about it. would not recommend ordering from there. any other places to get high quality b12 without xylitol?

CSMLSM

I know you are looking for supplements but have you considered eating liver, it is a great natural source of B12.

I had severe B12 deficiency and had problems getting the doctor to listen and test me. I tested my theory that I was B12 deficient by eating 2-3 meals a week of lambs liver for a month or so and it improved my symptoms (about 10years ago).
When I went back to the doctor (GP) I demanded a test. I was deficient still but the lambs liver definitely worked well. I had dementia type symptoms and the liver made me more capable of challenging the doctor.

I recommend hydroxo and methyl and to avoid cyano Cobalamin. Tablets are ok if you do not have issues absorbing but many who are deficient I think find they struggle to absorb from what I remember. If intramuscular is available it is most effective and you do not need to worry about the complicated way Cobalamin (B12) is absorbed. It is the largest and hardest vitamin to absorb I believe.

GreenEdge

B12 only exists naturally in animal products. The synthetic form of B12 (Cyanocobalamin contains Cyanide) found in B12 supplements is made for vegetarians - since they must supplement in order to get it. The synthetic form must be converted by our bodies into the two B12 forms we require: Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin - see: The Four Types of Vitamin B12: Which One Is Right for You?

So if you want high quality B12, it is best sourced from animal based foods where it occurs in the form the body requires. Foods containing the highest amount are animal livers - rich in iron, copper, the B vitamins and preformed vitamin A.

CSMLSM

B12 only exists naturally in animal products. The synthetic form of B12 (Cyanocobalamin contains Cyanide) found in B12 supplements is made for vegetarians - since they must supplement in order to get it. The synthetic form must be converted by our bodies into the two B12 forms we require: Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin - see: The Four Types of Vitamin B12: Which One Is Right for You?

So if you want high quality B12, it is best sourced from animal based foods where it occurs in the form the body requires. Foods containing the highest amount are animal livers - rich in iron, copper, the B vitamins and preformed vitamin A.
Nice addition to my post :)

Learner1

There are many other pharmacies who do this as well.

As for B12 supplements, I trust Thorne Research, Seeding Health, and Designs for Health. They are careful with ingredients, both for purity and quality. They also have formulations with other cofactors needed to make B12 work.

I agree about not trusting the B12 oils guy, having gone around and around with him myself and having him not acknowledge it respond to specifics that contradicted his world view.

Tammy

The two top places I recommend to get B12 is Global Healing and Vimergy. Cleanest that I know of and the right forms of B12 in my opinion.

acrosstheveil

There are many other pharmacies who do this as well.

As for B12 supplements, I trust Thorne Research, Seeding Health, and Designs for Health. They are careful with ingredients, both for purity and quality. They also have formulations with other cofactors needed to make B12 work.

I agree about not trusting the B12 oils guy, having gone around and around with him myself and having him not acknowledge it respond to specifics that contradicted his world view.
all i did was ask if it they used olive oil and they wouldn't answer. they kept saying it doesn't matter as it's taken externally. and they basically yelled at me over email. kind of absurd. don't want to support a business like that. they made it seem like i was bothering them over a simple question then would avoid the one question i had.

thanks for all the advice everyone!

Hip

would not recommend ordering from there.

There are no alternatives, if you want a form of transdermal B12 which is absorbed in amounts comparable to those you would get from a B12 injection.

One pump dose of Dr Greg Russell-Jones's B12 oil provides a systemic B12 dose of around 2000 mcg. Most B12 injections are about 500 mcg, so you can see that one pump dose is like getting four B12 injections.

The technology in Greg's B12 products is called a water-in-oil microemulsion. It is this technology which pulls the tiny specially-engineered microbubbles of B12 in the oil through the skin.

Greg is very protective of the tech he uses to make this B12 microemulsion product. I once asked him about the process, but he did not want to tell me anything, as he does not want competitors to knock off his ideas. This is probably why he did not want to give you any info.

However, you can read a bit about the microemulsions Greg uses in his published paper: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21413905/ or his patent here: https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2007070983A1/

Last edited:

Hip

That will not work. The megadoses of B12 required to obtain therapeutic effects in ME/CFS are often orders of magnitude higher than the daily nutritional requirements for B12.

I only started obtaining noticeable benefits from B12 when I began using Greg's B12 oils, which provide doses of methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin comparable to injections. I found significant improvements in brain fog from Greg's B12. See this post.

Prior to using Greg's B12 oils, I was sucking B12 sublingual tablets, but these did nothing for my ME/CFS symptoms. I found I needed megadoses of B12 to get therapeutic effects.

Last edited:

acrosstheveil

i found one of the highest quality b12s...check it out:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...ents-to-Reduce-Pollution-Impact-on-Earth.html

found in the seeking health brand b12 lozenges. i've had the best effects yet with the Mecobalactiv b12. much better than jarrow. it's a combination methylcobalamin/adenosylcobalamin b12.

“The production of the methylcobalamin form of B12 can be a contaminating process and typically involves using methyl iodide, a very volatile chemical classified as a prop 65 carcinogen, or dimethylsulfate which is another carcinogen and environmentally hazardous material,” said Cai Berg, president of Berg Nutrition. “This is why sometimes you will see the price of vitamin B12 spike in the winter. It’s because factories in other parts of the world must literally shut down for several months due to residents complaining of air pollution.”

this might explain some of the negative effects of cheaper b12s.

"MecobalActive is a European methylcobalamin form of B12 produced in Sant-Cugat, Barcelona, Spain by using dimethyl carbonate, which is environmentally innocuous and non-toxic and creates a harmless biodegradable byproduct. In Japan, MecobalActive maintains market leader status for its distinctive purity profile and production process that does not contribute to environmental pollution. It is a combination of fewer impurities, sustainability, lower humidity and superior stability that has given MecobalActive a unique position in the vitamin B12 market."

“MecobalActive is more expensive than other methylcobalamins, but you don’t have to overdose it in the finished product because it’s the purest form of vitamin B12 with the lowest amount of impurities and therefore very shelf stable. The lower overage provides a comparable cost in use, in the end,” said Berg. “It’s the impurities in most vitamin B12 ingredients that influence the stability and causes a shorter shelf life.”

Last edited:

acrosstheveil

i understand b12oils uses a proprietary formula but if he can't even tell me if it contains an allergen then I'm not willing to try it. i just wanted to know if it contained olive oil but he refuses to answer....i'm highly allergic

acrosstheveil

There are no alternatives, if you want a form of transdermal B12 which is absorbed in amounts comparable to those you would get from a B12 injection.

One pump dose of Dr Greg Russell-Jones's B12 oil provides a systemic B12 dose of around 2000 mcg. Most B12 injections are about 500 mcg, so you can see that one pump dose is like getting four B12 injections.

The technology in Greg's B12 products is called a water-in-oil microemulsion. It is this technology which pulls the tiny specially-engineered microbubbles of B12 in the oil through the skin.

Greg is very protective of the tech he uses to make this B12 microemulsion product. I once asked him about the process, but he did not want to tell me anything, as he does not want competitors to knock off his ideas. This is probably why he did not want to give you any info.

However, you can read a bit about the microemulsions Greg uses in his published paper: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21413905/ or his patent here: https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2007070983A1/
i just want to know if i'm going to have an allergic reaction to olive oil. but i guess he doesn't want us to know the type of carrier oil used.

Busson

i understand b12oils uses a proprietary formula but if he can't even tell me if it contains an allergen then I'm not willing to try it. i just wanted to know if it contained olive oil but he refuses to answer....i'm highly allergic
Yes, Greg is a bit of a mad scientist. He's technically very good and his oils work well for me but he can be a bit abupt when it comes to customer care. If you ask him again while making sure he hasn't misread your original email then you might get some useful info.

It's not like him to downplay the importance of allergies, although I can't say I myself have heard about an allergy to olive oil.

Johnmac

An update:

The Greg Russell-Jones B12 protocol - the transdermal oils + the transdermai iodine/selenium.molybdenum mix + oral B2 - appear to have reversed my pretty bad 3-year case of chronic fatigue.

I am also much more able to eat foods with oxalate, histamine & salicylate in them than I was 6 months ago.

There have been numerous other improvements as well.

i found one of the highest quality b12s...check it out:

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...ents-to-Reduce-Pollution-Impact-on-Earth.html

found in the seeking health brand b12 lozenges. i've had the best effects yet with the Mecobalactiv b12. much better than jarrow. it's a combination methylcobalamin/adenosylcobalamin b12.

“The production of the methylcobalamin form of B12 can be a contaminating process and typically involves using methyl iodide, a very volatile chemical classified as a prop 65 carcinogen, or dimethylsulfate which is another carcinogen and environmentally hazardous material,” said Cai Berg, president of Berg Nutrition. “This is why sometimes you will see the price of vitamin B12 spike in the winter. It’s because factories in other parts of the world must literally shut down for several months due to residents complaining of air pollution.”

this might explain some of the negative effects of cheaper b12s.

"MecobalActive is a European methylcobalamin form of B12 produced in Sant-Cugat, Barcelona, Spain by using dimethyl carbonate, which is environmentally innocuous and non-toxic and creates a harmless biodegradable byproduct. In Japan, MecobalActive maintains market leader status for its distinctive purity profile and production process that does not contribute to environmental pollution. It is a combination of fewer impurities, sustainability, lower humidity and superior stability that has given MecobalActive a unique position in the vitamin B12 market."

“MecobalActive is more expensive than other methylcobalamins, but you don’t have to overdose it in the finished product because it’s the purest form of vitamin B12 with the lowest amount of impurities and therefore very shelf stable. The lower overage provides a comparable cost in use, in the end,” said Berg. “It’s the impurities in most vitamin B12 ingredients that influence the stability and causes a shorter shelf life.”
Has anyone tried this?

Rufous McKinney

I got some sublingual B-12 that seems very very good: brand PURE THERAPRO from Colorado/ships out of Idaho.

After trying "less than" a drop (more like a bubble) for several days, one full drop was more than I could possibly tolerate. It must be VERY good.

Its in water and glycerine

Thank you. Coincidentally, that should be arriving in my mailbox any minute now. I'll follow up after I give it a try :)

Thank you. Coincidentally, that should be arriving in my mailbox any minute now. I'll follow up after I give it a try :)
Doesn't do much for me. Methylcobalamin is light (and physical shock) sensitive once water is added. 5 minutes of light reduces MeB12 potency by 40% and 15 minutes by 80%. So I suspect the MeB12 in the product is near worthless. I can feel the adensylcobalamin from it but it only lasts a few minutes. So, this product is not a solution for me. (Edit: maybe tomorrow I'll try taking 4 or 5 drops and see if it has any effect.)