• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My summer "vacation"

BrightCandle

I think you meant to post this in Josh Liesks thread, no?

Then again, it's none of my bizzy. Sorry. Rock on !!!

No, it is very much a "here is how you can ruin your week by messing up your meds". In my case Reishi + 5HTP and the interaction between them but in Marys case it was Vitamin C dose being too high. I see the parallels anyway!

Mary

Moderator Resource
No, it is very much a "here is how you can ruin your week by messing up your meds". In my case Reishi + 5HTP and the interaction between them but in Marys case it was Vitamin C dose being too high. I see the parallels anyway!
I see them too! Wow - I (and the UK) are very glad you got that sorted out quickly! :sluggish:

It is crazy, huh - how one thing can make such a difference! and yet if I never experimented, I would be so much worse off than I am now, how I used to be!

BrightCandle

I see them too! Wow - I (and the UK) are very glad you got that sorted out quickly! :sluggish:

It is crazy, huh - how one thing can make such a difference! and yet if I never experimented, I would be so much worse off than I am now, how I used to be!

If I didn't try these things I would still be in bed unable to move. The best thing I did was decide no one was going to help me and to start to help myself and treat what I could. At first I reduced my misery then I found something that really worked.

Gingergrrl

@Mary I am not around much on PR right now but just saw this thread and wanted to tell you that I am so sorry to hear that your vacation got canceled and you did not get to see your family! Will it be possible to re-schedule the trip (in some way or fashion) for another time?

I also had no idea that Vit C can cause insomnia. I take 1000 mg of Vit C per day but I take it in the afternoon w/all my other supplements and never had a problem. Although maybe what I take is too low of a dose to cause insomnia?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Will it be possible to re-schedule the trip (in some way or fashion) for another time?
Thanksgiving's the soonest I'm afraid . . . :(

About your dose of vitamin C - I've taken vitamin C for years. I've taken up to 10,000 or 12,000 mg a day when sick with no problem. My usual dose with regular vitamin C is about 4,000 mg a day - 1000 with each meal and more at night. I never got to bowel tolerance or had any problems. This was just regular vitamin C.

So apparently the liposomal vitamin C which I made is much more effective - and after I posted the above, someone told me that he had read that medics in the Korean and Vietnam wars used to inject vitamin C to keep themselves awake and going when they were hit with a lot of casualties! I'd never heard of this before.

Anyways, I'm assuming the insomnia only hits with really high doses and I don't think your 1000 mg a day comes anywhere close - If you're not having any symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it!

2Cor.12:19

Dang, @Mary - that’s rough. I’m so sorry. I battle crazy insomnia too and recently had to cave and start taking Trazodone along with melatonin. Any least bit of anticipation keeps me awake most or all night. Especially if it’s something good. I’ve had to cancel engagements due to not sleeping a wink. But I’m glad your son’s okay and you weren’t exposed.

lenora

Thanks @YippeeKi YOW !! - I think everyone on this forum could give the rest of the world a lesson in resilience, courage and endurance!

Aren't you sweet to write the above? There are some exceptionally brave people on this Forum, aren't there?

No, the trouble began 2 days before they were to even leave....flights were changed a few time and then they finally cancelled. The weather that weekend was absolutely perfect, at least in our area....may have been different near the airports, but it's more likely that it was the lack of employees, pilots and so many people. Anyway, a real shame for you and your family. I'm glad you hadn't booked a cruise. Yours, Lenora.

lenora

I think we should all strive to have empathy for others without judgement or jealousy.

You put so much time, thought, and effort into planning a visit with your family -- that would work for you and your limitations -- and I'm so sorry it didn't work out. How deeply disappointing.

Very kind of you, Zebra. I'm happy for other people b/c we never know what situations will face them in life. Sometimes very little makes us happy, too. Yes, I expect that we're all sorry that Mary's trip didn't work out. Doesn't exactly leave you feeling like you want to pack your bags, does it? Yours, Lenora.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Mary
Unwilling to leave this thread with the above moan about not wanting to ever pack bags again that absolutely doesnt reflect your incredibly gallant, chipper response in the face of what must have been deeply disappointing, I'd just like to tell you how impressed I was with your equanimity in the face of all this, and to say that, to paraphrase Cormac McCarthy, "We never know what worse luck our bad luck has saved us from ...".

And if your son and DIL could just ship Emma and Iggy to you for a little visit, it would be a nice little consolation prize ....

Here's knowing that Thanksgiving will be better. Or maybe Labor Day weekend?

Onward and upward :rocket::rocket::rocket:!!!! :hug::hug::hug:

EDIT .... For clarification ... as if ....

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Thanks @YippeeKi YOW !! ! :)
And if your son and DIL could just ship Emma and Iggy to you for a little visit, it would be a nice little consolation prize ....
I didn't even think of that, great idea! :rolleyes:

Thanksgiving will be better, and I may also take a short trip in Sept or Oct to Memphis to see the grandkds, I'd forgotten about that! So not totally bereft! :D

lenora

Thanks @YippeeKi YOW !! ! :)

I didn't even think of that, great idea! :rolleyes:

Thanksgiving will be better, and I may also take a short trip in Sept or Oct to Memphis to see the grandkds, I'd forgotten about that! So not totally bereft! :D

Do you think shorter trips are better for us....as in how short? They're certainly easier to pack and plan for. Yours, Lenora.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Tryptophan helps migraines?
Back in the 70's and 80's it was pretty much the only thing around that apparently seemed to reduce their frequency and intensity, or so I've heard ...

It's doubtful that it would have been pulled from the market to make room for a Pharma-produced prescription drug which had a modified form of typtophan as its primary ingredient if it didn;t do something ...

lenora

I agree @ Mary (& Good Morning!).....Proper breathing is an amazing thing. Very calming after the first few times.

I'll have to read about the thiamine deficiency. I have no idea why insomnia is such a huge part of my life. In my case, b/c of surgery near the sleep center of the brain, I feel it has to do with that, as it all began when I was in my late 20's and steadily worsened. Still, it can't help to learn and may help.

Also, @Mary, what about shorter trips? I didn't even make it down to my daughter's house for lunch yesterday (to be there at 3:30 p.m., and probably eating around 5:30 p.m. to accommodate me). When I said, "Yes," I honestly believed she meant lunch...which I could probably make. But then she changed everything, probably on a whim b/c of what she found at the grocery store. She's a fabulous cook.

Now she thinks I'm agoraphobic on top of things....which means the other daughter does too. She wants me to see my therapist....I want her to stuff it! No, I don't have agoraphobia, although I may develop kidaphobia! The "kids" are now 50 and 47. Is there any end to what this illness causes? How can I turn this around and be optimistic? Ideas? I'll have to work on this one. Yours, Lenora.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Also, @Mary, what about shorter trips? I didn't even make it down to my daughter's house for lunch yesterday (to be there at 3:30 p.m., and probably eating around 5:30 p.m. to accommodate me). When I said, "Yes," I honestly believed she meant lunch...which I could probably make. But then she changed everything, probably on a whim b/c of what she found at the grocery store
Now she thinks I'm agoraphobic on top of things....which means the other daughter does too. She wants me to see my therapist....I want her to stuff it!
@lenora , I'm a little speechless here! Your daughters should be very well aware of your severe health issues you've had forever. I'd want to tell her to stuff it too!

And your plan to go to lunch sounded fine - I'm the same way. I have to plan everything carefully in order not to crash, if at all possible. And if someone suddenly changes everything, I would be in trouble too.

About short trips - travel itself wears me out, so actually a longer trip (in terms of days,( not hours for a day trip) is easier - yes, it's more packing etc., but less travel time to days spent - e.g., a 4-day trip would be 2 days traveling (there and back) so 2 days to "enjoy", one of which would be crashed from traveling the day before, so only one "good" day (for me). So an 8-day trip would have 2 travel days to 6 other days, though there would be crashes in between too. It's all math! :D