• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My exercise program

Jody

Well, I fell off of this thing about a week ago.

Pressures and time constraints from other things got in the way and I let this go. I don't feel guilty about it, and I am not going to try to work harder to "catch up".

LOL

Catch up to what exactly, to me? :)

I have to write a 500 word article on Yoga for Edubook.com, so I googled yoga, and ... left the research and did some yoga. :D

I did some crunches with arms crossed over my chest. I did some crunches combined with touching elbows NEAR alternate knees as I brought them up toward my chest. (Near because there's no way I'm flexible enough to do more than that. :))

Sat up on my exercise mat and did some yoga-type stretches (bunny slope version so not real yoga -- less stretch for less time than the real thing). Stretched my spine and hamstrings mostly. And worked my neck and shoulders a bit. They have been punished for 3 -4 months as I've been typing aLOT.:D

Did this pilates-type thing called the Boat? I believe, sitting on the mat, leaning backward, with legs raised so you're headed for a V shape but modified for your own comfort. Arms outstretched. Face aimed at the ceiling, not down, so your neck muscles get worked too. I just do this pose once and hold the pose till I start to tremble all over :D Works all muscles in the front of your torso and legs.

Did 3.5 lb. weights again. 2 lifts to the front, hands up, 2 to the front, hands down. 2 to the side, up to shoulders. 2 in back, bent over, using lower back as a base for your hands holding weights, elbows up. Raise weights slowly upward, thus straightening elbows. Easier to show than to describe. :) This last one works triceps, which tend to go batlike for middle age women.:rolleyes:

Also did 6 sissy squats using dumbbells, lowering them to the ground with each squat, then slowly bringing them up arms to the sides as you stand back up.

Last thing was to lay face down on my bed, with a 3.5 lb weight between my ankles. Bent legs at the knees, raised lower legs still holding dumbbell. Hold for maybe a 5 count, then lower feet and dumbbell all the way down. Did this 8 times. Rested for a minute on my face. :D

That was it for the night.

Frickly

Your so good,

right now I'm typing with one hand and holding a glass of wine with the other.:eek:

Jody

Frickly,

I see you have found a new workout. :) And with both hands, too.

You seem to be enjoying it. :D

wine and typing

It sounds as if you might be exercising your mental abilities more than the physical. Using both hands at once on two separate activities is not an easy thing to accomplish.

Is it somewhat similar to patting your head with your left hand while rubbing a circle on your tummy with your right hand?

Put the wine down first before you attempt this...

Jody

Angel,

I think what Frickly is doing here is a holistic enterprise.

Therapy for both mind and body ... :D

Lisa

Just wanted remind everyone to have rest days from the exercise.

I found one resource this last year that suggested a weekly schedule of 2 days on exercise, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off. Jeremy and I tried this out last spring when we were feeling a bit more spry and it seems to be a very good schedule if you keep within your limits.

Easy on the mind too. First day you feel very rested so it is easy. Second day you can think 'tomorrow I have a day off so I can do this'. Fourth day I would think 'just gotta get through today and tomorrow for a longer rest'. Fifth day 'this is the last day this week and then two days off, woo!'.

Hope this helps! And beware any tennis elbow type injuries Frickly, your exercise routine sounds pretty advanced! :D

Lisa :)

Jody

Lisa,

Sounds like it was working for you. That's good. :)

What works best for me is to exercise one day and take the next day off. Always going by how I feel as well. Usually what it works out to is one day on, one day off, one day on, one day off, then another day off, because I seem to need an extra rest day or two over the longer term.

Main thing for all of us is to take it easy, to only increase as you are really able to. This isn't a contest with yourself or anyone else. The only thing that matters is what works for you.

Jody

Yes, Frickly COULD be in danger of some tennis elbow.:rolleyes:

We'll need to keep an eye on her.

Frickly!

How IS your wine therapy going? "D

Jody

Fallen completely off the wagon with this for awhile now.

Been going for some walks, that is about it.

Things around me are settling down some, we'll see if it's enough to be able to get back into some of this soon ...

exercise

Hi Jody:

Sometimes we have to take another look at why we thought we should be doing that exercise program.

You have given me some flash backs with this dialog.

I would like to recommend relaxing with walking and forget about everything else. I have found that too much variety can be more tiring than just doing one thing.

Aim for at least a 5 min walk every day, but every other day try to go further. Just write the minutes on your calendar and try to monitor not going too far too days in a row, or skipping more than two days in a row.

If that goes well, then maybe next year you can add something else. Walking is so beneficial to the mind and spirit as well as the physical.

Enjoy!

Jody

Angel,

That may be just the right thing for me right now.

In other areas of life, I have more going on than I've had in ... years. Most of it is great, but ... maybe it's enough variety for now.

Walking is something I really enjoy and it is an opportunity to be alone with my thoughts, something that isn't happening much lately.

(I blame you all for this! And, ... I thank you for it, from the bottom of my heart. :D)