• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Multi-omics of host-microbiome interactions in short- and long-term Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)

SWAlexander

Abstract
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex, multi-system, debilitating disability manifesting as severe fatigue and post-exertional malaise. The chronic dysfunctions in ME/CFS are increasingly recognized as significant health factors with potential parallels with "long COVID". However, the etiology of ME/CFS remains elusive with limited high-resolution human studies. In addition, reliable biomarker-based diagnostics have not been well-established, but may assist in disease classification, particularly during different temporal phases of the disease. Here, we performed deep multi-omics (shotgun metagenomics of gut microbiota and plasma metabolomics) and clinical phenotyping of healthy controls (n=79) vs. two cohorts of ME/CFS patients: those with short-term disease (<4 years, n=75), and patients with long-term disease (>10y, n=79). Overall, ME/CFS was characterized by reduced gut microbiome diversity and richness with high heterogeneity, and depletion of sphingomyelins and short-chain fatty acids in the plasma. We found significant differences when stratifying by cohort; short-term ME/CFS was associated with more microbial dysbiosis, but long-term ME/CFS was associated with markedly more severe phenotypic and metabolic abnormalities. We identified a reduction in the gene-coding capacity (and relative abundance of butyrate producers) of microbial butyrate biosynthesis together with a reduction in the plasma concentration of butyrate, especially in the short-term group. Global co-association and detailed gene pathway correlation analyses linking the microbiome and metabolome identified additional potential biological mechanisms underlying host-microbiome interactions in ME/CFS, including bile acids and benzoate pathways. Finally, we built multiple state-of-the-art classifiers to identify microbes, microbial gene pathways, metabolites, and clinical features that individually or together, were most able to differentiate short or long-term MECFS, or MECFS vs. healthy controls. Taken together, our study presents the highest resolution, multi-cohort and multi-omics analysis to date, providing an important resource to facilitate mechanistic hypotheses of host-microbiome interactions in ME/CFS.
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.27.466150v1
1635602674327.png

Last edited:

Pyrrhus

Thanks for posting this (Xiong et al., 2021) preprint, including the work of Lucinda Bateman, Derya Unutmaz, and Suzanne Vernon!

Here's Figure 1 and Figure 2 from the preprint:

1635612813943.png

1635613624071.png

Last edited:

Wishful

For those interested in the paper, you might also want to read this news item: https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/microbiome-gut-bacteria-inflammation-colitis-pgp/

"But more recently P-gp has been found to also play a key anti-inflammatory role in the gut, producing molecules known as endocannabinoids which suppress inflammation.

The new research found P-gp expression is influenced by a combination of gut bacteria metabolites. Most importantly the research found P-gp expression is not regulated by one single metabolite or species of bacteria. Instead, P-gp expression is induced by a synergistic combination of a short-chain fatty acid known as butyrate and three secondary bile acids (LCA, DCA, and UDCA).

Optimal P-gp expression was detected only when all of these molecules were working in concert with one another. Merran Dunford, a researcher from the University of Bath working on the study, says the big finding here is the discovery of a cross-talk mechanism highlighting how a healthy microbiome can communicate with the immune systems to keep inflammatory activity in the gut in balance."