• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Moving house with ME/CFS

mermaid

Hello @mermaid.....you surely will miss your home when you move, but then London will provide excitement right outside your door, won't it?

If you'll miss your furniture, then you should by all means keep it. I know what you mean - as the years pass some things are always a part of our "home." Actually we did that with Rod's mother...she had a large suite all to herself, en suite bathroom, but we took in personal items and furniture that we know would mean more to her and perhaps she wouldn't feel as alienated.

Your daughter-in-law sounds very kind and helpful and I'm sure she'll be happy to take a trip to the tip with things you don't want. I hope COVID doesn't make things difficult like it did for @Treeman and his wife. It's hard enough to make such a large move when older, let alone outside problems interfering.

Do you have grandchildren in London? My mother-in-law joined a lot of local activities after her second husband died. It sounds like your son and his wife will take good care of you and I'm sure you'll make friends within the first year.

Yes, I would hate to leave Devon also....there are so many wonderful towns and villages in the area, and so much to do. We liked it there, but they asked us which place would be easiest....and of course it was Bath. My father-in-law was from Bath, so that made it helped immensely. They had lived there off and on for many years.

But London....so much to do on any day of the week! Be careful and don't tire yourself out too much. Wishing you a good experience. Yours, Lenora.

Ha ha @lenora I am definitely not going to this place for the excitement! Actually where I will be is what was Surrey, now called Greater London, so very much on the outskirts, but it's true that the 'excitement' is only a short train ride away. I find crowded places scary though, so won't be going often I think.

No grandchildren with this son - not sure they will have any actually but I am OK either way.

There are many things to do there I know already. I plan to volunteer with Oxfam as I have been doing this where I am now. Also yes, hopefully I will make friends, and as I will be in a retirement flat complex, I hope people there will be friendly too as we are all in the same boat together. There are some lovely parks nearby, so I hope to go to them as I will miss my garden, and also my son and his wife have an allotment, and I can help them with that, or even get my own and share that with them as they want extra ground. It's a nice quiet space which I have already been to, and with some very friendly people to chat with.

mermaid

I had collected a lot of metal items, for possible projects, such as ones using engines and axles, etc. Here we have guys who will pick up scrap metal for selling to a scrap dealer, so I managed to dispose of all those wonderful potential treasures without having to haul it all away myself. It turned out to be ~13 tons worth. I'm so glad I didn't have to haul it all away myself. He also bought my woodworking machines and I gave him my collection of hardwood stock as a gift, happy knowing that someone will enjoy it.

I had a really nice metal lathe that I bought at an auction. I used it a few times, but ME made it hard to concentrate (important for safety), and my ageing eyes could no longer focus properly without getting my face too near the whirling lathe chuck, so I had to give it up. Luckily the guy who bought my place wanted it, so again a convenient solution.

I had a lot of fun collecting all that stuff, and plenty of pleasure of imagining the projects I'd make with them, but there was also a great sense of relief in clearing it all out. I was finding that all those projects that I wasn't able to do were a stressful burden.

Goodness me @Wishful that kind of thing puts my problems in the shade, 13 tons!! It's lovely when you can pass stuff on to someone else though who will appreciate it. I am about to give away one of my sewing machines to someone who could use it.

How old are you Wishful? My eyes are not so good these days either, as I have had eye operations on them over the past 12 years or so - detached retinas in one, and macular hole in the other - but I am very lucky as 40 years ago such ops didn't exist and I would have been almost totally blinded by them. I do get tired eyes though for sure.

lenora

Hi Mermaid.....You sound as if you've made some good, sound plans for settling into Surrey. Sorry about mistaking Cornwall for Devon, I have no idea why I did that.

You're undertaking a big change in your life and I'm sure your sons and daughter-in-law will bear that in mind. You sound like you have a great attitude, and that alone can do wonders. Yours Lenora.

Wishful

How old are you Wishful?

60 now. 20 years of ME. I don't qualify for cataract surgery yet, which I hope will improve my ability to focus. I've always been very nearsighted, but now it seems harder to focus on near things, which is really annoying. I have to take my glasses off and hold whatever it is up to one eye, since they differ too much to focus both at the same distance. I was really delighted to learn that cataract surgery is now available in the closest small town. Having to travel 500+ km per trip with being unable to drive back after eye surgery, and no bus service anymore, is a real obstacle to eye surgery or any other special medical services.

lenora

HI Wishful.....Is there any chance of spending two nights in a city that has a surgeon whose clinic can arrange for you to be picked up and dropped off. The surgeon generally wants to see you after the surgery anyway...so that would mean two trips for you per eye.

I only ask b/c we're surrounded by clinics who offer this service in our area. I understand they're very good about being on time, etc. I know my surgeon saw me on the very afternoon after each eye was done. I had transportation, but no, you shouldn't be driving until you've been cleared by the surgeon. Wishing you some help in this area.....Yours, Lenora.

Wishful

It'll probably be a few years before I qualify for cataract surgery, so I won't worry about the details now, since they may change by then. I hadn't thought of the option of staying in the city for a night or two; that might be cheaper than hired transport, and less hassle. Unless the local surgery option is cancelled, it's only 25 km away. Maybe by then I'll have either a recumbent bicycle or an electric-assist one, so it's technically not driving. ;)

Maybe by then there's be other options, such as nanobots that eat cataracts. :)

Emmarose47

Hi mermaid.
Firstly.i.want to say your amazing and u also help.me as we really are vulnerable to life situations being so much more tricky ...
I've been thinking of moving lately and as someone 90% housebound it seems a monumentous task .. ( I'm not moving but was just entertaining the idea ..
My stress and nerves struggle at the best of times ..
I hire a friend of friend to cook and clean for me and she would be a great help if I needed to pack etc .. .
A suggestion for u could be to advertise for a home help / PA type person under the women with physical disabilty health issues catagory .
That way your likely to attract other women of a more caring nature ..
I'm in the UK too there is a website called next door and u find your local area .
I've seen people be helped with all sorts of things unpaid and paid . It is really heart warming how many good people there are out there esp since these covid times ...
Gumtree could be another way ,local shops pin boards and ask around people u know to put the word out ..

Sounds a good plan to be near your family . Close support is worth its weight in gold with this syndrome . On so many levels practical , emotional and social. Those of us who don't have family support Def struggle more .

Sending u all good wishes for your new adventure ... London has some great green spaces and community vibe ... Will of course be different to Cornwall but life changes and we get to appreciate old lives and new ..x

mermaid

I am a few weeks further down the road of moving house and the house selling and buying of a flat has progressed a lot faster than I envisaged. I sold the house, subject to contract, within 2 weeks and my son went to view a flat that I am happy with and is now sold to me STC (one bedroom garden flat - has french door right out to the shared garden). My son took lots of photos and a video so I have a real feel for the place. I did consider making a trip there, but it would be at least 2 nights away, very long journey, and I am 'crashed' anyway at present so am glad that I didn't. It's a Churchill flat - they are a chain that is building many more at present for all the old fogies like me!!

My big problem is that I keep 'crashing' and getting what I thought were anxiety symptoms, but I think they are just part of my system being revved up and unable to cope. I am now trying very hard to get to bed earlier as since my husband died I have a psychological problem with this. If I make it before 12 then I feel it's a bonus, so last night it was around 11.30 which felt better. I woke up a bit earlier it's true, but got 7 hrs sleep which is OK. 8 would be better....

One of the symptoms I had earlier in the week really scared me as when I looked it up I was worried that it was Atrial Fibrillation. I thought that you could only get that with a high BP and I don't have that - mine is either low or normal. I had a bit of fluttering in the chest area just briefly a few times. However now I am addressing things it's not come back. I think that anxiety can trigger an attack but I am not aware that I have ever had it before.

Being on T3 via the NHS I am concerned that if I revealed this to a Dr or Endo then that would be the first thing to go!! It has helped my quality of life over the years, and I will have to fight to keep it when I move so I don't want to give them any levers ideally by mentioning it (unless of course it got worse then I would have to).

I am beginning to try things to help me slow down and cope with all that I have to do. The viewings have stopped which is a huge relief (I had 12 in the first week). There has been a lot about women and Autism Spectrum Disorder in the press recently and I have wondered for some months whether some of my 'issues' are more to do with ASD than with ME/CFS. I have some very specific traits but not others - I think maybe some of the issues of dealing with selling the house have to do with ASD perhaps (ie I was surprised to find the viewings bit so stressful even though the Agent did it all - I think part of it was the ME/CFS though as I got exhausted trying to keep it all clean and tidy).

I re-remembered lavender and someone above reminded me (thanks @Learner1 . I am sniffing it in several times a day and using it on my clothes and bedding. I think it is wonderfully potent, and is definitely helping.

Also as well as taking magnesium orally, I am now remembering to do a footbath a few times a week. I did one last night and woke up feeling very tired but relaxed.

I am about to send off for some CBD oil as I thought that might help me too.

I have an underactive thyroid (well treated I think as I am T3 only), and am wondering if my adrenals are struggling (I know that adrenal fatigue is viewed sceptically by the powers that be) and it's probably not a good term anyway. Whatever, I am going to try a bit of Hydrocortisone cream in the very short term - not keen on the idea anyway, and I can obtain anything else easily.

I am trying to slow it all down but there is a LOT to do with paperwork as well, though I now have that half done. I have a quote for my favoured removal firm - expensive, but worth it as at the end of the day they will do it all for me if needed.

I am beginning to ask friends/neighbour to help me. My kind neighbour cleared my loft for me at the weekend, and a friend is coming next week to help me start on the cupboards. Ideally I would like to get rid of stuff, but it takes time sorting it first and only I can do that really.

Learner1

am wondering if my adrenals are struggling (I know that adrenal fatigue is viewed sceptically by the powers that be) and it's probably not a good term anyway. Whatever, I am going to try a bit of Hydrocortisone cream in the very short term - not keen on the idea anyway, and I can obtain anything else easily.
Given that you have been under stress with all this going on, it's not outside the realm of possibility that your adrenals are struggling. Testing 24 hour cortisol in saliva or urine would help you figure out what's going on and at what time of day would be best to take it.

A replacement dose of hydrocortisone is between 20 and 30mg, but you might find as little as 2.5mg to be helpful. The attached might be helpful too.

There are also several adrenal support products on the market - this one is my favorite:

"Vital Nutrients Adrenal Support -- 60 Capsules - Vitacost" https://www.vitacost.com/vital-nutr...bxt4thO1JZhj230cAehoCCdwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Another thing that might help change inappropriate sleep timing (awake at night, sleepy during the day) is this:

"Interplexus Seriphos® - 100 Capsules" https://www.pureformulas.com/seriph...U3v4jhW9s2zB1WYZ6iJ-5gKp1og9-lXxoChLsQAvD_BwE

This is also a time to pay attention to better sleep hygiene, Going to bed at the same time every day, making sure there's no light or disturbance in your room, avoiding too much caffeine or alcohol near bed time.

Glad the lavender helps;😉

Attachments

• Holtorf HPA axis dysfunction - Diagnosis Treatment CFS FM.pdf
    244.4 KB · Views: 12

lenora

So glad that the hardest bit is over....selling of house & purchasing what sounds like a great new home. Perhaps you'll end up moving even earlier now that everything has been taken care of.

You're right, a train trip from Devon to London would really have done you in. The video sounds great and you can begin imagining your furniture in its new home. You're bound to have a lot of symptoms of different things until you get settled in and give yourself time to settle in. Be patient & don't even read about them.

How nice that the loft has been cleaned out, and the rest you'll just chip at day by day. I can't imagine the feeling I'd have towards someone saying those words to me though! I think a lot of things would just go into the garbage....whether they deserve it or not. Salvation Army's always good, so I'll remember.

Yes, keeping a home clean around-the-clock simply isn't easy. You obviously did a good job, though, so good for you! Churchill housing.....haven't heard of that. We had a hard time finding a really nice nursing home for Rod's mother, but did so in the end. Thank goodness. You're a no. of steps away from that and I know you're very excited to see your new flat. Things work out a lot. Yours, Lenora.

mermaid

Given that you have been under stress with all this going on, it's not outside the realm of possibility that your adrenals are struggling. Testing 24 hour cortisol in saliva or urine would help you figure out what's going on and at what time of day would be best to take it.

A replacement dose of hydrocortisone is between 20 and 30mg, but you might find as little as 2.5mg to be helpful. The attached might be helpful too.

There are also several adrenal support products on the market - this one is my favorite:

"Vital Nutrients Adrenal Support -- 60 Capsules - Vitacost" https://www.vitacost.com/vital-nutrients-adrenal-support-60-capsules-1?CSRC=PPCADW-GGL_SEM_NB+PURE_US_PRO_DSA_Vitamins+&+Supplements_NA-&network=g&keywordname=&device=m&adid=39700047316648267&matchtype=b&gclick=CjwKCAiAqIKNBhAIEiwAu_ZLDiG0fP_-JcMpZJ0-LoET45ph87cTr5nv0Labxt4thO1JZhj230cAehoCCdwQAvD_BwE&ds_agid=58700005322648537&targetid=&s_kwcid=AL!9700!10!{AdId}!{OrderItemId}&gclid=CjwKCAiAqIKNBhAIEiwAu_ZLDiG0fP_-JcMpZJ0-LoET45ph87cTr5nv0Labxt4thO1JZhj230cAehoCCdwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Another thing that might help change inappropriate sleep timing (awake at night, sleepy during the day) is this:

"Interplexus Seriphos® - 100 Capsules" https://www.pureformulas.com/seriph...U3v4jhW9s2zB1WYZ6iJ-5gKp1og9-lXxoChLsQAvD_BwE

This is also a time to pay attention to better sleep hygiene, Going to bed at the same time every day, making sure there's no light or disturbance in your room, avoiding too much caffeine or alcohol near bed time.

Glad the lavender helps;😉

@Learner1 Thank you! I did the cortisol saliva test 3 times over about 4 years a while back when I was already on the T3. The results are not quite consistent, but I think I improved for a while and then slipped back. The Sample 2 seems the most consistently low which sounds about right, as though I am rather low in energy when I wake up. I generally feel much better after breakfast but it slowly drops off after some hours.

Unfortunately it's not possible to get oral hydrocortisone on the NHS here in the UK unless you are diagnosed with a serious testable condition, and the saliva tests are not considered to be reliable here in mainstream medicine. However, last time I was in dire need, a friend suggested that I bought a tube of hydrocortisone cream which you can get over the counter for other reasons, and put a little on the skin in a different place each day so you don't thin the skin. It will of course be a tiny dose as the tube is tiny but maybe better than nothing for emergency use.

Thank you for your suggestion of the Vital Nutrients Adrenal Support. I managed to find it for sale in the UK for a reasonable price, so have bought it. I like the mix of ingredients re herbs and the adrenal cortex. I do go to a medical herbalist but I don't think she is using any of those herbs with me at present.

Thank you for the sleep capsules suggestion. I will give them a miss at present as it's more a case of not going to bed when I should (ie better sleep hygiene needed). It's a kind of psychological issue I think since my husband died last year. However I do note that when I do go earlier that I will go off to sleep, but then wake up earlier, so I probably don't get much more sleep. It was around 7 hrs last night though which is OK I think. I don't drink caffeine or alcohol, and have a very quiet dark room at present as I have quiet neighbours and have lined curtains, and no road front or back of my house.

I think some of the things I am doing are beginning to work. I had a very bad fall yesterday when I was out. I was inside a building watching a performance with a group I used to be part of. After the performance I went to get a drink and didn't notice a tiny platform (only about 3 inches high) and tripped on it and went flying forwards onto my left knee. I kept passing out and had to lie flat on the floor for 15 mins before the shock wore off re low BP I expect. The people there were very kind and supported me and took me home. Luckily my knee only has carpet burn and is a bit swollen and bruised but nothing broken.

I thought that today I would be a wreck, but oddly I am not, so I have conclude that the measures I have put in place are already working!

mermaid

So glad that the hardest bit is over....selling of house & purchasing what sounds like a great new home. Perhaps you'll end up moving even earlier now that everything has been taken care of.

You're right, a train trip from Devon to London would really have done you in. The video sounds great and you can begin imagining your furniture in its new home. You're bound to have a lot of symptoms of different things until you get settled in and give yourself time to settle in. Be patient & don't even read about them.

How nice that the loft has been cleaned out, and the rest you'll just chip at day by day. I can't imagine the feeling I'd have towards someone saying those words to me though! I think a lot of things would just go into the garbage....whether they deserve it or not. Salvation Army's always good, so I'll remember.

Yes, keeping a home clean around-the-clock simply isn't easy. You obviously did a good job, though, so good for you! Churchill housing.....haven't heard of that. We had a hard time finding a really nice nursing home for Rod's mother, but did so in the end. Thank goodness. You're a no. of steps away from that and I know you're very excited to see your new flat. Things work out a lot. Yours, Lenora.

Thank you @lenora
I am still hoping that the move will be February to give me plenty of time to clear what I can of unwanted things.

There are many charity shops where I live in the main shopping centre, including one that I volunteer in, so I am taking in what I can carry. (it's Cornwall not Devon, so even further from London!). If I get too much, a friend has offered to help me with her car for some of it.

At worst the removal firm will arrive and just take all the rest in their van and I will need to sort it out when I get there but hopefully there won't be too much to worry about, as it's a pain to find you have brought too much to a smaller place. I just had a quote from a very much recommended removal firm that is eyewatering, but they will do all my packing for me, which is a huge help and I know they are a good firm that I can rely on.

Yes, I think that finding a good nursing home is definitely harder than finding a good retirement flat, so it was great that you were able to find the right place for your mother in law.

Learner1

@mermaid Hope you recover quickly from your fall! And, I hope the Adrenal Support and sleep aids work. Is there a private doctor who could prescribe hydrocortisone if needed? I don't find the cream approaches what even 1-2mg of oral hydrocortisone does. Anyway, good luck!😃

mermaid

@mermaid Hope you recover quickly from your fall! And, I hope the Adrenal Support and sleep aids work. Is there a private doctor who could prescribe hydrocortisone if needed? I don't find the cream approaches what even 1-2mg of oral hydrocortisone does. Anyway, good luck!😃

Thank you @Learner1 I think the bruising etc is coming out a bit more now, and the skin has extreme sensitivity due to the friction burn, so I can't bend it comfortably, but I can tell there is no further internal damage. I think it will be much better in a week or so.

I must admit that I have never tried oral hydrocortisone due to the difficulty in obtaining it here, plus reservations about using it due to having osteoporosis. I think it's possible to get it privately, but at the moment I live in a remote area where it's hard to get to see someone. I am going to be moving much closer to London where it will be easier in future to find someone privately. I will ask about it on the UK forums and see what is said re the private route.

When I had the saliva tests done, I noted that my DHEA was always within normal levels, so I presume that I am not a bad case! I have dropped my T3 back to 45 mcg at present, as I had only increased it to 50 mcg in Sept where it seemed to help with the feelings of exhaustion I had over the summer. I may spread it out a bit more though sometimes taking the extra 5 at night time. I just think that maybe the extra bit was adding to the challenge for my adrenals at present.

I didn't thank you for the Kent Holtorf article that you linked to in the previous message, which I have now downloaded. Not had time to read all of it yet, but I like him very much, and have an article that I printed out of his from a while back about T3.

Unfortunately mainstream medicine here in the UK is useless with both ME/CFS and any thyroid dysfunction that doesn't follow the norm (ie take T4/Thyroxine and all witll be well formula!). There are people on thyroid forums who believe that ME/CFS is caused by a dysfunctional thyroid/adrenals rather than it being a separate entity so I go on both kinds of groups/forums to get a more helpful overview.

HPA dysfunction in ME/CFS has been written about mainstream I believe, and studied presumably even in the UK, but they don't seem to come up with useful ways to treat it here that are biomedical, (given that the so-called 'experts' thought that GET and CBT were the way to go - and many still do despite the new NICE guidelines). Thankfully I have always managed to avoid GET and CBT, but then pretty much left to my own devices, other than the T3 which when given to me, was made clear it was for they thyroid not the ME/CFS, (as the specialties so like to keep everything separate, forgetting that the body itself doesn't work like that!).

Learner1

Thank you @Learner1 I think the bruising etc is coming out a bit more now, and the skin has extreme sensitivity due to the friction burn, so I can't bend it comfortably, but I can tell there is no further internal damage. I think it will be much better in a week or so.
That's good news! I'm not sure if you've tried arnica Montana in gel or cream form, but it will s extremely helpful with making bruises go away faster.
I must admit that I have never tried oral hydrocortisone due to the difficulty in obtaining it here, plus reservations about using it due to having osteoporosis.
it will not only promote osteoporosis if it's in excess. If you're replacing what you need to function, it should be ok.
Unfortunately mainstream medicine here in the UK is useless with both ME/CFS and any thyroid dysfunction that doesn't follow the norm (ie take T4/Thyroxine and all witll be well formula!). There are people on thyroid forums who believe that ME/CFS is caused by a dysfunctional thyroid/adrenals rather than it being a separate entity so I go on both kinds of groups/forums to get a more helpful overview.
I find Thyroid Patients Canada blog and FB group to be full of helpful info - better than STTM.
Thankfully I have always managed to avoid GET and CBT, but then pretty much left to my own devices, other than the T3 which when given to me, was made clear it was for they thyroid not the ME/CFS, (as the specialties so like to keep everything separate, forgetting that the body itself doesn't work like that!).
I've found that getting help is best achieved for anything but ME/CFS, as there are no standard treatments for ME/CFS. Much better to have several different problems each treated separately.

lenora

Sorry @mermaid......I know you're from Cornwall, but by hook or crook, I'm turning it into Devon. Perhaps the photo of the sea did it, I don't know. But yes, you're even farther away from London, so the move is very timely. Besides, you may get medical care there as I've heard that a lot of small towns will soon be without doctors and hospitals and some areas. (Well, they are here too....you just don't hear as much about it). People aren't moving to out of the way places, doctors retire and folks are left to driving 45-60 miles for medical care. A shame.

Too bad about your fall....these are the things that make us realize we really should be closer to help. I'm just very pleased that the selling and buying went as easily as both did. You'll have spring in London, won't you?

I feel very energetic and young again and want to move to a farm when I see programs like Jeremy Clarkson's Farm Adventure and those of other more ordinary, down to earth folks. Still, when you think of the work that's involved, the nights and days devoted to sick or expectant animals to say nothing of bring in crops, you realize that it takes a very strong and strong-minded individual(s) to do this. I would love the animals....but I don't know about the overall responsibility. My grandparents had a farm when I was young...that was just about perfect and why I have this dream of one now. Anyway, you're heading in a different direction and that's pretty exciting too.

So yes, I know you're from Cornwall (keep reminding me). We stayed on a farm B & B with our daughters many years ago in that area. Great fun, every child should be exposed to it. But now you'll be off on short trips, perhaps longer ones and there is so much to do if you can take a bus into the busy part of London. Good luck.
Relax and take a deep breath....you've done a great job! Yours, Lenora.

mermaid

Sorry @mermaid......I know you're from Cornwall, but by hook or crook, I'm turning it into Devon. Perhaps the photo of the sea did it, I don't know. But yes, you're even farther away from London, so the move is very timely. Besides, you may get medical care there as I've heard that a lot of small towns will soon be without doctors and hospitals and some areas. (Well, they are here too....you just don't hear as much about it). People aren't moving to out of the way places, doctors retire and folks are left to driving 45-60 miles for medical care. A shame.

Too bad about your fall....these are the things that make us realize we really should be closer to help. I'm just very pleased that the selling and buying went as easily as both did. You'll have spring in London, won't you?

I feel very energetic and young again and want to move to a farm when I see programs like Jeremy Clarkson's Farm Adventure and those of other more ordinary, down to earth folks. Still, when you think of the work that's involved, the nights and days devoted to sick or expectant animals to say nothing of bring in crops, you realize that it takes a very strong and strong-minded individual(s) to do this. I would love the animals....but I don't know about the overall responsibility. My grandparents had a farm when I was young...that was just about perfect and why I have this dream of one now. Anyway, you're heading in a different direction and that's pretty exciting too.

So yes, I know you're from Cornwall (keep reminding me). We stayed on a farm B & B with our daughters many years ago in that area. Great fun, every child should be exposed to it. But now you'll be off on short trips, perhaps longer ones and there is so much to do if you can take a bus into the busy part of London. Good luck.
Relax and take a deep breath....you've done a great job! Yours, Lenora.

@lenora you are absolutely right about the medical care problem! We only have one large hospital in the whole of Cornwall and things are horrendous there at present. If you call an ambulance then you might be waiting all day, and with no transport I would be a sitting duck.

It's been bad for some years but the black alerts would only happen occasionally, and are now all the time. I went in to the hospital after a detached retina about 5 years back, and it was December in the middle of a crisis, and I was pressured into having a local anaesthetic by the specialist as it would be less trouble for them, but caused me dreadful stress symptoms that I won't go into here... just hope it never happens again!! In retrospect I guess the adrenaline in the local anaesthetic made it a lot worse for me.

My daughter in law used to a London Paramedic on the ambulances, but is now doing a different role. At least she is around sometimes, and being London the ambulance and hospitals are better equipped, but it's pretty bad throughout right now. People are dying queuing up to get into the hospitals due to lack of staff/resources.

The fall I had is taking a while to sort itself out - slowly healing but it's painful still with some movements like stair climbing - also the PEM issues from it too. It could have been so much worse though. I have written to the people responsible for Health and Safety for the building I was in, as the trip hazard is not marked well enough in my opinion.

That is great that you feel energetic and young again Lenora! You have ME/CFS I presume and have recovered or much improved? How did that happen?

The idea of a farm sounds idyllic but yes, the 24 hrs duty of care to animals is a lot to manage. Even having a pet comes with that and I don't have any for that reason and others (not having a car makes me feel I could not get to a vet easily). I will be able to share enjoyment of my son's cat when I move though! I actually like guinea pigs the best, but not the best animals to keep in a flat - too cruel by far.

mermaid

That's good news! I'm not sure if you've tried arnica Montana in gel or cream form, but it will s extremely helpful with making bruises go away faster.
it will not only promote osteoporosis if it's in excess. If you're replacing what you need to function, it should be ok.
I find Thyroid Patients Canada blog and FB group to be full of helpful info - better than STTM.

I've found that getting help is best achieved for anything but ME/CFS, as there are no standard treatments for ME/CFS. Much better to have several different problems each treated separately.

@Learner1 I have a tube of arnica made by a herbal company A. Vogel - not sure if it's Montana, which I have been using. Actually the friction burns are the most painful at present, so maybe the arnica has helped the bruises, and now wonder if I should have put lavender on them, and if it's too late. I did treat them immediately with a cold pack but not sure if that's the right treatment for a friction burn which is not the same as a normal skin burn.

Yes, re the cortisol, I think it is that article by Kent Holtorf who writes about a physiological dose being safe re osteoporosis. Clearly with the tiny bit I am getting it cannot do harm with that!

Thank you so much for telling me of the Thyroid Patients Canada blog and FB group - I will now look that up and get myself joined up. One of the UK groups I am on has put some info on from a Canada source which sounded excellent, and maybe that was their source.

Yes, I do agree with your last statement with regard to ME/CFS. I have tried in recent years to research all my symptoms separately and to treat them individually. Things began to improve a lot by doing this (I didn't bother much with medical help at the time as I couldn't find what I needed from them and though I have used private Drs over the years, often my own research has helped me more!). In fact I think I was on the up generally, but I have in truth had a brutal time for 18 mths (death of mum, husband, Covid/long Covid, helping my severely mentally ill son from suicide/benefits issues and now moving!!).

Just about all the worst stresses in a short space of time. I think I can forgive myself any lapses and move on to better things.

Edit note: just looked up lavender and will start using that on my friction burn - should have done it at the start I think. I see Aloe vera is good too, but I don't have any of that in, and not going out now until Friday.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and kind support - it's much appreciated.

lenora

HI @mermaid....I hope you're feeling better from your fall day by day. The move seems very timely, doesn't it?

Oh, I wish my body could follow my mind through on the young feeling I get when watching Jeremy Clarkson's farm show. Right now I'm watching a docu/film about 4 different farm families in the Outer Hebrides. Now that's hard work and no, I wouldn't even dream of doing it. Interesting 3 of the main people were solicitors, two in London, before they packed up and moved in their 40's. The question of why has never been answered.

I guess seeing cows, sheep and horses running free makes me feel that way, too. Even my hubby enjoys them.
The reality is that life on the farm wasn't easy. We had pumps, including in the kitchen. Heat was from pot belly stoves and the outhouse was often in use when the inside facilities were down. Western PA. in the winter is COLD.

Yes, I had heard that the medical situation in England was rather bad at the moment. Canada's seems to be fine, but it's a younger system. I'm sure you lost a lot of doctors when the Common Market ended. We hear from many friends who now have problems. Until you're sick, you don't really realize how back things can be.

That's very scary for someone with a heart problem or an injury to wait all day for an ambulance. I'm sure we'd all agree on that. I hope you have better service in London....at least you'll have family nearby and will feel safer. I don't blame you for sending a letter, more of us should do these things. Yours, Lenora.