• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Morning Anxiety

Do you know why anxiety strikes me in the morning?
I don't feel particularly anxious after noon unless I'm suffering from PEM but for some reason I feel anxious in the morning around 7 to 10 am

But it's weird because:

If I fall asleep around 1 am and wake up at 8 am then I have morning anxiety

But if I fall asleep at 4 am and wake up at 11 am I don't feel anxious, and still it's the same 7 hours of sleep.

If I fall asleep at 7 am and wake up at 2-3 pm I don't feel anxious

If I stay awake all night and go from 11 am to 1 pm without sleeping, I don't feel anxious

So the weird pattern that causes my morning anxiety is sleeping all night and waking up in the early morning? Why? Is there anything I can do?

ukxmrv

I don't have morning anxiety but have shaking, nausea / vomiting, fainting, low BP, weakness, sight problems etc until around 1pm. It's not the quantity of sleep - it's the actual waking time that make a difference for me. If I wake up between 6am and 11am the morning problems are at their worst - regardless of when I went to sleep or the quality of my sleep.

When I had a saliva cortisol test this was when it was lowest. When I have the blood levels taken in hsopital this was when cortisol was at it's lowest. I have a ACTH stimulating test and the increased cortisol stopped these symptoms dead in a short time.

Obviously there will be other things happening as well and I've just not had them tested.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi River, i would say that this could be a cortisol/adrenal issue as suggested by others. i mainly feel more anxious in the mornings also, but also feel muh better after a proper meal. It could also be blood sugar related. Mine has improved as my general health has improved. Have you had cortisol saliva tests done?

Tia

Yes, I have the same thing since 2 months back. It's getting beter but I've started B-vitamins with folic acid and upped my antidepressants (Zoloft) a bit so.. I hope to get rid of it completely. I can highly recomend B-vitamins btw. Also, I don't think it's a psycological thing at ALL but that it's adrenals in our system, because I feel calm but still this anxiety, heartpalpitations for no reason, so it's DEFINITELY bodywise and not mental.