The following is an edited post I did on this thread (Lead toxicity and DMSA). It's a thread that contains warnings about doing major "detox". The word detox can sound relatively benign, but initiating major detox is not even close to being benign. It's is a MAJOR undertaking, fraught with many known and unknown dangers.
If you haven't studied this subject for MANY hours, then you should probably hold off on doing this until you've done your homework. Failing to do so has the potential to dramatically (negatively) affect your health in a major way for the rest of your life (not to be overly melodramatic). If you're at all considering doing major detox, you may want to first read this heartbreaking story of a very healthy woman who literally became an invalid from following advice to undertake a "detox" regimine without proper preparation: Robin's Report
I agree with this 100%.
First step should be to have a testing methodology to understand where (and if!) you are toxic. If it is mercury, Quicksilver Mercury Tri-Test shows your baseline, and repeating that over course of treatment establishes whether you are making progress or not.
My current thinking (not in agreement with Cutler) is that second step should be to support natural detox with binders in the gut, like the Quicksilver IMD Powder. This allows you to maximize natural disposal.
Once you establish some natural flow out of body, then it's a decision you make with your doctor about whether you want to add another chelator. I have some lead, so I'm guessing I am going to be stuck with DMSA for that. I have severe neurological involvement, so I guess eventually that will mean ALA. But the sane way to attempt these things is very low doses, at the half life of the chelator, for short periods of time (three days in Cutler's method).
Taking large doses of chelators at irregular spacing - and especially doing this intravenously - is a one way ticket to getting EXTREMELY ill.