When you have had this illness for years with little, if any, gains in health. Some people throw caution to the wind! Is death really the worst that can happen to some of us?
I understand this. For the first six months of my own illness I woke every day feeling like I would die within one week. The complete despair you feel knowing that you are the only one who can rescue yourself, when you are completely compromised and unable to think or work, is truly overwhelming.
I'm the first to admit that getting rid of mercury is a tough problem. But it is not like terminal cancer where you can only delay a final result. If you navigate it correctly you can beat mercury. The process isn't that difficult:
1) Get a diagnosis, and the only test I trust at this point is the Quicksilver Mercury Tri-Test because:
a) They have much more precise measurement limits.
b) They are the only ones who measure organic (e.g., fish) and inorganic (e.g., fillings) separately.
c) They are the only ones who compare hair, blood, and urine at one test in order to calculate how well your body disposes of mercury.
If you have low levels of exposure and the test shows that you dispose of it very well, then you certainly have a basis for making a decision to focus on other things besides mercury. Knowing what I know now, I would still remove amalgams, but you would at least have a choice. On the other hand, if you have a massive methylmercury load from food and your liver is doing a poor job of disposing, then your tissues are piling up a load and you need to do something about it.
2) Find a mercury-safe dentist and get all the amalgams removed. Unfortunately, that means check under crowns as some of those may have mercury as well, and get the crowns replaced with engineered ceramic crowns with no metal liners. It's critical to find a dentist experienced in this procedure, and the key things he must do:
a) Let you breathe oxygen during removal. Train yourself to breathe through the nose not mouth during procedure.
b) Use a HEPA filter near your mouth to remove vapor and filter out the elemental mercury.
c) Use water on the drill to keep drilling temperatures low.
d) Use a dental dam, in order to keep any bits of mercury that come loose during drilling from being swallowed.
I live in a major urban area, and I only found four dentists qualified to do this work within a 75 miles radius. You need to do homework.
My advice to anyone doing this is to have inlays instead of composite fillings for any tooth that is a major chewing surface. Composite fillings will need replacement every five years but inlays are permanent.
3) You need nutritional support for the things that mercury attacks, like zinc. I got a Metametrix ION Profile and dozens of other tests and that helped my osteopaths get me on the right path. I actually hired three osteopaths, and what is interesting is I got three different diagnoses, but they all said the same thing at their core:
Osteopath #1: he looked at ION Profile and told me I had severe problems with magnesium, zinc, B6, B12, and several other nutrients and needed to supplement.
Osteopath #2: he diagnosed pyluria, which attacks B6, magnesium, zinc, manganese, etc. (I later read that some people think "pyluria" is caused by mercury...many allopaths will tell you that this is not a disease and it is controversial.)
Osteopath #3: he ran a porphyrins test, which showed exposure to lead and mercury. We then ran separate blood, urine, and hair tests for mercury, and all three put me 95th percentile high end of scale. Mercury creates deficiencies in zinc, b6, etc.
So all three doctors were pointing to the same conclusions by totally different methods!
Based on that result I read Dr Andrew Cutler's books, hired a local biochemist directly, and ended up having one of my doctors hire Cutler himself.
At this point I am on a fistful of supplements each day. Half this stuff is probably as harmful as it is beneficial. Some things are no brainers, like zinc and magnesium and b6. Others are more controversial.
4) You need a strategy for making sure your gut doesn't reabsorb the mercury your liver excretes through bile. Per my other post just now, up to 95% of the mercury in bile gets reabsorbed by the gut. After much research, I plan to use Quicksilver's IMD product, as it is engineered exactly for this purpose and they have good measurement data showing over six months how it effectively lowers methylmercury burden in blood (which in turn implies the mercury is getting out of body).
5) You may optionally want to consider a chelator. In my case I hurt myself by taking a chelator ALA incorrectly and I may have moved mercury into my brain. The neurological symptoms I have are:
* 24x7 sound of a tuning fork, which can at times become so loud I cannot sleep.
* post exertional malaise becomes a day later intense brain fog so severe I cannot focus.
* some kind of neurological excitotoxicity, which is the vague feeling that some part of my brain is firing all of its neurons rapidly, which is extremely uncomfortable and just drains me
* visual abnormalities in both eyes, and in the left eye the beginnings of cataracts, which is bizarre for my age. It turns out research shows mercury increases incidence of cataracts 25 TIMES!
After studying all of the chelation protocols, I think Dr Cutler's is the best thought out. It involves low doses of oral chelators. And correct use and timing of ALA is the only way to get the mercury out of my brain.
6) Learn what is dangerous and avoid it:
* Say no to IV chelators. They can do permanent damage.
* Test for sulfur food sensitivity, and if you have it you need to get good at redesigning your life to avoid sulfur
* Avoid single thiol foods like NAC and glutathione and chlorella. For me anyway, they move around the mercury without disposing of it, and they make me feel sicker.
* A lot of so called support supplements contain chelators like ALA or sulfur-based single-thiol substances that make you feel bad. The Quicksilver supplements often combine with ALA, which I don't think makes any sense at all. If you buy into Cutler's thinking on ALA and timing doses to the half-life of the chelator, taking large one-time ALA doses is a way to poison your brain, not chelate.
All of this is tricky, but it's not impossible to do it. Just be careful, ask lots of questions, be very conservative in treatment.