• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylfolate makes me depressed

Springbok1988

I should start by saying that nearly all of my emotions are gone. A better way of saying it might be that I know I feel a certain way, rather than feel it. That being said, even small amounts of methylfolate make me feel (know that I am) depressed. I initially started at 0.125 mg methylfolate only, with a plan to slowly increase. I felt a little depressed the first several days but then that faded and I started getting actual feelings popping up here and there for a couple of weeks. Then that stopped and I just went back to knowing that I am depressed. I stopped taking it for a while and went back to my normal neutral state. Then I started:
0.125 mg of methylfolate
56.25 mg Methylcobalamin
56.25 mg Calcium pantothenate
1.25 mg B6
5 mg Thiamin
1.25 mg riboflavin
20 mg Niacin
All in a single capsule. I doubled this after a week.
Again, I just knew that I was depressed and this didn’t improve with time. The depression worsened when I increased the amount. So I have stopped again and returned back to my neutral state. Am I doing something wrong or does methylfolate just not work for me?

Attachments

• AA952CC6-E312-4A2E-9EF0-898B42B9E549.jpeg
    AA952CC6-E312-4A2E-9EF0-898B42B9E549.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I should start by saying that nearly all of my emotions are gone. A better way of saying it might be that I know I feel a certain way, rather than feel it. That being said, even small amounts of methylfolate make me feel (know that I am) depressed. I initially started at 0.125 mg methylfolate only, with a plan to slowly increase. I felt a little depressed the first several days but then that faded and I started getting actual feelings popping up here and there for a couple of weeks. Then that stopped and I just went back to knowing that I am depressed. I stopped taking it for a while and went back to my normal neutral state. Then I started:
0.125 mg of methylfolate
56.25 mg Methylcobalamin
56.25 mg Calcium pantothenate
1.25 mg B6
5 mg Thiamin
1.25 mg riboflavin
20 mg Niacin
All in a single capsule. I doubled this after a week.
Again, I just knew that I was depressed and this didn’t improve with time. The depression worsened when I increased the amount. So I have stopped again and returned back to my neutral state. Am I doing something wrong or does methylfolate just not work for me?

My thoughts (take with a large grain of salt since there is so much for me to discover/learn still).

• If you don't have strong methylation (potentially likely since you're here and experimenting with these things), 20mg niacin can be quite taxing and contribute to feelings of depression. Would highly recommend taking creatine and perhaps something like TMG with it. Chris Masterjohn has some good videos around niacin. You could also try other versions of B3 like niacinimide which are less taxing on methylation.

• You can't take nutrients in a silo. If you're taking these things, and you were previously deficient when you get re-feeing symptoms it could impact you across a broad spectrum of needs. Make sure you're taking other relevant vitamins, minerals, and foundational nutrients. If you want to try an easier way of taking all the things across the board, AOR makes a multivitamin called Orthocore, that while not perfect is definitely one of the best multis IMO.