• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation/MTFHR geno results : kindly asking for advise

Dear all,

I am now injecting hydroxo for 3 months, from the first injection I experienced a lot of aggrevated dizziness and vestibular problems more than normally, which didn't really improve much over 3 months. My initial symptoms were dizziness, shaky vision and tinnitus in combination with fatigue. My energy levels improved. I recently added two methyl injections in between and this week added a few half tabs of 5-MTHF 400mcg, which I reacted very heavily to, i.e. felt like a mess.

Also my 23andme results came in and did a MTHFR test at xcode which I wanted to discuss here what the best form of B12 would be for me and combined with which additional supplements. My MTHFR results came from Xcodelife. The main result I got from them was MODERATE: LIKELY MODERATELY LOWER MTHFR ENZYME ACTIVITY.

Still learning and reading a lot on the subject and experimenting, but was hoping to get a kickstart in the right direction here.

Regards,
Gletsy

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2018-06-16 om 13.33.53.png
    Schermafbeelding 2018-06-16 om 13.33.53.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 17

Learner1

We have a lot of genes and environmental factors which can affect our need for B vitamins.

The genes you've shared give only a small picture, so it's very hard to know. I've found it extremely valuable to do a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval test every 9-12 months, which helps my doctor and me adjust my supplements.

I've also found that while B12 and folate are useful, I need significant amounts of other nutrients to support methylation, like B6, B2, TMG, and magnesium as well as B1 and molybdenum to support the transsulfuration pathway and sufficient NAC, glycine, snd glutamine to make glutathione.

While hydroxocobalamin can be helpful, it doesn't support methylstion as methylcobalamin does.

I take mainly methylcobalamin and a little adenosylcobalamin orally, along wuth the other cofactor nutrients, then do MB12 and high potency B complex injections 2x a week, plus HB12 every third injection.

As you behing to get these nutrients working, you may start to mobilize toxins, which can make you feel sick. Niacin can reverse the methylation reaction, snd curcumin can help you flush things out. If you experience mood changes, its a signal that you havecthe wrong ratio of cofactors... tweaking them can dramatically changed your mood.

Best wishes...

caledonia

At this time, I suggest that instead of supplementing based on SNPS, also take your epigenetics into consideration, which is basically the same as what Learner1 is saying regarding getting a NutrEval test.

Another way to do something similar is to get a copy of Ben Lynch's book "Dirty Genes" which explains about the 7 major genes and what you can do if they're expressing and you're getting symptoms from them.

You can combine that with an interpretation of your 23andme with Lynch's Strategene report, which is based on two years of researching the scientific literature (as is Dirty Genes).

The above two things aren't very expensive. The NutrEval costs a lot more, but it's useful if you can afford it.

As far as what kind of B12 to take, what it boils down to is a lot of experimentation until you find what works for you. Also your starting amounts could be way too high. See the document in my signature link called "Start Low and Go Slow", and also "Roadblocks to Successful Methylation Treatment".

There are some rescue supplements you should have on hand before starting, in case you get overmethylated.

Click on the link in my signature below.

Thanks for both your answers! Appreciate it.

I did a lot of reading today and also purchased a Strategene report and also tried to analyze it with dr. Amy Yasko's Gastric Bypass paper/book. Major conclusions i got from the report, I have the following important mutations:

- CBS C699T ++
- MTHFR A1298C ++
- COMT ++ / VDR taq ++
- MTRR A66G +

According to dr. Yasko there is a "catch 22" there and I should address the first two first because because of possible higher levels of Ammonia and Sulfur. Until the CBS up regulation is under control there is a risk of any added methylation cycle support creating additional problems in the body.

I started with hydroxo 1000 mcg injections twice a week three months ago, still following the same protocol. Because it mainly made me more dizzy and messed up my vestibular symptoms more (maybe because off die-off symptoms or neuro repair? who knows), I used a methyl injection 1000mcg the last two times and I am using 5-MTHF half 400mcg tabs for a week or so. Had a very strong reaction the last week and quitted the 5-MTHF tabs for a little while and plan on going back to the hydroxo injections. Also, according to dr. Yasko because of my COMT mutation amongst others it would be better to use hydroxo.

Maybe I need to have more patience, as most people say worsening of symptoms when starting b12 can take 3-6 months. In the mean time see what I can do to effectively target the CBS problem.

Have a nice day
G.

Last edited by a moderator:

alicec

I did a lot of reading today and also purchased a Strategene report and also tried to analyze it with dr. Amy Yasko's Gastric Bypass paper/book. Major conclusions i got from the report, I have the following important mutations:

Unfortunately you haven't picked reliable sources to inform yourself about the meaning of these SNPs.

Both sites contain many errors and unfounded claims. Yasko in particular is notorious for making claims which misinterpret research, or are contrary to research or have no research at all behind them (ie she is making them up).

None of the SNPs you list have any serious consequences. A couple have a small effect but these are widespread in the population and are not the cause of disease.

The MTHFR SNP does slightly slow the enzyme so ensure you have adequate folate intake (eat plenty of vegetables and supplement a modest dose of folate).

If the COMT SNP is V158M then that does slow the enzyme to some extent so ensure you have adequate intake of its cofactor magnesium. 15-20% of the global population is +/+ for this SNP, so join the crowd. The SNP is neither a good nor a bad thing. It has its own advantages and disadvantages, just as the absence of the SNP has different advantages and disadvantages.

The other COMT SNPs that Yasko promotes have no effect.

Yasko completely messed up regarding that CBS SNP. You don't need to address it first, you don't need to address it at all. It is not the upregulation she claims - she completely misunderstood a research paper that wasn't even related to this SNP. If it has any effect (some studies find a small effect, some don't) it is protective since it reduces homocysteine.

Unfortunately you haven't picked reliable sources to inform yourself about the meaning of these SNPs.

Both sites contain many errors and unfounded claims. Yasko in particular is notorious for making claims which misinterpret research, or are contrary to research or have no research at all behind them (ie she is making them up).

None of the SNPs you list have any serious consequences. A couple have a small effect but these are widespread in the population and are not the cause of disease.

Hello alicec, nice to meet you and thank you for your reply. Is this common knowledge that the info of Yasko is not correct. I am seeing a lot of her research being used here and in turn Rich. That's why I started to dig into the work.
What are your sources or the papers you are referring to? Or is it experience?

The MTHFR SNP does slightly slow the enzyme so ensure you have adequate folate intake (eat plenty of vegetables and supplement a modest dose of folate).

If the COMT SNP is V158M then that does slow the enzyme to some extent so ensure you have adequate intake of its cofactor magnesium. 15-20% of the global population is +/+ for this SNP, so join the crowd. The SNP is neither a good nor a bad thing. It has its own advantages and disadvantages, just as the absence of the SNP has different advantages and disadvantages.

The other COMT SNPs that Yasko promotes have no effect.

Interesting. Is the advice for the type of b12 correct in your opinion? I should take hydroxo (what I already use) according to her work.

Yasko completely messed up regarding that CBS SNP. You don't need to address it first, you don't need to address it at all. It is not the upregulation she claims - she completely misunderstood a research paper that wasn't even related to this SNP. If it has any effect (some studies find a small effect, some don't) it is protective since it reduces homocysteine.

Thanks for sharing your insights.

alicec

Is this common knowledge that the info of Yasko is not correct. I am seeing a lot of her research being used here and in turn Rich.

People including Rich did get excited about her claims in the early days but as more and more of us began looking at the detail of the claims, much didn't add up.

There are numerous threads on PR discussing these problems. There are just so many mistakes it is probably best to search by particular SNPs.

Here is a post about CBS SNPs., COMT, MAOA (and again), MTHFR running backwards and regenerating BH4, general inaccuracy in her metabolic diagrams. There are plenty of others if you look.