• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation and Ammonia

What is the reason behind Dr. Amy Yasko’a idea of bringing down ammonia before starting, or continuing, methylated B vitamins? I’ve got very high ammonia, as well as a deficiency in B vitamins (especially B12 and folate).

When I take a B complex, my brain feels much foggier, but I can also tell that I desperately need it, as my cognitive function changes, under the layer of fog.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Some of the b vitamins like thiamine and biotin (I believe) are also sulfur/thiols. I don't do well with those. If I take sulfur/thiols too often I get migraines.

Can you get the vitamins you need from food? Many times when I can't take a medicine I look for it in a natural form and can take it to some degree then. Parsley and brown rice are high in b vitamins, I think. ?? (Something to research anyway.)

I was taking a B complex every day, as well as B12 injections every other day for months. I felt that the B12 injections helped somewhat to begin with, then I felt them not working anymore. (I was vegetarian for 16 years, and barely took any B vitamins back then). I believe it’s because my ammonia has been really high, and I have been so out of it and “asleep” because of it. My nervous system has been asleep, especially my sensory nervous system. Now that I’ve been reducing ammonia (still have a lot), I can feel the difference when I take my methylated B vitamin supplement. A couple weeks ago when I started taking them again, I immediately felt nerves in my head “wake up,” and a good tingly sensation in my head. I also feel more confident and sure of myself when I take them. But they increase the fog. I still have severe memory loss, chronic fatigue and severe brain fog, but I’m wondering if I need to continue taking the B complex to improve even more. I don’t want to do any more damage by taking them when it’s not the right time, but at the same time I don’t want to do any more damage if I need them! I read that it was important to reduce ammonia as much as possible, then take the methylated B complex to repair the myelin sheath.

Isn’t methylation necessary when detoxing ammonia and other toxins?

can you further describe what you mean?