• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Meta-analysis investigating post-exertional malaise between patients and controls (Brown and Jason, 2018)

Pyrrhus

This paper establishes Post-Exertional Malaise (PEM) as a cardinal symptom in ME.
(I don't think this paper from 2018 has been discussed yet.)

Meta-analysis investigating post-exertional malaise between patients and controls
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1359105318784161
Excerpt:
Brown and Jason 2018 said:
Post-exertional malaise is either required or included in many previously proposed case definitions of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome. A meta-analysis of odds ratios (ORs; association between patient status and post-exertional malaise status) and a number of potential moderators (i.e. study-level characteristics) of effect size were conducted.

Post-exertional malaise was found to be 10.4 times more likely to be associated with a myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome diagnosis than with control status. Significant moderators of effect size included patient recruitment strategy and control selection. These findings suggest that post-exertional malaise should be considered a cardinal symptom of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

Last edited: