• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

frozenborderline

I'm surprised to see this hasn't been discussed more. And I'm disappointed to see so little coverage. These protestors risked major crashes and arrest to do this. And they weren't rewarded with great media coverage or even a lot of support from those of us who couldn't make it, on social media or forums. I hope this doesn't dissuade future protests of that type

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehil...-rip-biden-on-covid-pandemic-is-not-over/amp/

Jyoti

I thought the coverage was rather spectacular, considering what we can usually expect:

We had press coverage in The New York Times, The Hill, MedPage Today, The BMJ, NPR, TIME, and Payday Report! A reporter from the Washington Post, Taylor Lorenz, shared a story about the protest with her 109K followers, and Zeynep Tufekci, a New York Times columnist with 488K followers, tweeted out about the protest. CNN journalist Morgan Stephens covered the protest on her Twitter.

https://www.meaction.net/2022/09/20/millionsmissing-press-hits-rolling-in/

I read somewhere else that there was mention in the Japanese press too.

BrightCandle

Biden's comments about the pandemic being over the day before really lifted what was a pretty small protest into something the press wanted to cover. The big problem with this protest is that all the other ones in the UK were cancelled since it was the Queen's funeral and they have been moved to another day, so it was really left being on its own instead of a multiple country protest. I did what I could on the day and followed through their guide on what they wanted and I'll do the same when they protest again in the UK.

I do think these protests need a way to represent all the sick people who want to be there but are just too ill to do it, the shoes thing didn't work but there must be a way to uniquely amplify the plight of ME patients.

Dakota15

...it was front page of NY Times & Apple News.

I'd say the coverage has been fairly to pretty strong.

It was also just referenced in front of HHS Assistant Secretary for Health (OASH) Dr. Rachel Levine, forcing a government leader to acknowledge + address it in a public setting.

@frozenborderline

frozenborderline

it was front page of NY Times & Apple News.

I'd say the coverage has been fairly to pretty strong
Meaction made an amazing effort so I'm not blaming them. But the nytimes story and some of the others focused more on covid and bidens controversial response to pandemic rather than on the specific demands relating to me/cfs

And when I search YouTube specifically nothing comes up. I'd upload footage myself if I could find it (I can't screen record or rip it off twitter )

I just hope it doesn't stop at this. I hope civil disobedience happens at the Nih etc. I'd try and raise money for bail Funds and saline ivs for the protestors