• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Managing Potassium Deficiency - Share your experience

linusbert

@linusbert I hope you enjoy your day! Thank you again for the suggestions! I keep thinking about your situation and just really wish there were something you could be trying to start improving.
please dont.
i cant try anything now because the worsening of muscles and the potential worsening of asthma if i try.
i have a few things on my list. but now is not the time.

TinaT

please dont.
i cant try anything now because the worsening of muscles and the potential worsening of asthma if i try.
i have a few things on my list. but now is not the time.

I understand. I hope you get some nice rest and enjoy your day. ❤️

TinaT

Oh, I forgot to answer your question. The first time I went through this I used sublinguals for over a year. Initially, I was given Cynocobalamin shots for 14 days and it helped but did give me any sense that it was the right treatment. I was told no more shots so I went out on my own with the sublinguals. I got better but things like my gastritis, etc never improved until I was able to get injections. This time, it looks like I won’t be better in 6 weeks as I’m already over a month into this. While I wasn’t perfect in 6 weeks, the worst of it was over in about 6 weeks and I only got better and better with very few reversals. The protocol seems much more daunting this time around, I think because the folate is so bullish.

Hey how are you doing today??

I watched a bunch of videos today on water retention. I'm pretty sure I'm gaining water weight and pretty fast. I don't know what the heck is going on.

But I was somewhat mortified to learn that coconut water basically causes you to lose potassium bc the sugar is a diuretic. Of course that was annoying bc I started drinking C water on the advise of a nutritionist. Anyway I'm not sure how that would really work in the body bc it has a lot of potassium, but also causes you to lose it. I mean wtheck?!

Are you retaining water? I mean this seems like it's own health risk. Do you remember why @Freddd gained water weight and what he maybe did to finally reverse it?

I watched a few videos today and have some ideas.. But this is just another concerning trend.

I hope you have gotten your potassium situation improved. I've been thinking about you. That sounded very bad.

linusbert

But I was somewhat mortified to learn that coconut water basically causes you to lose potassium bc the sugar is a diuretic
this does not sound right.
potassium itself is a diuretic. causing the body to expell fluids.
and sodium has the opposite effect, making the body retain water.
also sugar does not have a diuretic effect, its the opposite, it draws water, like sodium.
thats why people who eat lots of carbs retain more water.

coconut water though has a laxative effect, causing diarrhea at some point. but that also would cause a loss of fluids.

some vitamins cause bloating. biotin for example.
if i take high dose of biotin i get water retention everywhere including the face.
something you take probably causes bloating / water retention... better look for what exactly that might be.

TinaT

also sugar does not have a diuretic effect, its the opposite, it draws water, like sodium.

coconut water though has a laxative effect, causing diarrhea at some point. but that also would cause a loss of fluids.

if i take high dose of biotin i get water retention everywhere including the face.
something you take probably causes bloating / water retention... better look for what exactly that might be.

I was writing quickly. I said it wrong. I'll check my notes and explain later. Basically this was a video about water retention. Dr Berg said that basically sugar causes water retention and potassium loss.

I think I have that right.

In other really depressing news, the hydroxy isn't having the same positive effect on reflux. 😭

TinaT

These were the notes I took while watching a couple of water retention videos today:

Dandelion root: diuretic (which has a lot of potassium, so you get diuretic plus potassium replacement).

Hibiscus tea. Helps with vascular relaxation / water retention (whatever you excrete, in urine, you need to replace with minerals (trying to lose the water, not the minerals). Need magnesium, sodium and potassium, coming in at a modest level. Take a couple hundred milligrams of potassium, then some sodium via salt.

Caffeine is a diuretic.

limit dairy *and gluten (often causes water retention)

reduce stress -- releases cortisol that causes potassium reduction and water retention.

drink water -- flushes out sodium

lower sodium in diet (sodium causes water retention). (trace minerals sodium??)

increase potassium intake

might be caused by sugar intake (limit sugar intake)

lymphatic drainage massage (helps a lot)

sleep helps your body balance it's hydration level

stock up on electrolytes (cal, mag, potassium and sodium)

when your electrolyte levels become unbalanced, so do your fluid levels, which can cause water retention.

try a dandelion supplement (no studies to back this up)

or try dandelion tea

magnesium supplements
mag ox helps push out sodium and water

reduce carb intake-- sudden lack of glycogen means a sudden decrease in water retention. high carb diets cause sodium levels to rise, which leads to an increase of sodium and water retention in your kidneys

avoid sitting for long periods. being inactive can stop your body fluids from effectively circulating. even just a walk around the block will help

diuretic foods: celery juice, watermelon, beets (high in potassium), asparagus (diueretic properties),

consuming glucose dehydrates you, bc it pulls water from the cell.

sugar in sports drinks causes 4 pds of weight gain per ???!!

this is different if you have diarrhea and need to replace fluids. then the glucose helps your intestines retain sodium

book water logged -- lots of studies.

drink when you are thirsty and don't ever force yourself to drink too much, because you will flush out electrolytes.

urine strips on amazon will tell you if you are dehydrated (look at specific gravity reading)

TinaT

I think this is water weight gain mostly from lack of potassium / therefore sodium causing water retention. But, at least if that video is correct, I've had a lot more sugar in my diet bc of the C water (which I'm pretty sure he said would cause water retention and potassium loss...I could be wrong).

Do you guys know why Fred thought he had water weight gain and how he stopped it?

I am taking biotin just in a B complex.

Otherwise nothing unusual. Maybe the iron? Just totally guessing.

I can tell it's water weight (even though I've never had this before). Because my stomach is very swollen and it's jiggly like water.

I'm still slightly concerned about this causing or being the result of the beginning of heart failure. I mean nothing would surprise me at this point. I just think this isn't healthy and I need to find a way to lose this water.

TinaT

you ate low sodium your whole life? when did you supplement sodium? minor amounts of sodium could do this if your body isnt used to it.

freddd has it mentioned somewhere in his protocol.
https://www.quora.com/Has-someone-u...nd-what-were-the-outcomes/answer/Fred-Davis-7
Thank you. I don't know whether my diet has been low sodium. I don't eat a lot of processed food, which is all usually extremely high sodium. But I add plenty of Celtic salt to my dinner and sometimes lunch, depending on what I eat.

I guess lately I've had more sodium bc the "potassium" from Trace Minerals has sodium.

Thanks for the suggestion / idea.

In other news, I wanted to share with @Idie, from a study I was just reading about Dandelion root:

"In addition, hypokalemia may be refractory to potassium supplementation unless magnesium is adequately repleted."

Source:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3155102/

Just in case that might be helpful to her potassium situation.

TinaT

I just read Fred's protocol from the link you shared. It's just so really impossible to understand and employ in many ways. Still, thank you again for sharing the link @linusbert. I had been looking for his most recent protocol.

He says folonic acid doesn't work... And 1/3 of people don't respond to hydroxy B12 and that it's far less powerful.

I didn't see any mention of sodium.

But he did mention edema and congestive heart failure. I'm really concerned.

Last edited:

TinaT

@linusbert

Do you know where he might have the most simplified version of his protocol? And what is the "deadlock quartet"? And I read that others on this website had other protocols. Were any others successful for a lot of people?

Obviously his observations are extremely valuable as far as ideas to try. But they are really impossible to figure out in terms of specific symptoms and daily dosages, since he didn't provide any dosages, and the was really no testing as far as I can tell.

Plus, I have to wonder about super high doses, and frequency, when lower doses / frequency are causing hypokalemia that is already almost impossible to tolerate.

TinaT

I think it could be useful to compare his observations to any available research on the various cofactors. But God would that be an overwhelming project.

you ate low sodium your whole life? when did you supplement sodium? minor amounts of sodium could do this if your body isnt used to it.

freddd has it mentioned somewhere in his protocol.
https://www.quora.com/Has-someone-u...nd-what-were-the-outcomes/answer/Fred-Davis-7

I don't know whether any of these sources are legit, but I'm stopping the coconut water:

https://www.news18.com/news/lifesty...ut-water-have-these-side-effects-5910217.html

This would also support your blood sugar theory. I've never had a blood sugar problem before. But you know I've been consuming LARGE amounts of coconut water.

linusbert

I think it could be useful to compare his observations to any available research on the various cofactors. But God would that be an overwhelming project.

I don't know whether any of these sources are legit, but I'm stopping the coconut water:

https://www.news18.com/news/lifesty...ut-water-have-these-side-effects-5910217.html

This would also support your blood sugar theory. I've never had a blood sugar problem before. But you know I've been consuming LARGE amounts of coconut water.

i'd consider any public newspaper and mainstream media outlet as garbage information when it comes to informing about health and health products - and probably anything else as well.
that article is meh. coconut water indeed has sugar, but its like 2-4g / 100ml. so basically one cup / serving has like 5-10g sugar. this is barely nothing. enough for very sensitive people to maybe cause some fluctuations but thats it. comparing this to soda or coke its like almost 30g sugars.

also one cup has potassium like one big banana. so what. banana has much more sugar than the cw.

this is just FUD without any value.

if you want to improve electrolytes in CW , just put a bit of salt into it and its fine.

i'd consider like 1-2 cups a day absolutely safe as long as kidneys are not impaired... but in that case also a banana will make trouble.

Plus, I have to wonder about super high doses, and frequency, when lower doses / frequency are causing hypokalemia that is already almost impossible to tolerate.
actually my theory was those
1. sugar might help the symptoms
2. plain potassium might cause low blood sugar and therefore cause another bunch of side effects.

Do you know where he might have the most simplified version of his protocol?
i dont. its all so fragmented.

TinaT

i'd consider any public newspaper and mainstream media outlet as garbage information when it comes to informing about health and health products - and probably anything else as well.
that article is meh. coconut water indeed has sugar, but its like 2-4g / 100ml. so basically one cup / serving has like 5-10g sugar. this is barely nothing. enough for very sensitive people to maybe cause some fluctuations but thats it. comparing this to soda or coke its like almost 30g sugars.

also one cup has potassium like one big banana. so what. banana has much more sugar than the cw.

if you want to improve electrolytes in CW , just put a bit of salt into it and its fine.

i'd consider like 1-2 cups a day absolutely safe as long as kidneys are not impaired... but in that case also a banana will make trouble.

2. plain potassium might cause low blood sugar and therefore cause another bunch of side effects.

I was drinking 8 servings a day.

That's the only new thing that would seem possible for water weight gain.

Sugar isn't helping. I just ate breakfast with plenty of sugar in the form of fruit and bananas. I'm totally constipated. I think that's the low potassium.

I know that wasn't a great source but it was consistent with what the doc on YouTube said yesterday, and I think my own experience. I'm stopping regardless. And now using plain potassium.

I just finished reading Fred protocol. I wish I knew why he was so down on folonic acid. He also never mentiones iron, which is strange.

TinaT

but fruit and banana are high potassium foods.

Well you know I don't agree but I'm still going to buy the device next week. In the meantime, I'm assuming this is low potassium. I mean Fred's protocol said that most people will experience low potassium. And i have the symptoms.. And low sugar doesn't explain the BP or constipation.

TinaT

The other thing is...I developed these symptoms before taking any potassium, 3 days after the first and second shots (and continuing but always worse on those days). So the potassium was not what started this.

TinaT

HI Violeta,

Most sources of meat from fish to fowl and mammals all are relatively rich in potassium with some of the fish being the highest. Lots of veggies too. It's essential to cells. With the meats, especially red meats, we get relatively high amounts of carnitine. With all the animals proteins we get high quality animal proteins that pretty well match the amino acids we need. I went through the whole learning curve of a DIET FOR A SMALL PLANET of matching up amino acid variations amongst vegetable source foods to have high Net Protein Utilization scores. Meats also contain active l-methylfolate, active AdoCbl and active MeCbl, be it in small amounts. It's possible that the assortment of nutrients in meat DOES increase cell formation and hence need for potassium.

In some vegetarian countries/religions that developed variations on Tantric Yoga, they also developed the Tantric meal. It was both ceremonial and practical. It broke taboos by eating beef steak and fish. It also included other items that would supply b-complex, a whole grain dish, and other nutrients. In a world of unbalanced nutrition and semi starvation not uncommon, a rich balanced meal with the rarest nutrients that can have effects in microgram quantities and be noticeable starting in hours This meal was often reported to have magical results. The explanation was releasing the energies block by taboos and other such things. It also contains AdoCbl, MeCbl, L-methylfolate, carnitine and fish oils. This inclusion of the deadlock quartet can tremendously improve/restore neurological and sexual functions. Deficiencies of these can completely crash sexual abilities, both normal and mystical.

Having that kind of effect in the circumstances of exactly being starved for active B12s and possibly animal folate, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was boosting the possibility of methylation. And possibly it was something we have not even talked about that was needed and ;limiting things, one of many induced deficiencies.

It might be something at face value. So perhaps balancing out potassium and folate or whatever and seeing if in fact healing is faster by assuming that things are working and correcting possibly temporary things pass or correct instead of assuming everything is a marker of going wrong. If the amount of potassium exceeds perhaps 3000 mg a day, then look for things that might cause that. like too much b1, b2, b3 and who knows what else.

A daily food and effects diary could tell you a lot after half a dozen cycles or so, when a pattern can be derived.

I have been wondering how much food might help. Do you know what foods were in this tantric meal? I've been trying to eat about 1/2 c of liver at least every other day.

TinaT

Hi

I find that to avoid problems at night I need to take at least 300mg at bedtime. To avoid morning problems when I get up to get rid of the water from the bedtime dose I can take another couple of hundred mgs with more water.

Are you referring here to folate or potassium? I'm trying to deal with water weight gain.

:redface: just following this board. lots of good information here.

even RBC might not be reflective for intra cellular levels. nutritional status is complicated. but its another "clue" what the internals might be.

i believe that in our chronic sickness state there is a narrow band between hyper- and hypo. switching between states therefore both can be true at the same time.
its like diabetes, too much sugar in blood, too less in the cells. the cells have receptors for everything. its known even in medical literature that a (for example) chronic hypo sodium condition cannot be fixed with sudden high shots of sodium which could be deadly. because the cells adapted to low sodium contents and when a high flow of sodium comes in, it completely overflows. the cells need to adapt to sufficient state again.
i think this principle applies for many things in the body.
I'm drinking glasses of water with a pinch of sea salt every 4 hours to try and help I dont understand how everything got such a mess