• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Making lovely, healthy bread

Valentijn

I had heard that vegan gluten free bread is pretty much impossible, so it's great to learn that it can be done.
My starting point was this book: http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Vegan-Bread-Artisanal-Recipes/dp/1570617805 . It's available for Kindle as well, which can also be used on computers even if you don't have a kindle. My favorite for "normal" bread is the "Soft Millet Sandwich Bread".

Some temperatures are wrong due to her having a faulty oven when creating the recipes, but there's an Errata published which corrects those errors: https://jenniferkatzinger.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/gfv_bread_errata.pdf

Calathea

Yay for recipes! Isn't it partly a grain bread, though, with the millet and the oats? I will go and figure out the fat content at some point, because I have Sphincter of Oddi Dysfuction (cheerily known as SOD for short, though you're saying a lot worse than "sod" when it flares up) and can't eat too much fat at once. It looks quite intriguing.

Folks who bake with chia seeds, tell me your experiences! How much do you put in? What do you do in the way of soaking? What do you find it does to the bread?

JaimeS

I will go and figure out the fat content at some point, because I have Sphincter of Oddi Dysfuction (cheerily known as SOD for short, though you're saying a lot worse than "sod" when it flares up) and can't eat too much fat at once.

Fifty grams of fat due to the coconut oil, but remember that's in a loaf with 24 slices! So about 2-g of fat from the coconut oil per slice.

The seeds will have some natural oils, too, though.

Calathea

I can put this into calorie counting software and answer that, actually, but are you sure it's 24 slices? Quite a big loaf, is it?

JaimeS

I can put this into calorie counting software and answer that, actually, but are you sure it's 24 slices? Quite a big loaf, is it?

It's not so much the size as it is how filling it is. :) It's full of fiber and protein, so a serving the size of my palm is enough to make me feel full. My pan isn't exactly a 'bread pan' per se; it's more like a casserole dish. So I cut the bread down the center and then into 12 slices so that it's 2 x 12, or 24 slices all together.

-J

Calathea

OK, here's what MyFitnessPal makes of it if you get 24 slices out of a loaf. 24 slices sounds like it may be an overestimate to me, especially if you're cutting the slices 1" thick. It'd have to be 2 feet long! So you may want to double this if your slices are thick. The ingredients are nutrient-dense and relatively high in calories. I imagine that it's satisfying in smaller amounts than a standard bread, however. MyFitnessPal didn't calculate the amino acid profile or anything like that, but I bet it's amazing for minerals in particular. It looks very diabetic-friendly as well.

Calories: 157
Fat: 9.4g
Protein: 4.9g
Carbohydrate: 14.3g
- sugars 1.6g
Fibre 5.0g
Sodium 195.7mg

High in fat, which I'd expected with all those seeds. The carb count is very low, that'll be useful for some people. It's lower in protein than I expected, but nicely high in fibre.

I know buckwheat is a pseudograin like quinoa, and I'm not sure whether millet is considered a grain when it's in its seed form, though as far as I can tell it is, but I'm pretty sure that rolled oats are considered a grain. I really wouldn't call this a grain-free bread.

Calathea

Sorry, cross-post there. For contrast, here's the nutrient breakdown of a fairly thick slice of my sourdough when I make it with brown flour and walnuts:

Calories: 170
Fat: 4.3g
Protein: 5.7g
Carbohydrate: 26.6g
- sugars 3.9g
Fibre: 2.6g
Sodium: 218mg

And yep, that makes sense about the portion size, it must be very filling!

Calathea

Has anyone figured out a vegan brownie in a mug that's sugar free (I include dried fruit, agave syrup and such as sugar) and not too horrendously high fat? I miss those.

JaimeS

Has anyone figured out a vegan brownie in a mug that's sugar free (I include dried fruit, agave syrup and such as sugar) and not too horrendously high fat? I miss those.

I've used the 'Cookie in a Cup' recipe but add a smidge more butter and a tsp of cocoa powder. I'm not sure how you'd get around the sugar though.... :)

-J

Valentijn

Brownies use little flour and rely on eggs to set. And that's one where egg replacers won't work at all. So a proper vegan brownie isn't possible. But a chocolate cake should be manageable.

perchance dreamer

I had given up on bread because most commercial gluten-free bread tastes godawful to me. I recently bought Elizabeth Nyland's Cooking with Coconut Oil cookbook, and she has a great gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb bread.

The main ingredients are almond butter, eggs, and coconut flour and oil. Here's the recipe:

Paleo Sandwich Bread

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Yield: 1 loaf (15 slices)

Serving Size: 1 slice

Calories per serving: 159

Fat per serving: 13.2

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup soaked almond butter, smooth (store bought works fine too)
  • 6 pastured eggs
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup ground golden flax
  • 3 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 x 4" loaf pan with parchment, grease well with coconut oil.
  2. In a large bowl, blend the almond butter, eggs, honey, coconut oil and apple cider vinegar with an immersion blender.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine the flax, coconut flour, baking soda and sea salt. Mix the dry into the wet, pour into the greased and lined loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan by pulling up on the parchment. Set on wire rack to cool completely.
  5. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days, in the fridge for 7-10 days or in the freezer for a month or so.
Notes

* To make soaked almond butter, fill a bowl with the amount of raw almonds you want to make into almond butter, cover with cold water to 2" above the almonds. Leave for 24 hours. Dry in an oven at the lowest setting until dry (at 170°F this takes about two hours). Then you can blend into almond butter per my recipe here: [http://guiltykitchen.com/2010/11/22/back-to-basics-culinary-fundamentals-nut-butters/] or you can roast them first and then blend into almond butter.

** Many people have asked for nutrition information for this recipe. Based on slicing the loaf into 15 slices (the average number I got), each slice contains: 159 calories, 13.2 g fat (4.4 saturated), 65 mg cholesterol, 175 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrates, 1.5 g fibre, 2.5 g sugars, 5.5 g protein

Here are my notes on making this recipe:

• Let the eggs sit out awhile before mixing so that they aren't very cold. When they are too cold, they harden the coconut oil.
  • The writer specifies 1/4 cup of golden flax measured after it's ground, but I put 1/4 cup in the grinder and use all that, which yields more than 1/4 cup. I like the flavor and nutrition from flax.
  • I just use store-bought almond butter, and it's fine.
  • When you mix the dry ingredients into the wet, be very quick about it. Overmixing can create tunnels in the bread.
  • If you don't remember when you last bought your baking soda, buy a new box. I got better results when I did.
  • Unlike gluten breads, this one does not get stale in the fridge.
  • It has more flavor toasted or fried in a little coconut oil. Also delicious spread with Irish butter!
  • The texture of this bread is similar to a banana bread. It's moist and doesn't get crisp. I love it, though. It's novel to eat large amounts of bread and not gain weight.
  • You might have to experiment with how long to cook it. For me, 38 1/2 minutes is best. I suspect that 35 minutes won't be enough time for most ovens.

Back