• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Testosterone (Men)

ChrisD

Up until last December my testosterone levels and libido were actually great - I would joke that it was the only part of me working really well. A year of Ketogenic diet prior to that with high cholesterol really helped that and some other symptoms.

But in December I started to experience weird stinging pain in my testicles and an inflamed epididymis on one (Original thread I made on that https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/epididymitis.62534/ ). They have been extremely sensitive to EMFs and the pain in general caused my libido and testosterone to plummet. This has effected my voice even which keeps breaking and going squeaky in the mornings.

It’s really affected my natural sexual function now for five months although it has been improving gradually with the use of antibiotics - most recently one month Doxycycline.

According to private tests I have Lyme and co infections so have suspected that these may be a culprit for the epididymitis and interrupting hormones.

But I also wondered if men with ME in general find problems with low Testosterone? And if there are any techniques to boost it?

I’ve had some success with dietary supplements but nothing sustained and definitely not back to what it was last year. I’m a bit concerned but will keep working at it.

raghav

You are not alone. My testosterone (Free testosterone) level has been lower than the minimum for a 90 year old man for the past 25 years from the age of 24. My libido has been non existent for the past nearly 20 years ! I am on testosterone gel on a daily basis for the past 2 years. 25 mg per day. If I go to 50 mg the recommended therapeutic level then my Resting heart rate shoots to 100 bpm. So I stay at 25 mg.

pamojja

But I also wondered if men with ME in general find problems with low Testosterone? And if there are any techniques to boost it?

To you have a testing history of total and free Testosterone?

In my case both have been below normal. By using all the usual supplements it still took many years to improve that again.

sb4

Yeah I have got low T too. I was recently prescribed test gel and I took a very small dose of this (equivalent to 1mg) and my libido went from very low to low, however my T shot up to 1500 and my feet started to swell. Docs told me to stop so I did. Now waiting to see them again.

ChrisD

To you have a testing history of total and free Testosterone?

In my case both have been below normal. By using all the usual supplements it still took many years to improve that again.

I'm having my testosterone, cortisol and prolactin tested by blood on Monday and shall share on here. I think mine has always been low though based on symptoms and signs throughout my life including Gynecomastia and a three month long migraine when i was younger that was treated with a hormonal medication.

I'm considering buying a red light for red light therapy as this is supposed to majorly boost T production.

Another factor is that I started using Pregnenolone in autumn last year and i am not sure if that upset the balance too.

BeADocToGoTo1

What is not often discussed is that it can be just another symptom of too much sugar, nutritional deficiencies, pre-diabetes, diabetes, or exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Zinc, B and D vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids are all required by the body to produce testosterone. So, if you are deficient in any of those, they will get used in higher priority areas of the body. The body is smart enough to determine that procreation is less important than, for example, keeping the heart ticking or the brain functioning.

Please do not forget to rule out malabsorption issues including SIBO, Candida yeast overgrowth and most importantly exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). These all cause nutrient deficiencies and thus impact testosterone production.

The following might be good to tests to consider if not already done:
  • Standard stool tests for elastase
  • 24 hour fecal fat stool test
  • Genova Diagnostics - Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 2.0 with Parasitology (microbiome dysbiosis indicators), Fecal Fat Distribution (checks if you have issues with different types of fat intake and digestion), Elastase (for EPI, pancreas enzyme marker)and Chymotrypsin (for EPI, pancreas enzyme marker). Doctor's Data has similar tests.
  • Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) breath test, for example, Commonwealth Diagnostics International.
  • Vitamin D
By fixing my malabsorption issues, nutrient imbalances, and with pancreatic enzymes replacement therapy (PERT) my T increased 80% without weight training or HRT.

It is just another avenue to consider. More info in this thread:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...y-epi-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-cfs.62997/

Last edited:

overtheedge

The supplement Testoplex by xymogen brought my testosterone from 375 ng/dl to 734 at about three months into its use. Retested it over the course of that year of using testoplex and found my testosterone to fluctuate between 500 and 700, at the end of the year the supplement was still working to keep my testosterone high.
stopped using it for unrelated reasons.
Restarted it in january of this year, didn't realize my doctors office sold me Testoplex Plus instead of the original testoplex, after two months of using testoplex plus my testosterone is in the 500's though i should mention i haven't had it tested since the end of the old testoplex so my testosterone might have stayed at 500 since then or something
I've found the original testoplex for sale online since my doctors office no longer sells that old version, the online sellers are providing twice the pills of the old testoplex than the new one comes with for the same price as the new one, dunno whether to buy professional supplements straight through the internet or not though but i'll probably try it and then check my testosterone to see if it's working if this testoplex plus doesn't get my reading over 600 on the next test.

If you're planning to try this supplement it might be best to find a doctor who deals with it specifically, or maybe not, I'm just a patient, so, for what it's worth.

All the best

pamojja

Testoplex by xymogen brought my testosterone from 375 ng/dl to 734 at about three months into its use.

Seems to contain in its 2 capsules per day dose:

500 mg PrimaVie Shilajit
200 mg LJ100 Eurocoma longifolia Extract

Both known to have effects in raising testosterone. How much was the price for how many capsules?

dunno whether to buy professional supplements straight through the internet or not though

If you get the same quality of ingredients elsewhere for a better price, why wouldn't you?

overtheedge

Actually those ingredients are for Testoplex Plus, I do take 2 capsules per day, Its something like $30-45, i keep records of cost but since i didn't realize my store was giving me a completely different supplement until recently I can't be sure of what it is. Testoplex Plus comes with 60 capsules, 30 day supply.

The old testoplex had 120 capsules for $42 but my doctors office doesn't carry that anymore. This is the place i was thinking about buying it from https://dailybenefit.myshopify.com/products/testoplex-by-xymogen , if you guys find a cheaper source please post it. Here is the info on Testoplex from the xymogen website: https://www.xymogen.com/assets/imageDisplay.ashx?productID=227&attachmentTypeID=1 the ingredients are:

TestoPlex™ Proprietary Blend:
Mungbean Powder (Vigna radiata)(sprout), Green Oat Extract, Oat Bran Fiber, Stinging Nettle Extract (Urtica dioica)(leaf), and Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides)(fruit) 2 grams

Daily Value not established. Other Ingredients: HPMC (capsule), stearic acid, and magnesium stearate. DIRECTIONS: Take four capsules with 8 oz of water once a day, upon waking, or as directed by your healthcare practitioner.

My doctor advised me from the start to only take 2 pills of the original, non plus, type of Testoplex rather than the 4 the bottle recommends, I only ever used 2 per day, never 4, and that is what got me the good testosterone test results I posted above. Makes me wonder what taking 4 per day would do for me.

All the best

pamojja

TestoPlex™ Proprietary Blend:
Mungbean Powder (Vigna radiata)(sprout), Green Oat Extract, Oat Bran Fiber, Stinging Nettle Extract (Urtica dioica)(leaf), and Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides)(fruit) 2 grams

Actually always would disadvise against using 'propietary' blends, as I wrote elsewhere:

Proprietary Blends: allegedly created to protect an innovative blend of synergistic nutrients from being imitated by the competition. In actuality they most often hide that expensive ingredients are in minute amounts, and inexpensive make the bulk. You ideally would want to know how much of each ingredient you're ingesting, and the different effects from varying doses.

Certainly also true in this case. Though if it works that well for you at already for $21,- per month, why not?

ChrisD

What is not often discussed is that it can be just another symptom of too much sugar, nutritional deficiencies, pre-diabetes, diabetes, or exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Zinc, B and D vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids are all required by the body to produce testosterone. So, if you are deficient in any of those, they will get used in higher priority areas of the body. The body is smart enough to determine that procreation is less important than, for example, keeping the heart ticking or the brain functioning.

Please do not forget to rule out malabsorption issues including SIBO, Candida yeast overgrowth and most importantly exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). These all cause nutrient deficiencies and thus impact testosterone production.

The following might be good to tests to consider if not already done:
  • Standard stool tests for elastase
  • 24 hour fecal fat stool test
  • Genova Diagnostics - Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 2.0 with Parasitology (microbiome dysbiosis indicators), Fecal Fat Distribution (checks if you have issues with different types of fat intake and digestion), Elastase (for EPI, pancreas enzyme marker)and Chymotrypsin (for EPI, pancreas enzyme marker). Doctor's Data has similar tests.
  • Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) breath test, for example, Commonwealth Diagnostics International.
  • Vitamin D
By fixing my malabsorption issues, nutrient imbalances, and with pancreatic enzymes replacement therapy (PERT) my T increased 80% without weight training or HRT.

/

Thanks for your great reply. I have seen your posts on EPi about this forum
Before and considered this as I relate to it a lot.

In regards to malabsorption I am certain that I have SIBO and/or Candida due to skin symptoms and other symptoms. And also according to bioresonance I apparently have Ascaris Lumbricoides parasite. Does this link back to EPI?

Could you give an estimate breakdown of costs required to get EPI fully tested? I notice that the NHS in England sometimes do an elastase test.

The only thing is that I digest fats and protein just fine.

Is the PERT treatment as simple as taking pancreatic enzyme capsules?

pamojja

What is not often discussed is that it can be just another symptom of too much sugar, nutritional deficiencies, pre-diabetes, diabetes, or exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Zinc, B and D vitamins, and omega-3 fatty acids are all required by the body to produce testosterone.

Chronic diseases and accompanying nutrient deficiencies were certainly the main driver in my case too. Tried for example to correlate average levels of testosterone with vitamin D:
Code:
testosterone vs. 25(OH)D
year: ng/dl ng/ml

2010:  399 -  63
2011:  220 -  43
2012:  262 -  62
2013:  320 -  84
2014:  340 -  50
2015:  351 -  78
2016:  468 -  72
2017:  631 - 101
2018:  681 -  93

Which is, however, a bid misleading. Since I also increased intake of known co-factors for increased Vitamin D-metabolism, like magnesium, vitamin K+A, zinc, boron - all with indications to increase testosterone on their own. And most of them in multiples than vitamin D. Also most my chronic conditions are on the way or have resolved in the meantime.

In my case from its worst testosterone of 187 beginning of 2012 up to 681 now, even a 364% increase. However, free testosterone increased from its worst 237% only. And thereby still at the low end of normal range.

raghav

Now Foods Rhodiola capsule 250 mg one in the morning boosts my free testosterone by 40 %. I am also on Shilajit Fulvic acid from Jarrows formulas.

bjl218

Supplementing with Shilajit really concerns me due to the potential contamination with heavy metals and other toxic elements (mycotoxins, etc). I realize that Jarrow uses PrimaVie shilajit which is supposedly ultra purified. However, a while back I started using pure shilajit (PurBlack brand) which is also supposedly highly purified. I did realize some positive effects for a while. Then out of the blue I started getting panic attacks. Subsequent to that I was tested for heavy metals and found out that my lead levels were very high. I don't know for a fact that this was due to the shilajit, but I can't think of where else I would have been subject to that level of exposure.

Last edited:

BeADocToGoTo1

Thanks for your great reply. I have seen your posts on EPi about this forum
Before and considered this as I relate to it a lot.

In regards to malabsorption I am certain that I have SIBO and/or Candida due to skin symptoms and other symptoms. And also according to bioresonance I apparently have Ascaris Lumbricoides parasite. Does this link back to EPI?

Could you give an estimate breakdown of costs required to get EPI fully tested? I notice that the NHS in England sometimes do an elastase test.

The only thing is that I digest fats and protein just fine.

Is the PERT treatment as simple as taking pancreatic enzyme capsules?

If you have worms, or even suspect you do that is important to take care of. They can cause all kinds of havoc including malabsorption. It would be shocking if the NHS does not pay for simple stool tests for it. This would seem like an immediate priority to take care of. Not sure whether it can impact the pancreas, but if the worms spread to other areas through e.g. the ducts from the duodenum I guess it is possible.

The elastase and 24 hour fecal fat are also simple stool tests for EPI. Even in the US these tests were all covered by insurance. Not sure whether the Genova Diagnostics FMV ones are covered there, as those were not for me (was around $500 at the time). How do you know that you digest fats and protein fine? But if you do, it is likely not EPI related. PERT is indeed just taking pancreatic enzymes (a.k.a. pancrelipase). I use prescription Creon as it is tightly controlled. But in a pinch there are some over the counter versions too, although the quality and strength is not well controlled.

Regarding SIBO this can also be tested through a simple breath test and/or a comprehensive stool test. Again, it would be shocking if the NHS would not take care of these. Candida can be tested in the blood if it has become more systemic, but otherwise it would be a urine metabolites test or stool test.

If you do find a doctor, in my experience Rifaximin alone is not effective for methane related SIBO, for example. And you will also need supplements to attack the biofilm, pre- and pro-biotics. I took a 10 day course of both Neomycin and Rifaximin together along with all the other steps. For Candida yeast overgrowth some of the steps are similar, but the anti-fungal I used was Nystatin (From a compounding pharmacy, 1 million units per day for a month is what I did) along with things like botanical agents, enzymes, molybdenum, probiotic yeast, biofilm attacking supplements. It really might be best to find a functional/integrative medicine doctor who has experience with this. But, before you do any of that, testing is important. And before all that....worms.

overtheedge

Actually always would disadvise against using 'propietary' blends

I've had supplements in the past that were blends that said they contained this or that but I felt nothing taking the blend, then later I would try a supplement contained in the blend and get good results, rhodiola and ashwagandha for instance which were in an adrenal blend that did nothing while the supplements alone worked well. Other such instances have occurred but I can't remember specifics off the top of my head, not certain that they were all blends, might have been combination supplements where the ingredients of importance to me had their dosage listed but they did nothing until tried them independently

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Large percentage of men over 40 are low in testosterone just due to age and environmental estrogens. Having a chronic medical condition can cause low T as can narcotic pain killers, lack of sleep etc.

pamojja

Supplementing with Shilajit really concerns me due to the potential contamination with heavy metals and other toxic elements (mycotoxins, etc).

Was also a concern for me, since I spend each winter's vacation from 2012 onward on a South-Indian beach, and taking advantage of the reasonably priced Ayurvedic's preparations there since then. Covering much, much more than Shilajit, but moreover Indian food in much larger quantities, which basically is all polluted.

However, also did a yearly hair tissue mineral analysis, and probably due to other detoxing supplements taken, as well as good detox abilities of my body, from all the toxic metals only uranium went up above normal after 2014 (after Fukushima; also an Indian Atomic power plant only 20km from the beach..) and back down again the following years. Otherwise only Arsenic increased by 30%, Lead stayed the same, Aluminium reduced by a quarter, Strontium, and Cadmium halved, and Mercury reduced by 3/4. All except Uranium still at least below the middle of normal range.

However, that was on at least 10 grams per day of Ayurvedic extracts (Shilajit included), upto 20 g/d of Ayurvedic powders in average the last 10 years, and all the Indian food not counted. Though all the village wells of that beach place are polluted, at least it does has the rare exception of still having a natural spring still uncontaminated (all just tested by a Portuguese activist this year, and for putting pressure on local politicians).

At home I eat as much organic produce as possible.

BeADocToGoTo1

One other thing that is important as a food element negatively impacting testosterone, among many other things, is to avoid anything soy related (except perhaps a little bit of organic fermented version). This is more difficult than initially thought since it is used in so much these days as cheap, mostly GMO, filler/protein/lecithin/texturing and the oil most restaurants use these days. Not sure how much you have read on the Primal/Paleo lifestyle, but there are great books and sites with info on this that also help with reducing insults to the body and supporting testosterone production naturally.