• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Loss of IgG antibodies

paolo

Hi everyone,

I've lost the IgG of EBV, which infected me 12 years ago, starting my M.E. My immunologist said she have never seen a person who had lost IgG.

Have some of you lost IgG of EBV or of any other virus/bacteria?

I don't have IgG for any other virus/bacteria.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I also have lost my igg antibodies to ebv. Apparently its quite common amongst cfs/me and i first read about it in oslers web when cheney and peterson had patients who stopped producing igg antibodies. So much for igg be antibodies forever??

Im unsure what it means, its possible that these dam viruses are running around doing what they like and the immune system is allowing it??

cheers!!

I got tested for Herpes Simplex 1/2 and was negative for IgG, even though I'm pretty sure I had it when I was 6 or so. Myself and everyone else at daycare came down with "cold sores" for a while. I also tested negative for EBV, even though almost everyone has that one.

The lab initially reported that I tested positive to toxoplasmosis IgM, but negative to IgG. They later changed that to say that both were negative, so who knows.

SOC

I
The lab initially reported that I tested positive to toxoplasmosis IgM, but negative to IgG. They later changed that to say that both were negative, so who knows.

Makes ya wonder, doesn't it? Sounds like some dry-labbing to me -- "Oh, she can't have IgM, but no IgG so the data must be wrong. I'll just change it so it looks right...." :rolleyes:

SOC

@paolo
@heapsreal

Have you guys ever had your immunoglobulins tested to see if you have hypogammaglobulinemia? Might that explain disappearing EBV IgG antibodies?

Rlman

Hi everyone,

I've lost the IgG of EBV, which infected me 12 years ago, starting my M.E. My immunologist said she have never seen a person who had lost IgG.

My EBV and CMV are negative for IGG/IGM as well but I am positive IGG for toxoplasmosis. Rubella antibodies also detected.

Rlman

I also have lost my igg antibodies to ebv. Apparently its quite common amongst cfs/me and i first read about it in oslers web when cheney and peterson had patients who stopped producing igg antibodies. So much for igg be antibodies forever??

Im unsure what it means, its possible that these dam viruses are running around doing what they like and the immune system is allowing it??

cheers!!

@heapsreal, are you positive IGG for other infections or IGG negative for everything like paolo?

halcyon

I got tested for Herpes Simplex 1/2 and was negative for IgG, even though I'm pretty sure I had it when I was 6 or so. Myself and everyone else at daycare came down with "cold sores" for a while. I also tested negative for EBV, even though almost everyone has that one.
Could it have been herpangina?

JalapenoLuv

Hi everyone,

Yes this happened to me as well. When I was initially infected with EBV in 2008 I was positive for IgG initially but all subsequent testing was negative. I think it is because the infection blocks antibody formation by disabling macrophages so the IgG stops being produced.

Hip

There is an interesting article about the disappearance of EBV IgG antibodies here. The article says that:
Evidence of a impaired B-cell response to EBV first came in the form of missing IgG antibodies to VCA and EBNA in 13% of ME/CFS patients compared to 4% of controls. This indicated that 13% of their ME/CFS study population did not have some of the memory B-cells needed to detect an EBV infection.

a much larger study that found no IgG response to a protein expressed during latency by EBV (called EBNA-1 protein) in 10% of IgG positive ME/CS patients. This indicated that the immune systems of approximately 10% of the ME/CFS group were unable to detect a very early stage of EBV latency.

Pyrrhus

When I was a child, I used to have cold sores all the time, which are caused by Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (HSV1). It is generally thought that once you get infected with HSV1, you are infected for life.

So I was somewhat surprised last year when I learned that I have no antibodies to HSV1.

Maybe I don't have antibodies because I was infected before 6 months of age, before the immune system has developed enough to be able to distinguish between "self" and "foreign" molecules. My mother apparently had a bad attack of cold sores while she was pregnant with me, so I might have been infected in utero.

Or there could be another perfectly good explanation...

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I did not have EBV EBNA or EA IgG even though it was PCR positive and a reactivation.

Do you still show a pcr positive to ebv now?

I often wonder that those of us who have lost our igg antibodies to ebv that this means potentially we still have the infection going on as we dont have protective antibodies but also low nk function. Could the low nk function be a type of immune exhaustion from continually fighting ebv without the help of antibodies🤔 . I think my chronic neutropenia is possibly also due to immune exhaustion.

Pyrrhus

Could the low nk function be a type of immune exhaustion from continually fighting ebv without the help of antibodies🤔

Possibly, or it could be dysautonomia, as the parasympathetic branch of the autonomic nervous system activates NK cells and the sympathetic branch deactivates NK cells.

I think my chronic neutropenia is possibly also due to immune exhaustion.

Related discussion:

Declining neutrophils
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/declining-neutrophils.75238/