• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long Covid, Short Magnesium (Chambers, 2022)

YippeeKi YOW !!

Is that correct? If you were having 50mg of the total amount including excipients, then I think that would mean you're splitting the tablet into 10 pieces and I can't see how that would work?
No, the tablet is labeled by Solgar as 100 mgs of magnesium chelate, with no reference that I could subsequently find for the amount of elemental mag, which would vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, depending on the amount and number of excipients.

A 50 mg dose would be half of a 100 mg tablet, not 1/10th. I clip the tablets in half in order to arrive at a 50 mg dose .... I would guess that the amount of elemental mag would be anywhere from 10 to 37 plus or minus mgs of elemental mag ...
Dr's Best Magnesium Glycinate is 525mg of magnesium lysinate glycinate generating 52.5mg of magnesium. Is that the same as elemental?
I honestly don't know, but it would appear to be. The labelling practices are, I think, intentionally vague regarding how much of a tablet or capsule is elemental mag or potassium or whatever, About the only way to know for sure is to call or email the company and ask them directly.

Wish I could help more, but there it is ....

Husband of

@CSMLSM thanks for the help. How useful would it be if the bath was luke-warm? My wife really can't handle hot baths.

@YippeeKi YOW !! thank you. Note I have two products - the one with all the ingredients I actually bought for myself but my wife has tried it too but has struggled for sleep most times she did. The reason I bought the powder was so we could try small and frequent doses but also so we could try just magnesium and not all the other stuff. What a shame about the citrate.

I do also have these multivitamins that I bought for myself when going off antidepressants and they have magnesium in a proprietary chelation complex. 50mg per pill, so maybe spacing the multi throughout the day would be a better bet (although there are a lot of ingredients in there)

sometimes I wonder if trying all these different supps and different diets is exactly what the body doesn't want and you'd be better off with stability. Certainly it's easy to make things worse if you don't know what you are doing (and given how little we know it's pretty likely no one knows what they are doing).

YippeeKi YOW !!

they have magnesium in a proprietary chelation complex
This in itself is a red alert. A 'proprietary blend' is shorthand for " .... we really dont want to tell you what's in this, so we're using this ploy to avoid that and hopefully not get dinged by the FDA (or its equivalent in your country) ...."
50mg per pill, so maybe spacing the multi throughout the day would be a better bet (although there are a lot of ingredients in there)
As you've noted, this is an invitation for potentially massive overdoses of other nutrients, and some of those can do real harm. To much zinc, too much copper, too much Passion FLower, too much 5HTP, too much potassium..... no :nervous::nervous::nervous:.
sometimes I wonder if trying all these different supps and different diets is exactly what the body doesn't want and you'd be better off with stability.

It's a drag, and believe me everyone on this site knows that, but the only answer is to learn to read research papers, learn how to evaluate their information and their creators, and research absolutely everything til you understand it well enough to make an informed decision for your wife ....

Last edited by a moderator:

CSMLSM

@CSMLSM thanks for the help. How useful would it be if the bath was luke-warm? My wife really can't handle hot baths.
As warm as she feels comfortable. The warmer the better. Maybe over time you will be able to increase the temperature.

Higher temp is just thought to help. I can vouch for the bath method and that oral administration is difficult, long winded and tedious.

Do as much as is comfortable is the main point. Even if she gets into a bath for 5-10minutes to start with low temp water is better than nothing and will work still just not as much. Get a base line and go from there.

Do before bed and sleep should be much better with body feeling relaxed.

Husband of

This in itself is a red alert. A 'proprietary blend' is shorthand for " .... we really dont want to tell you what's in this, so we're using this ploy to avoid that and hopefully not get dinged by the FDA (or its equivalent in your country) ...."

As you've noted, this is an invitation for potentially massive overdoses of other nutrients, and some of those can do real harm. To much zinc, too much copper, too much Passion FLower, too much 5HTP, too much potassium..... no :nervous::nervous::nervous:.

It's a drag, and believe me everyone on this site knows that, but the only answer is to learn to read research papers, learn how to evaluate their information and their creators, and research absolutely everything til you understand it well enough to make an informed decision for your wife ....
Oh whoops I should have said that the multivitamin daily dose is 4 pills for general health or 12 for adhd (that was the best dose according to the clinical trials). I used to take 12 for depression as that's what the staff at the company that sells them recommended (even though no clinical trials for depression). Still, has a million ingredients.

sorry, I appreciate your help and kindness.