• Phoenix Rising needs funds to operate: please consider donating to support PR

Less sleep -feel better! Decent sleep -feel dodgy! What is going on?

Wishful

I wonder about the quality of your sleep. Maybe you managed to get more brain-cleansing deep sleep in those few hours than you normally get in 8.

I had insomnia too, but that's normal for me after a drive into town...or after clearing my driveway with my snowblower.

lenora

I wonder about the quality of your sleep. Maybe you managed to get more brain-cleansing deep sleep in those few hours than you normally get in 8.

I had insomnia too, but that's normal for me after a drive into town...or after clearing my driveway with my snowblower.
Hi Wishful,

I'm left with this ittby, bitty space but probably b/c I'm doing something wrong. Anyway, perhaps you're right, although I have to tell you that my sleep was pretty well non-existent for mos. before I was diagnosed with M.E. I was working 3/4 time, so thrilled to be back in the workforce when all this occurred. Needless to say, I never was able to return to things. It does help to hear input from others and I appreciate that you took the time to reply to me. Thank-you. Yours, Lenora

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfcub

With drastically shortened sleep times, I read here
that the most affected phase is the REM phase, and stage 2 sleep. It seems delta wave (stage 4) sleep is not curtailed and can even be intensified.
Depending on the timing and duration of sleep, and the number of days it is reduced, some aspects of sleep are conserved, occur sooner, or intensify, while other aspects of sleep time are diminished. For example, healthy adults fell asleep more quickly and had decreased time in NREM stage 2 sleep and REM sleep when restricted to 4 h of nocturnal sleep for multiple nights, but they had no decrease in NREM slow wave sleep (SWS) relative to a typical 8-h nocturnal sleep period
So maybe @Wishful, that's what you mean by the brain cleansing effect. I think healing is more likely to happen in stage 4 sleep (?) (Haven't got that far in figuring this out yet...) :)

lenora

Well, as long as I'm getting the healing stage of sleep, I can put up with the rest of it. I'd rather be feeling awake and useful than groggy all the time. Thanks Wishful & Wolfcub for your input. Yours, Lenora

Wishful

So maybe @Wishful, that's what you mean by the brain cleansing effect.
Yes, the fairly recent research on how deep sleep (delta waves) pumps neural waste out through the glymphatic system (and into cervical lymph nodes, which might explain some things) caught my attention. If that waste removal process isn't working properly, it certainly should affect how we feel, and how we deal with other biological problems, such as ME.

It's nice to have scientific confirmation of the possibility that reduced sleep duration could actually improve the delta wave activity. It's at least a possible answer for this thread's question. Maybe a researcher can come up with a way to test the theory.

HABS93

That's very interesting. I was reading about taking vit K and B5 as a good combo for sleep. Apprently longer REM sleep when supplementing these.
For me however I feel better when I sleep 6-8 hours. Although I'm currently in the middle of weed withdrawals so I won't be sleep much for next week haha

lenora

Yes, the fairly recent research on how deep sleep (delta waves) pumps neural waste out through the glymphatic system (and into cervical lymph nodes, which might explain some things) caught my attention. If that waste removal process isn't working properly, it certainly should affect how we feel, and how we deal with other biological problems, such as ME.
That's very interesting. I was reading about taking vit K and B5 as a good combo for sleep. Apprently longer REM sleep when supplementing these.
For me however I feel better when I sleep 6-8 hours. Although I'm currently in the middle of weed withdrawals so I won't be sleep much for next week haha

It's nice to have scientific confirmation of the possibility that reduced sleep duration could actually improve the delta wave activity. It's at least a possible answer for this thread's question. Maybe a researcher can come up with a way to test the theory.

lenora

Hi Wishful,.....Thanks for the info. I'm not in a position to take anything until I get this Autoimmune Encephalitis straightened out and I'm given the go ahead by the doctors in the "know" to try Vit. K & B 5 as a combo for sleep.

I agree wholeheartedly, just from my own sleep experience very early on, that perhaps the lymph system is involved....it would certainly make sense in my case, but I don't feel in a position to add anything until this electrolyn imbalance problem is sorted out. Boy, how I wish the Researchers would really flag something instead of the usual "perhaps"....and I'm not saying that's even their fault. Things would move ever so much faster if we had that biomarker. The elusive little thing!! Keep me posted if you try adding them to your regimen and things change. Thanks. Yours Lenora