• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lack of chatter about the Ketogenic Diet

I feel that I need to update this with a few warnings...

-Constipation can get bad, very bad. In my case it was bad when I started, then things got semi-regular. Unfortunately I had to take some antibiotics and that eventually led to extremely painful stools, there was blood, pain afterwards for hours... I'm using psyllium now and things are much much better, I can't recommend it enough. The antibiotics were the most likely cause, but the keto diet itself is not friendly in this sense. This is pretty much the one thing that could get me off this diet.

-I don't have any evidence to support this, but I believe that the mineral loss that ketogenic diets cause can slow methylation down. Methylcobalamin has zero effect on me now - but this happened in the past too, there are too many variables to say for sure, I'm still testing things out but my intuition says it's the potassium.

Now for the good things:

-great for weight loss if you need it
-if you suspect you're pre-diabetic or going in that direction, taking in a lot of sugar, this is pretty much a must-try.
-it's not a guaranteed brain fog and fatigue reducer - but it sometimes does wonders, I'm still unable to find that sweet spot however ... and I'm still not sure how I trigger things, I sometimes get a great energy boost from half a pound of beef liver or a glass of salty water (or maybe potassium), other times meat can still get me tired. Greens are sort-of helping, but nothing spectacular, I had an incredible boost from half an avocado once, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm trying lecithin now with a mild effect.

-I wasn't using any supplements when I started, just to get a feel for the diet, now I'm using a basic multivitamin, 2-4grams of vit. C/day and 2-4 omega 3 pillls/day, that's also very helpful.

Coconut oil + coffee + butter is a strangely addictive drink, especially since I wasn't a coffee drinker and I think the coconut oil is generally helpful - but again, no strong immediate effect from it.

On my to-try list are MCT oils, protein powder (it sometimes made me feel very tired 1-2 years ago), aminoacid peptides, making bone broth more often and some other sources of fiber/prebiotics. I also probably need to take things to repair my digestive tract.

The way I see this, I wanted to push phospholipids + minerals before restarting a methylation protocol. A high fat diet kind of makes sense in this context as a preparatory stage because in my case, the last time I tried methylcobalamin + methylfolate and some SAMe, the effects lasted as long as I took the pills, there was no after-effect and it all faded back, exercise intollerance, you know how it is.

Yesterday I carried ~44 pounds (20kg) for a short distance, it didn't kill me, I went for a walk afterwards. This would have probably been impossible a few months ago.

Sorry for the chaos.

I wish there were more people here trying this.

Has anyone tried the much-marketed XCT / brain octane oils?

Last edited:

Hip

@ZudZud
I wonder if intermittent ketogenic dieting might be an idea. Instead of the full ketogenic diet, you could say have one meal a day (like your supper) which contained carbs, but the rest of the 24 hour cycle you keep to the ketogenic diet. This approach may bring some of the benefits of the full ketogenic diet, but would much easier to do.

@Hip,

According to what I've read, once you get over an upper limit of carbs, it can take days (weeks?) to get back into keto, but there's a lot of non-science floating around, so who knows. I've also read that the more you stay in ketosis, the easier it is to get back into it after going back to a carb metabolism.

I'm planning on sticking to it for at least one more month or even two - everything is just fine with added fiber.

I'll post blood tests (fat and liver related) when I'll have them, I'm quite curious about the values, I used to have low HDL and that's generally regarded as not good, but I don't think it's the cause of my problems, just another broken gear in the machine.

I don't really understand all of it, I've had days when I cleaned up the entire house, went shopping, did some (brain intensive) computer work with no issues, and I've had days when I didn't really get out of bed. Maybe I'm just slow or maybe the antibiotics hurt me more than I know, I was doing better before taking them (amoxicillin with clavulanic acid for some teeth problems)

Last edited:

Biarritz13

This diet sounds very interesting to me, that's why I dig a little bit when I found some ketogenic diet regarding the gut bacteria. I wanted to share it with you. Maybe you have some thoughts about it.

Importance of feeding your microbiome

"So, when I see a very low carb person, I often see not only a huge drop in dietary fiber, but a drop in diversity of dietary fiber and a significant drop in resistant starch, which is a huge source of nutrients for the microbiome as well. Resistant starch is often called the third dietary fiber."

"That shift in the pH is going to provide opportunities for pathogens to maybe bloom up that may cause some down-the-road, long-term problems. But again, maybe not. Nobody knows for sure, but if you’re shifting that pH and you’re not fermenting, you’re opening the pathogen’s door. It’s going to take a long time to unwind this, but I think the more low carb people we can get in the study, we can contribute to the conversation at least to the point where it can serve as a baseline for maybe more controlled clinical kinds of studies. But I would never recommend a low carb diet."

Jeff Leach from the American Gut Project

Yep, microbiome good, antibiotics bad, even worse when on low carb, that was my experience. That's an interesting read, it's upsetting that people need to crowdfund such studies but if that's what keeps things moving forward then I guess that's how it's got to be.

" We’re more microbe than mammal" <--very interesting point of view.

I've been off keto for a few weeks, I was getting a bad autoimmune reaction, bruised + painful palms, the whole digestion thing... never happened to me before. Also a small rash on both cheeks + forehead, very lupus-like, this started a week ago and lasted just a few days, it was post-keto though, might have been the cold and I'm overreacting...

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying it, just make sure your gut is ok and you don't need complicated dental work or something else involving antibiotics while on it.

I will give it another try, but I think I need to diversify my diet a lot first. Thanks for the link @Theodore !

It's strange that there are people on reddit actively spreading the belief that we don't need fiber and it's actually bad for us, I obviously don't agree.

Bdeep86

I wanted to say, I tried the Keto diet a few months ago. It tampers a lot with mineral balance which I believe is off in almost everyone with CFS so I did not feel great because of that. But it certainly wreaked absolute havoc on my digestive system. Its been months since i've discontinued and really it hasn't come back on track.

Sorry to hear that & thanks for sharing, for all the praise keto got so far online, I thought I was the only one having troubles with it. If it's any help, I've been having some luck recovering with psyllium husk and chicken soup - the kind where you simmer the bones 8+ hours to extract the minerals and whatnot, I have not tried probiotics (yet).

If anyone can make some probiotic recommendations (I will be buying from iherb) please do, the more I read about them, the more confused I get and the harder it is to pick one.

Last edited:

Tuha

I've been on the ketogenic diet for the last 4-5 weeks and it has, by far been the biggest game changer when it comes to CFS. It has probably tripled / quadrupled my energy (of course, that means a lot less when you start from next to nothing), helped cleared up my brain fog and allowed me to really start tackling CFS. I want to emphasize that in no way has it cured CFS, but nothing else I have done has even come close in terms of results.

In my searches I have seen a small, but positive amount of anecdotal evidence for the ketogenic diet. Searches for CFS on the subreddit /r/keto yield mostly positive stories. Dr. Myhill gives it a glowing recommendation. So have other doctors. So if the ketogenic diet is resulting in individuals getting better why aren't more people talking about it? When I search for the ketogenic diet on phoenixrising reveal 2-3 short threads talking about the diet. But nothing else.

Do people just not know about the diet? If so I can understand, the current state of information on CFS is a mess right now and is probably impossible for anyone entering to actually figure out what is going on with all the terminology being thrown around and the multitude of ways presented to manage CFS. Completely understandable why people would overlook this.

However I really think the ketogenic diet needs to enter the conversation more. Yes supplementing with obscure vitamins is great, as is various medications. But this is something super simple that doesn't require a gigantic investment from the individual. Not the end point obviously, but a really good starting point for sure.

Or am I just completely full of shit?

http://www.drcourtneycraig.com/blog/2015/3/25/a-ketogenic-diet-for-mecfs-fibro
http://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Ketogenic_diet_-_a_connection_between_mitochondria_and_diet

I have the same experiences. I am on ketogenic diet since september and my energy increased - I would say 30 % and I also lost stomach pains.
Now I already eat sweet potatos for some weeks and I will slowly add some fruits and rice.
I am not cured but It definitly helped me a lot to improve my ME and the quality of my life. I dont know if it´s a way to go for everyone with ME but maybe it´s worth to try it. But I think it´s good to do it with a good dietist.