• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L-Theanine slows methylation? Reduces muscle pain?

So I’ve been steadily improving with methylation treatment for 6 months now but have struggled with anxiety and waking with racing thoughts/anxiety. So after doing more research, I started taking L-Theanine and PharmaGaba. @caledonia and @ahmo and @Mary all had great suggestions about getting better sleep in general (as well as others I’m forgetting I’m sure)!

Now I sleep better than I have in five years!!! I have a Fitbit and apparently am getting at least 1 hr 20 min deep sleep each night which is more than I’ve gotten since I started keeping track, and I actually feel refreshed in the morning.

I notice within minutes of taking L-Theanine that any shoulder tenseness dissipates. However, muscle twitching has started again, which usually means I’m undermethylating and need more B12 (like when I take too much Niacin).

Does L-Theanine slow methylation? Should I back off from it? I just can’t find any correlation online but don’t want to miss something important!

I also take 1,800 potassium gluconate to help with shoulder/neck tightness. But this L-Theanine relaxes my shoulders so much more! Thanks!

Last edited:

tiredowl

It might be something with GABA receptors or the other neurotransmitters like dopamine/serotonin?
Also I found some literature that said it did something with the kynurenine pathway, but I'm not sure if that's related to what you are experiencing after taking it.

@tiredowl Thank you! I will look into that pathway. I did genetic testing and I’m curious if I have any SNPs in that pathway.

@bjl218 I do take the magnesium calm powder and magnesium glycinate as well as Epsom salt baths. But I will try upping them. Magnesium could be used for healing more now that I’m sleeping more. Or some other effect. Thank you!