• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Just another 23andme here....

Hi all - I came here a while ago when my toes first started to go numb. It's been a while but now I'm back. After several b12 checks coming back low and a host of symptoms I finally decided on 23andme. So, I did that and then ran the raw data through Genetic Genie and Prometheas.

Homozygous:
MTHFR C677T ****************
MTRR A66G
CBS C699T
CYP1B1 L432V
NAT2 R197Q

Heterozygous:
COMT V158COMT H62H
VDR Bsm
VDR Taq
BHMT-02
SHMT1 C1420T

So, the MTHFR is self-explanatory. Does anyone have any input on the rest? I am going to start Methylfolate tomorrow along with Methyl B12 (low and slow). I started and stopped MB12 numerous times - now realizing I probably needed the folate as well. I already take Magnesium daily and do fine with that. I have a question about potassium. The pills are 99mg? Several a day is required? Could I just drink a low-salt V8 or a large Coconut Water which each has over 1,000mg. Is it the same? Even with the smallest amount of B12 I always felt that I needed alot of potassium but it could have been folate that was needed. Also, I tried MB12, Hydoxy B12, and Adenosyl b12. All have had there own negative effects. I think I did feel best though with the MB12 for a while. I know it's trial and error but some guidance would be helpful. And does anyone experience shortness of breath with these mutations? I think that's driving me crazy the most. And, am I missing any supplements as I don't react well to many? Sorry about all the questions! I am reading and learning as much as I can.

pattismith

@Shrimpbones
I may not be helpful to you unfortunately, so I hope others will comment your results.

Like you I am homozygous for MTHFR C677T....But I did not well with methylation protocol.

For the moment only hydroxyB12 injections suit me.

I would just add that if you have some reason to suspect mitochondria disorder, ENLIS may be better to help you to browse your raw datas and find any missense mutation in your mitochondrial DNA.

CedarHome

Hi, @Shrimpbones
I did not find MTHFR to be self-explanatory but glad it's not completely new to you.

Personally, I bought a big container of potassium gluconate powder and add it 1/2 and 1/2 with table salt to water, along with some lemon or lime juice. If that seems too salty and I need the potassium alone, I just take it in water.

I also have coconut water but sometimes that seems too sweet. I also have some v-8 type stuff and that's good to switch it up.

there is a lot of great info here on Phoenix Rising about methylation & recommended co-factors.

Possibly you've already seen the classic, :), @caledonia's Methylation 101?
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/caledonias-methylation-and-mercury-links.1744/

And here's just a couple more

here's one thread on micronutrient depletion
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/what-does-high-b12-mean.52890/

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tion-protocols-trial-items.14637/#post-240482

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/methyl-folate-severe-crash.53368/#post-885970

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

Hey, @CedarHome
Thanks for the reply. I did by no means mean that MTHFR was understandable. Not at all - otherwise I would not be on this forum asking away. Just that I already knew what it meant because that is what I was specifically looking for. My B12 was already low and I wanted to see if a MTHFR mutation could be a possible contributing factor to that. Now that I have my results and also see some other mutations I am going to go to a genetic professional to help me sort this out and put all the pieces together. I was going to start MethylFolate but after doing some research I read that it should not be used if there is also a CBS mutation - that it could be dangerous. Not sure how true this is that is why I am seeking out a professional. I am somewhat fearful to self-medicate as the even the smallest amount of anything give me not so pleasant reactions. Thanks for all the info - I sure do need it!