• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

it seems ron davis may have a new potential treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkcrap50

Something just doesn’t sound right with the robots still not being fixed. Does OMF not have the funds to do this, esp if the metabolic trap theory is so promising?
This is coming from the wife of the top researcher in a foundation that in 2020 pulled in $4,062,970, all while for years pushing the metabolic trap as cure. I understand 4 million is chump change in the grand scheme of things, but this really gets my mind going in the tin foil hat direction.
I've commented before that it's misleading to say, "OMF has $4 million sitting around, why can't they find this small amount of money?" About half of all money OMF has on hand is tied up with restrictions from donors to specific projects. See table below from OMF's 2020 Financial Statements on page 16:
1630823760709.png

In sum, it is a lot of money whose total could fund several projects. But when it is divided up with small amounts reserved for different projects, each project amount is insufficient to fund a full study.

And you can see, as of start of 2021, OMF has $0.00 in restricted donations for the IDO Metabolic Trap Project. It's a good question where the $300,000 spent in 2020 went. Dr. Phair primarily I would imagine. However, that still remains $3.3 million in cash holdings from donations without restrictions. I can't explain why that money hasn't been used for research, nor why donations held are mostly unchanged from 2019-2020.

Last edited by a moderator:

bread.

Like always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle, things are more complex than they seem, all in all, science is troubled by the same human issues that are everywhere in politics etc., this often interferes with "best possible outcome" at any point in time. To some (much too high) degree, science IS politics.

I feel like people are very frustrated that someone promised a "cure" in a year, but we aren't getting any updates in months. I can see why people are angry that someone is trying to cheer them up by saying that cure is nearly there. I bet that some people that believed in this will get extremely disappointed, if in 1-2 years we won't get anything special, which may leed to even more suicidal thoughts. I can see why people would prefer to always hear the full truth about research and how promising it is in reality.

Yet i wouldn't say anything about how Ron Davis doesn't understand this illness severity. Isn't Whitney Dafoe, literally one of the most severe patients we know, is a son of Ron Davis? Am i missing something? I think it's in their best interest to find a cure.

seamyb

Guys,

do you keep in mind that neither Janet nor Whitney is stuff of the OMF?!
What exactly did OMF themselves announce or promise?

If you have a problem with OMF don't donate. They don't owe you anything. And the scientists waived their fees for a long time in order to help us in this completely underfunded situation.

Whose fault ist it and why?

Btw OMF is not only the needle and the yeast. If you're not satisfied with the metabolic trap theory there are dozens and dozens of other theories all of which are deadlocks who haven't even made it near a petri dish. Why don't you complain about these?

I understand the frustration very much, but what kind of insults are being used here in the direction of those who rip their asses off - I have absolutely zero sympathy for!

All traces of my post were removed including your quote and reply to it, so I've no idea what you replied in regards to it.

I hope the sarcasm was obvious however and that my post was in defense of Davis.

Reading_Steiner

I understand the disappointment but I don't see that theres any conspiracy here, just something that turned out to be more complicated than expected, with more bureaucracy and delays in every facet. I am grateful for everything those guys have done to bring legitimacy to the field of study and even if the experiments haven't lead anywhere, some of the data might be useful later on to a different researcher to rule out something or other as being the issue. Any little update would be welcome, its been a while since we heard anything.

Jyoti

THE MODERATION TEAM HAS CONCLUDED THAT THIS THREAD HAS GONE FAIRLY FAR AFIELD FROM THE ORIGINAL INTENT, AND IN SO DOING, HAS CREATED DISSENSION. CONSEQUENTLY, IT IS BEING CLOSED PERMANENTLY. IF THERE ARE IDEAS AND DISCUSSIONS ARISING FROM THIS THREAD WHICH YOU WISH TO EXPLORE FURTHER, WE INVITE YOU TO OPEN A NEW THREAD IN ORDER TO DO SO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.