• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is m.e. yet another form of EDS?

Hip

I think we cannot rule out norovirus as a possible contributer to ME.

I guess we cannot entirely rule it out, but at present there is zero evidence that norovirus can trigger ME/CFS, and zero evidence that norovirus is forming chronic infections in ME/CFS patients.

Not only that, but to my knowledge, there is zero evidence that norovirus is linked to any chronic disease, period.

So norovirus does not appear to be a virus that can cause chronic diseases. The only possible exception is a theoretical link to Crohn's disease, but I don't think there is at present any empirical evidence for such a link.

Compare that to enterovirus, which is linked to many chronic diseases, including: ME/CFS, type 1 diabetes, dilated cardiomyopathy, Parkinson's, motor neuron disease, Sjogren's syndrome, valvular heart disease and others.

So enterovirus is the sort of virus which can cause chronic diseases of all kinds. Same with Epstein-Barr virus, it is linked to several chronic diseases and cancers. Norovirus however does not appear to be linked to any chronic disease.