• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Apheresis an effective treatment for Long Covid and ME?

Shanti1

Administrator
They are measuring SvO2 at rest in the patient's current, compensated state. That's why I think it's really useful to know what happens to it following exertion (PEM). Can it give a clue as to which of the above factors is at play?

If SvO2 drops precipitously (and then slowly recovers) following exertion that suggests to me that there is worsening RBC deformability.
Gotcha, yes, I agree.

Shanti1

Administrator
@tyson oberle if they are clots of the regular variety, yes, but several on this thread have commented that anticoagulant therapy doesn't provide big improvement in most peME.

If they are clots of the long-COVID type variety, they have something called antiplasmin in them in high amounts and they are resistant to break down.

Some people hypothesize that these resistant type clots may be present in pwME. While they have not yet been detected, it is an area of active investigation and hopefully we will know sooner rather than later.

SNT Gatchaman

Not sure if this has been posted already, but this is Prof. Pretorius' answer to why the d-Dimer might be normal on blood tests, despite the presence of extensive micro-clots. From a week ago.

D-dimer is a breakdown product of fibrin - microclots trap/contain fibrin, numerous inflammatory and pathological molecules, including a-2-antiplasmin (this molecule prevents microclot breakdown). So I would not suspect much D-dimer in circulation.

GlassCannonLife

In case anyone is interested - I actually developed a very long, 22 cm clot all up my arm after my 2nd Pfizer vaccine shot. I had done an IV vitamin C infusion that morning in that arm and it clotted from 2 cm below the infusion site all the way up to the top of my shoulder (infused in the normal elbow vein people use for blood tests etc).

I have been on 4 mg enoxaparin injections daily, and taking a lot of rutin (500 mg 3x daily), bromelain (1-2 times daily, sorry forgot the dose) and serrapeptase (120 000 SPUs) on most days to try and resolve it.

It is still not 100 % gone after nearly 7 weeks. I have been in a terrible crash for around half of this time, and it doesn't seem like the supplements or anticoagulant did anything to help my ME - unless I formed a lot of microclots that have been improving over the weeks? But I doubt it somehow.. Anyway the root dysfunction has not been touched by this drug/supplement combo. It seems like apheresis might indeed be necessary, if there are microclots present in all ME sufferers.

FYI, when not crashed, rutin gives me a little bit of improved brain clarity (not when this crashed though), and bromelain improves my IBS, but I don't notice anything else from them.

Shanti1

Administrator
Professor Resia Pretorius: "As with so much of this condition there are overlaps with other autoimmune disorders and Pretorius has in past studies found micro clots in the blood of those with inflammatory conditions such as Lupus and Diabetes. " https://www.tlcsessions.net/episodes/episode-18-professor-resia-pretorius-microclots
I didn't listen to the episode, so please let me know if I am missing something, but it seems established that microclots can occur in a multitude of inflammatory conditions, the question is, are they COVID type resistant-clots. I'm thinking the diabetes type are not since Dr. Pretorius chose to use serum from type II diabetes patients to compare with clotting in serum from long-COVID patients in her landmark study.

https://assets.researchsquare.com/f...-1b81-4f44-ae0f-51071eff3093.pdf?c=1631885374
We also show that these microclots in both acute COVID-19 and Long COVID/PASC plasma samples are resistant to fibrinolysis (compared to plasma from controls and T2DM), even after trypsinisation

SWAlexander

I didn't listen to the episode, so please let me know if I am missing something, but it seems established that micro clots can occur in a multitude of inflammatory conditions, the question is, are they COVID type resistant-clots. I'm thinking the diabetes type are not since Dr. Pretorius chose to use serum from type II diabetes patients to compare with clotting in serum from long-COVID patients in her landmark study.

https://assets.researchsquare.com/f...-1b81-4f44-ae0f-51071eff3093.pdf?c=1631885374

According to Dr. Khan, Dr. Pretorius will arrive next week in Germany and examine the micro clots from apheresis patients. We may know more in about 10 days.

Countrygirl

Does anyone have an idea about how much this HELP Asheresis machine costs? I am talking about the price of the actual unit, not the price of treatments which I know was answered in a previous post.

Between £1300 and 1500 per cycle, I read

5vforest

Does anyone have an idea about how much this HELP Asheresis machine costs? I am talking about the price of the actual unit, not the price of treatments which I know was answered in a previous post.

The exact pricing is probably "proprietary" info. I'm sure someone in the healthcare industry could give you a ballpark though. Just not me :)

Aidan Walsh

Not trying to get off-topic but I have seen patients with a C1 Jugular Skull compression who underwent Surgery for it & Eagle Syndrome & back to 98% normal now & off all pain & autonomic medicine. One had both surgeries at the same time one was an ES ENT Neurosurgeon the other one was a Vascular Neurosurgeon so maybe it is not thick blood but blockage. One was not found on CT it was an ultrasound looking at blood flow in/out Volume & they did not file down the C1, they released the vein

Last edited: