• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Apheresis an effective treatment for Long Covid and ME?

GlassCannonLife

So are any pwME going through this therapy currently? I thought I saw above that they have successfully treated some that weren't long COVID.

Is anyone here going to go in soon?

Has anyone with ME been treated and the HELP-apheresis failed to resolve their condition?

SWAlexander

So are any pwME going through this therapy currently? I thought I saw above that they have successfully treated some that weren't long COVID.

Has anyone with ME been treated and the HELP-apheresis failed to resolve their condition?

I wish I could go to Dr. Jaeger but there are 7000 people waiting.

SWAlexander

Do you know, or is there any way we can find out, if there are any ME people on that list?

I follow Dr. Khan on Twitter
1636614378437.png

SNT Gatchaman

I'm pretty sure ME patients are now on the list, which must be well over the 7000 quoted just a week or two back. Unclear when some pwME might make it to treatment, but if it were effective I'm sure we'll hear about it from some of them via social media long before anything is published in the scientific literature.

I wonder whether Dr Weir will be assessing LC patients and formally diagnosing them as ME. That might be quite useful, although the million dollar question relates to long-term ME patients.

If shown to be effective, I'm really hoping that a pharmaceutical therapy will replace apheresis for the majority, as this would be too rate-limited given the vast numbers of LC, on top of all the long-term ME patients.

SWAlexander

I'm pretty sure ME patients are now on the list, which must be well over the 7000 quoted just a week or two back. Unclear when some pwME might make it to treatment, but if it were effective I'm sure we'll hear about it from some of them via social media long before anything is published in the scientific literature.

I wonder whether Dr Weir will be assessing LC patients and formally diagnosing them as ME. That might be quite useful, although the million dollar question relates to long-term ME patients.

If shown to be effective, I'm really hoping that a pharmaceutical therapy will replace apheresis for the majority, as this would be too rate-limited given the vast numbers of LC, on top of all the long-term ME patients.

If there are not already meds for therapy on the market, training for HELP-apheresis and refitting equipments would be more efficient, since most hospitals provide already kidney dialysis.

MonkeyMan

If you're willing to travel (or happen to live in Germany), an easy way to find a doc who will administer HELP apheresis is through the Braun website (https://www.bbraun.com/en/patients/renal-care-for-patients/renal-care-centers.html). I contacted 3 different centers in Berlin and found one who will do one session of treatment for 1300 Euros, but he can't schedule me till February or March.

SNT Gatchaman

If there are not already meds for therapy on the market, training for HELP-apheresis and refitting equipments would be more efficient, since most hospitals provide already kidney dialysis.

Possibly a couple of problems though. Refitting equipment may not be technically possible (I have no idea). But also, haemofiltration / haemodialysis machines are often a constrained resource already in many countries healthcare systems. They may already be at or close to capacity.

A regimen based on existing pharmaceuticals would be ideal. I think this is starting to be being evaluated now.

junkcrap50

Last edited:

junkcrap50

Does anyone know of other communities that discuss specifically this treatment & pathology, HELP Apheresis & MicroClotting? I've read there is at least one facebook group dedicated to it, but can't find it. And I wonder if there are any others.

junkcrap50

A prepent of a case study of HELP apheresis on Long Covid patients by Dr. Jaeger.

Here is what the person who got a hold of it reportedly said about it:
Got it from one of the Covid Long-Haulers that is currently doing the treatment in Germany. She was one of Dr. Patterson's 8000 "success" patients, by the way, so it was an interesting story. She seems to have been experiencing some success with HELP, but it does not seem that every Long Hauler benefits from it, some got worse. This one seems to help those mostly affected by microclots.

Attachments

• Long Covid Apheresis Case Studies - Jaeger_07-04-2021_COVID_Cases.pdf
    497.7 KB · Views: 27

SNT Gatchaman

@bensmith One of the complexities in my mind would be the interaction between micro-clots and abnormal red blood cells. I think they've observed that some after treatment deteriorate - anecdotally they stopped pacing early and tried to be normal immediately.

I think this might relate to the 120 day lifespan of poorly deformable red cells. It's going to take 4 months for those to all clear and they need to only make good RBCs that stay good.

Remember Ron Davis said he thought every crash might restart the disease. Could even be that crashing tends to induce more micro-clot formation again. Much to learn over the next 3-6 months (I know we all want a cure now).

I suspect that apheresis and/or targeted anticoagulation might set you up for a slow, steady paced recovery.

If it were the case that long term ME patients also had micro-clots, then we might be in a much better position to control a recovery - being well practiced in the art of pacing and avoiding crashes.

All just conjecture.

junkcrap50

One of the complexities in my mind would be the interaction between micro-clots and abnormal red blood cells. I think they've observed that some after treatment deteriorate - anecdotally they stopped pacing early and tried to be normal immediately.

I think this might relate to the 120 day lifespan of poorly deformable red cells. It's going to take 4 months for those to all clear and they need to only make good RBCs that stay good.
No doubt there is some interaction between microclots & rbcs.

SlamDancin

@SNT Gatchaman One piece of anecdotal evidence that I’ve seen one other pwME say is that Nattokinase/Bromelain made me worse. I had to discontinue after about 10 days. Felt like a possible Herx reaction and felt flu like with heavy malaise. Went away after discontinuing and I’m back to baseline now after a couple days.

what do you think that could be about? I don’t notice the same with low dose aspirin but I don’t notice any positives either

Back