• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

International ME/CFS Conference to Focus on New Frontiers, Long COVID, Exercise Studies, Immune Exhaustion & More

Martin aka paused||M.E.

How about that Oxaloacetate though from Dr. Kaufman ? the tweet says 80% show improvement, is that old news too ?
Some tried it... I ordered it too but it's a bit fishy... 100mg active ingredient and 150 my cheap vitC and not declare that in front of the packaging. But if it helps, I'm ready to pay for it

perrier

How about that Oxaloacetate though from Dr. Kaufman ? the tweet says 80% show improvement, is that old news too ?
I think that is Benegene, isn't it. My daughter trialed this supplement, and at first it gave 2% increase in energy and then it just stopped even that. I did hear Dr K was big on this supplement, but our experience shows it does nothing for PEM, or malaise, or flu feeling. I am so discouraged, so disgusted by the neglect of young people, I now believe it is criminal that govts/medical researchers have abandoned a whole generation. I know that Dr. Davis works like the dickens, but he is only one man, and we need hundreds upon hundreds with his drive.

J.G

Did Dr. Kaufman elaborate in his presentation on what he believes is the mechanism behind oxaloacetate's efficacy in improving symptoms? Oxaloacetate is involved in a lot of biological processes - gluconeogenesis and the urea cycle to name just two.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Did Dr. Kaufman elaborate in his presentation on what he believes is the mechanism behind oxaloacetate's efficacy in improving symptoms? Oxaloacetate is involved in a lot of biological processes - gluconeogenesis and the urea cycle to name just two.
Yes he did. Can't upload the slides here due to copyright. But it's about metabolism... Reduces NF-kB inflammation, 58% increased PGC-1alpha...glucose uptake with increased AMPK activation...promotes AST... Increased NAD+/NADH ratio... Reduces lactate production

J.G

Yes he did. Can't upload the slides here due to copyright. But it's about metabolism... Reduces NF-kB inflammation, 58% increased PGC-1alpha...glucose uptake with increased AMPK activation...promotes AST... Increased NAD+/NADH ratio... Reduces lactate production
That's great! I'm sure we can expect a paper sooner rather than later :) Increased AMPK activation and glucose uptake sounds like a big one, in light of the PDH complex inhibition that Fluge & Mella found. Reduced lactate production ties in with that.

I've seen AMPK described as the "master regulator of energy metabolism including glucose metabolism, lipid metabolism, protein synthesis and redox regulation". There's feedback loops with BH4 too, which is sometimes mentioned on these boards.

Last edited:

Pyrrhus

Michael VanElzakker and the Workwell foundation presented a poster at the recent 2021 IACFS/ME conference that also suggests that EEG could be used to detect the presence of brain fog:

1630259577909-png.44531

Pyrrhus

2021 Conference Summaries are now available:
https://www.iacfsme.org/2021-conference-summaries/

Dr. Rosamund Vallings and Dr. Sarah Dalziel (New Zealand)
Dr. Vallings, who was a dedicated IACFS/ME Board Member for many years, continues to support our mission by summarizing this year's meeting. Joining her is her daughter, Dr. Dalziel. Click here to read their summary.
[...]
Ms. Katrina Pears, ME Association (United Kingdom)
Visit this link.

#ME Action
Visit this link.

Ms. Miriam Tucker, MedScape
Ms. Tucker has been writing about ME/CFS for many years. She reported on studies about COVID-19, autoimmune autonomic small fiber neuropathy, (aaSFN), and ME/CFS.

Mr. Cort Johnson
Mr. Johnson has written about ME/CFS since 2004 and currently operates the HealthRising website. This is an article concerning the meeting and concentrates on the work of Dr. Carmen Scheibenbogen.

Margaret Parlor, National ME/FM Action Network (Canada)
Visit this link.

wastwater

I noticed my gene PITX2 has interactions with the frizzled group of G protein
Abilify effects G protein it says on wiki

vision blue

Years ago I bought oxacoacetate from benegene at a discounted price- I chickened out of trying it and still have the bottle. Read about how it causes a sudden dip in glutimate, which decided could be a problem if brain has such a fast depletion. can't remember now. Would love to read the transcript of that talk though on its mechanism of action on CFS. Maybe i will start thinking about it again.