• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Infusion time for IV saline- does anyone know what the typical infusion time is for 1L saline for ME/CFS?

Shanti1

Administrator
I will be trying this today and am wondering if flow rate can impact how well it works since I am gathering that some of the benefit may be from baroreceptors in the blood vessels detecting extra pressure....

Shanti1

Administrator
Do you mean the faster the better?
I was wondering if there may be an advantage to doing a faster rather than slower infusion within the window of safety for infusion rate. I did find this, "It does not seem to matter how fast or slow the fluids are run in, everyone seems to develop their own preferences," from Dr. Bell who has expertise in IV saline from ME/CFS, so I think it answers my question. https://www.prohealth.com/library/dr-david-bell-on-intravenous-fluid-as-a-treatment-for-me-cfs-23713

I did do the IV saline yesterday, 1L over 2.5 hours starting around noon. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to make a difference for me, if anything, I felt more fatigued that afternoon and into the evening. It did increase my systolic and diastolic BP by about 15 mm/hg each (usually I am low 80s/ low 50s. My ADH is low and I drink about 4-6 L of water a day, so I was hoping to get a response. I do not, however, have POTS.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

1L over 2.5 hours
Honestly that’s very slow. I administer 1 L in 30 minutes. If you go too fast you might get problems (crashes).
But think of emergency cases who are in danger of bleeding to death. They give a litre just at the place of the accident while the patient is still on the street/in the ambulance in a few minutes.

Learner1

Honestly that’s very slow. I administer 1 L in 30 minutes. If you go too fast you might get problems (crashes).
But think of emergency cases who are in danger of bleeding to death. They give a litre just at the place of the accident while the patient is still on the street/in the ambulance in a few minutes.
There is no way I could tolerate a 1 liter saline infusion that fast. Everyone is different. I get regular infusions and can generally tolerate 500ml within about 60-75 minutes.

mitoMAN

I am having 500ml done in about 30 minutes before my IVIG and notice that everytime I get Saline IV (1L total) I feel good for the day and 1-2 days later. Then the effect vansihses. I think the short positive is from the extra volume and not the IVIG. (As most CFS patients rather have short negatives to IVIG)

GlassCannonLife

I was wondering if there may be an advantage to doing a faster rather than slower infusion within the window of safety for infusion rate. I did find this, "It does not seem to matter how fast or slow the fluids are run in, everyone seems to develop their own preferences," from Dr. Bell who has expertise in IV saline from ME/CFS, so I think it answers my question. https://www.prohealth.com/library/dr-david-bell-on-intravenous-fluid-as-a-treatment-for-me-cfs-23713

I did do the IV saline yesterday, 1L over 2.5 hours starting around noon. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to make a difference for me, if anything, I felt more fatigued that afternoon and into the evening. It did increase my systolic and diastolic BP by about 15 mm/hg each (usually I am low 80s/ low 50s. My ADH is low and I drink about 4-6 L of water a day, so I was hoping to get a response. I do not, however, have POTS.

I normally do 1 L (of Hartmann's) in 40-70 minutes, depending on how fast my vein is going on that day lol. I find the faster the better in that I have POTS/OI and I sit up for the infusions, so I feel more worn out the longer they take.

I never infuse straight saline or Hartmann's though, but only solution with around 1 g glutathione, 5 g magnesium chloride, 200 mg B1, 2 mg B12, and 50 g vitamin C.

I normally do 1 L (of Hartmann's) in 40-70 minutes, depending on how fast my vein is going on that day lol. I find the faster the better in that I have POTS/OI and I sit up for the infusions, so I feel more worn out the longer they take.

I never infuse straight saline or Hartmann's though, but only solution with around 1 g glutathione, 5 g magnesium chloride, 200 mg B1, 2 mg B12, and 50 g vitamin C.
I am interested in hearing more about the protocol you mentioned. How often do you do it? What results do you notice? Who oversees this? I have been interested in this type of protocol for awhile. Is there a way to discuss this directly?

I am curious about the regimen you mentioned. How often do you do these infusions? Who oversees them? I have been wondering if infusions of high dose C/B1 would help me but I can’t find anyone to direct me. Please give me more details!

SnappingTurtle

I am trying this IV hydration, too. Just had my second plain 1L saline infusion, which absorbed in a little less than 30 mins. Iw ent to a local "med spa". Cost me $99, but I secretly think they raised the price on me from $79.

My first time, I was in middt of prolonged relapse. After the iv, I felt drowsy/tired for the rest of the day (I had the iv at noon). Next day, my Garmin reported an atypically rising body battery measurement through to end of day! I didn't do much, though, since I was resting aggressively (such an oxymoron)! I did feel like I was able to tolerate more prolonged upright positions. This effect lasted a total of 3 days.

If this works again this time and again for 2 more times, I am hoping this can be covered by insurance if it is done in a hospital or clinic.