• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IL-7 against XMRV?

There's an interesting article in the online-magazine CELL about a newly discovered hormone called IL-7 that is a claimed to be a very potent booster for the immunesystem...
www.cell.com

Navid

This is the company that makes the IL-7. I will write them and suggest they contact WPI. I already told WPI about them.

http://www.cytheris.com/Clinical_Trials/hiv.php

hi RR:

are there any US trials? i am xmrv+ and my c4 and c8 counts are lower than someone just about to die from aids....wonder if this company will look into trial some xmrv poz who have low c counts. were you able to speak to a real live person when you called?

redo

hi spacca. they are doing a trial to see if they can reduce reservoirs or eradicate HIV using IL-7:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01019551

not sure how they can do this until enough drugs reach the brain and gut...but who knows.

It's supposed to work by turning off a gene called SOCS-3. The theory is that when the IL-7 levels get a huge boost, the gene is turned off, and when the gene is turned off, the immune system (throughout the body) will fight the virus more effectivly. So the ability for the IL-7 to reach gut/brain places aren't that important (because it's not the IL-7 which is supposed to work directly on the pathogens)...

I really think they may be onto something on this one (I know, it's abou HIV and not XMRV, but despite that, I got a good feeling about this one).

rwac

Dietary nucleotides might do the job. I know yeast extract and organ meats are sources of dietary nucleotides.
I'm currently taking yeast extract and it seems to help. Beware of taking too much, it exacerbates my asthma which hasn't been a problem for years.

Nucleotides enhance the secretion of interleukin 7 from primary-cultured murine intestinal epithelial cells.

Murakami R, Yamada K, Nagafuchi S, Hachimura S, Takahashi T, Kaminogawa S, Totsuka M.

Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, The University of Tokyo, Yayoi, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, Japan.
Abstract

Our previous studies showed that dietary nucleotides fed to mice enhanced the secretion of interleukin 7 (IL-7) and transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) from intestinal epithelial cells (IECs). To explore whether nucleotides influence IECs directly to enhance the secretion of the cytokines or not, the effects of nucleotides added in vitro on the cytokine secretion from primary-cultured murine IECs were examined. When the mixture of nucleotide 5'-monophosphates (CMP, GMP, IMP, and UMP) or individual nucleotide 5'-monophosphates were added to the primary culture of IECs derived from BALB/c mice, the secretion of IL-7, but not that of TGF-beta, was increased significantly. Addition of nucleotides to the culture did not alter the number of the IECs. Secretion of IL-6 and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor, which are known to be secreted from IECs, was not enhanced by the addition of nucleotides. These results demonstrate that nucleotides can affect IECs directly to enhance the secretion of IL-7, and suggest that the increased secretion of TGF-beta from IECs by dietary nucleotides was due to indirect effects of the nucleotides, which may affect intestinal microflora or cells other than IECs that in turn influence the cytokine secretion of IECs.

Overstressed

Hi Redo,

it seems not that encouraging, once the smoke has gone. I read some follow-up on that, and it looks like IL-7 doesn't touch the reservoirs, where provirus is lurking around. Studies revealed that genitically same viri where swimming around, after people received 3 shots of IL-7. This means that reservoirs are not tingled by IL-7. So, this is a setback, again. But IL-7 remains interesting, maybe as a complementary therapy.

I will see if I can find that link to the study, and paste it here.

Take care,
OS.

Rrrr

hi RR:

are there any US trials? i am xmrv+ and my c4 and c8 counts are lower than someone just about to die from aids....wonder if this company will look into trial some xmrv poz who have low c counts. were you able to speak to a real live person when you called?

hi, i did not call them, i just emailed and asked them if they want to contact WPI. no response.

they list their clinical trials on their website. but you can also call them! i sent the info to dr. jamie deckoff jones, too, at WPI.

Navid

thanks...saw the trials listed on the clinical trials website.

hopefully dr. jamie will review the treatment possibility vs xmrv w/ the wpi team.

thanks

Daffodil

Navid...if your health is that poor, why not try antiretroivrals? they dont seem to be a magic bullet but i am much better on them than off!

sue
xoxo

Gemini

redo

Hi OS,

Well, I am satisfied with it not eradicating it. I just want to get well :)
It's alright for me if it is a life long therapy, as long as it works. (Of course) We don't know if it does that yet, but I think they're really onto something on this one. And I think this is a really gentle treatment, because it's just a signaling substance (IL-7) which gets a boost, and thereby boosts other immune fuctions. But - of course - this is something which most likely is eternities until it's through phase I, II and III for xand. My guess is that they'll do a HIV trial long before a CFS trial.

Rrrr,

Dr. Pellegrini's group switched off the SOCS-3 gene in their animal model. This technique appears to differ from the clinical trials that are administering IL-7 to HIV patients? Anyone comment?

http://www.wehi.edu.au/site/latest_news/boosting_bodys_immune_response_may_hold_key_to_hiv_cure

@Gemini. As I understand it, Pellegrini used a IL-7 boost in order to switch the gene.

Rrrr

Rrrr,

Dr. Pellegrini's group switched off the SOCS-3 gene in their animal model. This technique appears to differ from the clinical trials that are administering IL-7 to HIV patients? Anyone comment?

http://www.wehi.edu.au/site/latest_news/boosting_bodys_immune_response_may_hold_key_to_hiv_cure

i read your link (thanks!). i thought it said that simply administering the IL-7 is what switched off the SOCS-3 gene, thereby allowing the body to naturally clear itself of virus. do i have that right?

Gemini

i thought it said that simply administering the IL-7 is what switched off the SOCS-3 gene, thereby allowing the body to naturally clear itself of virus. do i have that right?

Rrrr,

It's a bit confusing, you're right it says IL-7 switches off SOCS-3. Then it goes on to say:

The findings could help to develop drugs that target some of these host molecules, such as SOCS-3, and turn them off for very short, defined periods of time to reinvigorate the T cells, allowing them to regroup to fight infection...

On another thread someone from Australia said news reports indicated it would be a matter of years before those new drugs would be available. So I assumed maybe incorrectly Pellegrini's technique is different from just administering IL-7 which is being done now.

Overstressed

On another thread someone from Australia said news reports indicated it would be a matter of years before those new drugs would be available. So I assumed maybe incorrectly Pellegrini's technique is different from just administering IL-7 which is being done now.

Hi Gemini,

I had asked Pellegrini himself, what exactly was the difference, seen the lack of success with humans. I asked if it just was the SOCS-3 gene... Unfortunately, he didn't really answer my question, perhaps, because I referred to the clinical trials of 'Cytheris'. His answer was short:

"The cytheris sponsored trials actually look very promising. There are now several HIV, HCV and HBV phase II trials underway."

So, we don't know if it's all in the SOCS-3 gene, or that IL-7 is just not touching the reservoirs...

@redo: I fully understand, you just want to get better, get your life a bit back. But there is the cancer link, and virus there means high cancer risk, as it is with HIV. HAART keeps the virus under control, but it doesn't keep the cancer away.

Take care,
OS.

redo

Overstressed. I haven't heard of Cytheris before, but now that I Google it, I see that they are making IL-7.
http://www.cytheris.com/ Thanks for mentioning it.

This is the way I see it:
Interleukins (not a specific one, but the broad class) are a class of cytokines which tells the immune system to "do this or that". They are signaling molecules.

IL-7 (among other things) enhances the T-cells in the body, and other things. So it's not the interleukins themselves which fights off the infection, but the "immune system awakening" which happens when IL-7 stimulates the immune system.

I don't know if I am right, but that's the way I understand it.

I'd appreciate info on the cancer (and IL-7?) link. If there is a cancer link, I guess it's a lymphoma, breast cancer or prostate cancer link?? (just guessing, cause it's those cancers which may be linked with XAND).

Please give a link to the lack of success in humans.