• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I think Earthing cured my dysautonomia/POTS

Jimbo39

As I understand it, the way the main power in the wires in around your house create an electrical voltage in your body is mainly through capacitive coupling (meaning your body and the mains electric wires around your home automatically create what is known as a capacitor, which is an electrical system can transit an alternating electric voltage and current across a distance though the air; see this study).

So you're saying the wiring in your house can also give off an electrical current into the air? It would be interesting to see a study on people who have lived off the grid. I knew a lady who didn't have any electricity who lived to be 97. She'd fire up her generator a few hours at night. Had a propane refrigerator.

Hip

So you're saying the wiring in your house can also give off an electrical current into the air?

Sort of, but not though the air as such, as it would work just as well through a vacuum. There are several ways in which electrical energy can transmit at a distance, traveling through a non-conducting medium like the vacuum of empty space or air: one is the well-known electromagnetic waves we are all familiar with (eg, radio waves, light, and radiant heat from a hot fire), but you also have capacitive coupling and inductive coupling as means to transmit electrical energy at a distance through air or a vacuum (though for these the range is much shorter).

If you have ever tried to record sound using a microphone, and you inadvertently picked up some mains hum buzzing sounds on your recording, that hum got to your microphone via capacitive coupling from the mains power wires to the microphone.

It's quite possible that the electrical influence that the mains wiring in our homes has on our body might be beneficial to health; I wouldn't assume by default that it is going to have a negative effect.

Earthing in a sense amplifies the effects of this electrical influence of the mains wiring on our bodies, by allowing a current to flow in and out of your body, to the 50 or 60 Hz rhythm of the mains power.

What I would like to see is a study comparing the health benefits of earthing performed off the grid (at a remote, mains electricity-free location) to the health benefits of earthing performed on the grid (ie, in a normal home). My hunch is that the health benefits of earthing may actually come from the mains electrical power in our homes. All the earthing studies I quoted in this earlier post were performed on the grid. Maybe earthing would not work very well at all if you did it out in nature, off the electrical grid.

Last edited:

Barry53

I don't know about studies but growing up in the Orient, I've been to places in the Phillippines and Micronesia where people do live in huts and go barefoot and seem healthier than westerners (diabeties is unheard of). Of course there can be a myriad of other reasons i.e. healthy food (especially fish and coconut), hard work, less stress, a tight knit social network, etc.
But of course that is a million miles away from identifying earthing as being the reason for their better health.

Barry53

It's quite possible that the electrical influence that the mains wiring in our homes has on our body might be beneficial to health; I wouldn't assume by default that it is going to have a negative effect.
To assume either way without good evidence would be very unwise.
Earthing in a sense amplifies the effects of this electrical influence of the mains wiring on our bodies, by allowing a current to flow in and out of your body, to the 50 or 60 Hz rhythm of the mains power.
Both capacitive and inductive coupling will have extremely small effects on current flow, at mains frequencies and the distances involved, along with the high electrical impedance the human body presents. But future research may one day find (this is pure conjecture, nothing more) that there may be effects on the human body (good and/or bad) that extend beyond mere current flow through the body, and maybe there are more localised effects within the body, when exposed to alternating electric fields, even very weak ones. There have been concern over the years regarding close proximity to power lines (where the electric field strength is relatively high), and mobile phones etc where the frequencies are much higher (and so electrical impedance much lower).

Hip

Both capacitive and inductive coupling will have extremely small effects on current flow, at mains frequencies and the distances involved,

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I measured AC current flows from my body to earth, and these were 0.2 μA when in my bedroom (capacitive coupling), which went up to 1.0 μA when I moved right next to a power adaptor plug (inductive coupling).

If you examine the health effects of electrical currents in this microamp (μA) range, by looking at the effects of microcurrent electrical neuromuscular stimulator (MENS) devices, you see that these health effects include: treatments for pain, diabetic neuropathy, age-related macular degeneration, wound healing, tendon repair, plantar fasciitis and ruptured ligament recovery.

So in spite of the currents being very small, they do have a physiological effect.

Last edited:

Jimbo39

If you examine the health effects of electrical currents in this microamp (μA) range, by looking at the effects of microcurrent electrical neuromuscular stimulator (MENS) devices, you see that these health effects include: treatments for pain, diabetic neuropathy, age-related macular degeneration, wound healing, tendon repair, plantar fasciitis and ruptured ligament recovery.

It seems as though micro current therapy may be just as effective (maybe more so) than earthing.

Barry53

So in spite of the currents being very small, they do have a physiological effect.
Yes, I can appreciate that. I imagine your figures of 2µA and 0.2µA are probably quite significant relative to the signalling currents normally operating within our bodies.

As well as mains hum, there must also be electrostatic charging effects just from moving around, even in more natural environments. If permanently earthed then the small charge/discharge effects (and resulting small currents) go unnoticed, but they must nonetheless occur.

Hip

It seems as though micro current therapy may be just as effective (maybe more so) than earthing.

Yes, that is what I was thinking, since earthing may in effect just be a form of microcurrent therapy.

Compared to earthing, with microcurrent therapy device, there may be some advantages, as you will have better control over the current strength and pulse rate (frequency), as these are usually adjustable.

In this article on frequency specific microcurrent therapy, they say that frequencies of 10 Hz, 40 Hz and 116 Hz had specific effects for pain reduction and inflammation. So adjusting the current and frequency may allow you to get better results.

Microcurrent therapy devices start for as little as around £25 for the very basic Painmaster device, to £45 for the MT-330 MENS Microcurrent Machine, to around £550 and more for the expensive Alpha-Stim device.

Though I guess earthing during sleep is going to be more convenient, as you don't have to worry about applying the microcurrent therapy every day, via the skin electrode pads; with an earthing sheet, earthing is automatic while you sleep.

Although perhaps if you bought two half-sized earthing bedsheets, and placed one towards the top of the bed, and the other towards the bottom of the bed, with a good separation of a few feet between them so that they are not touching, then you could connect a microcurrent therapy device across these two sheets (rather than connecting the sheets to the earth), and give yourself microcurrent therapy while you sleep.

This study found that microcurrent therapy increased ATP production by up to 500%.

In this thread on earthing, someone wrote:
One weird thing I noticed: For a long time I have used the Alpha-Stim once or twice a week.

I used it once this past week and felt just wiped out the next day. For some reason, maybe the combination of earthing and the Alpha-Stim is too much for me.

No problem, though. I mainly used the Alpha-Stim to give my sleep a boost, but I don't really need that now since I'm sleeping grounded.

So they found that sleeping grounded had the similar sleep-improving effects to microcurrent therapy from the Alpha-Stim. This suggests that these two therapies are very similar.

(If you keep reading that thread, you see that later they report the initial benefits of earthing disappeared, and they had to take a break from earthing for a while in order to regain the benefits. So again we see what some people report with earthing: its initial benefits sometimes disappear, and your sleep quality and symptoms may even become worse than normal while you are sleeping earthed. But if you take a break from earthing, you may regain the positive effects.)

Earthed yesterday in my backyard for the first time, feel so wiped out lol. That study that stated it depletes magnesium and Sodium is completely correct. I've had to up both; and I am always conscious of those levels becuase of AF.
So it's not just the grounding products that can be 'detrimental'. Very curious about how to fix this effect, but I don't have the time for set backs and trial/error right now. No more earthing for me

Basilico

Florida
I bought an earthing mat years ago, husband and I used it for quite a while. We did not see any benefits.

Additionally, for many years, every summer I'd spend at least 1 month in a remote location at property my family owned, and I'd spend the majority of days barefoot walking in grass (ultimate earthing). No benefit, and one year my health actually noticeably decreased while doing this.

I think like many things, this is something that on paper seems amazing, but in practice produces little to no actual positive results except for very few people. But then, for any kind of condition, there are always people who are cured by doing the weirdest things that don't work for most others.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I measured AC current flows from my body to earth, and these were 0.2 μA when in my bedroom (capacitive coupling), which went up to 1.0 μA when I moved right next to a power adaptor plug (inductive coupling).

Very interesting theory!
Do you think that simply turning off the fuse of your bedroom (and maybe also the room below the bedroom) at night, could alleviate this issue?

Hip

Do you think that simply turning off the fuse of your bedroom (and maybe also the room below the bedroom) at night, could alleviate this issue?

I am not really sure if simply removing the fuses for one room would be enough.

But I think I suggested earlier in this thread that the current induced by the mains power in the body and running down earth connection may be the reason earthing provides therapeutic effects.

To test this, someone who benefits from earthing could turn off all the power to their home, and if they then lose the benefits, it would demonstrate that the mains power provided the benefit.

Wayne

I've tried numerous things over the years to help protect myself from EMFs, and thought I'd gotten to the point where I had done about as much as I could, and still be able to use things like my laptop, TV, etc. However, my wife ordered a device called the "Home-Chi", which we received about 6 weeks ago. It's supposed to create a "Toris Field", and I was absolutely astounded at how much of an immediately noticeable difference it made.

Unfortunately, it got destroyed in the S. Oregon fires three weeks ago, and I was without it for about a week. We then received in the mail a "Me-Chi" device, which is smaller than the "Home-Chi" device. But it worked just as well (within minutes) if I kept it within 3-5' of my body at all times. I could say much more, but have limited time and energy for posting on PR because of the avalanche of things we need to do since the fire.

I think the experience and information I've gotten regarding this EMF protection is too important to not take the time to share however. It works really well for me, and much better than earthing, grounding pads, turning off the circuits to our bedroom, etc. have ever done. Unfortunately, these devices are expensive: $600 for the Me-Chi, and $3,600 or so for the Home-Chi. -- Here's a LINK to the website that sells these devices (which are made in Germany). Below is a segment from the Home-Chi page... @Mary

1. Generation of Vital Energy
Qi Home Cell generates its own electricity and produces a protective area, which it fills electrons within 24 hours. These electrons neutralize free radicals and put a protective layer of electrons on your body. When the radiation from cellular, Wi-Fi, and other EFM sources come in contact with your body, the electrons on your body provide a reaction point instead of the radiation going inside your body to react with cell membranes. Qi Home Cell users report better sleep and reduced feelings of stress while in the home or at work, as well as increased energy, stamina, and focus.​

MonkeyMan

I've tried numerous things over the years to help protect myself from EMFs, and thought I'd gotten to the point where I had done about as much as I could, and still be able to use things like my laptop, TV, etc. However, my wife ordered a device called the "Home-Chi", which we received about 6 weeks ago. It's supposed to create a "Toris Field", and I was absolutely astounded at how much of an immediately noticeable difference it made.
Hi @Wayne - this is remarkable. Can you be more specific as to what you noticed/experienced?

Hip

Hi @Wayne - this is remarkable. Can you be more specific as to what you noticed/experienced?

You might like to see the description of the Qi Home Cell product, as provided by its creator Hagen Thiers in this video:

According to the video, the device simply consists of a set of small bottles of "special water" arranged in a circle within the wooden housing. They claim this "special water" somehow protects against EMFs, which sounds rather implausible. The device uses no power, it just contains bottles of "special water". No details about this special water are given. And they charge $600 to $6500 for these devices, depending on the model (other models include "Qi-Mobile" and "Qi-Max". For a wooden box containing bottles of special water.

The "science" detailed in the video is incorrect. For example, Hagen Thiers talks about electromagnetic radiation having a positive charge. That's wrong, as electromagnetic radiation consists of photons, which have no charge.

Wayne

Hi @MonkeyMan -- I'm considering starting a private thread on my experiences. I'll keep you posted if that happens. I really only want to discuss this with those who have a sincere interest in what my experiences have been--I have absolute NO financial incentives to hype my experiences. I also have no interest in engaging in any kind of ongoing petty discussion as to whether or not the technology is based on science.

Hi @MonkeyMan -- I'm considering starting a private thread on my experiences. I'll keep you posted if that happens. I really only want to discuss this with those who have a sincere interest in what my experiences have been--I have absolute NO financial incentives to hype my experiences. I also have no interest in engaging in any kind of ongoing petty discussion as to whether or not the technology is based on science.

Hi Wayne, I have a sincere interest in you experience (not in debunking the science behind it). I was wondering whether you still continue to receive the benefits of this device, and whether you did start a private thread on your experience. Many thanks! S