As I understand it, the way the main power in the wires in around your house create an electrical voltage in your body is mainly through capacitive coupling (meaning your body and the mains electric wires around your home automatically create what is known as a capacitor, which is an electrical system can transit an alternating electric voltage and current across a distance though the air; see this study).
So you're saying the wiring in your house can also give off an electrical current into the air? It would be interesting to see a study on people who have lived off the grid. I knew a lady who didn't have any electricity who lived to be 97. She'd fire up her generator a few hours at night. Had a propane refrigerator.