• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I have developed an arythmia

vision blue

@xebex i dont know much about it but thought it depended on site of “lesion”’- ie wheteher it leans towards lr away from side of damage
Having a y other vagal nerve damage symptoms? Swallowing, coughing things
Any change in uvula deviation since it started?

The deviation of the uvula to one side may imply two things, in the case of a lower motor lesion of the Vagus nerve on one side, the uvula deviates to the opposite side, but an upper motor lesion of the Vagus nerve on one side causes the uvula to deviate to the same side. ”

xebex

@xebex i dont know much about it but thought it depended on site of “lesion”’- ie wheteher it leans towards lr away from side of damage
Having a y other vagal nerve damage symptoms? Swallowing, coughing things
Any change in uvula deviation since it started?

The deviation of the uvula to one side may imply two things, in the case of a lower motor lesion of the Vagus nerve on one side, the uvula deviates to the opposite side, but an upper motor lesion of the Vagus nerve on one side causes the uvula to deviate to the same side. ”
Ah that’s makes sense but I really hope I don’t have a lesion not sure how TVNS could cause that so quickly.
I don’t really have any other VN symptoms it seems strange I’d have a Racing heart but no other symptoms. Sometimes when I feel I’ve over done things the left side of my neck and throat feels a bit tight. My gag reflex is fine. I did have a slightly slow swallow when this all started but that’s calmed down maybe a sign that other things will Calm down too? God I hope so I don’t know how much more stress I can handle!

vision blue

Yes it will get better! This may sound dumb but do warm compresses on neck or chest at least feel good?
Also try inducing alot of yawning and see if that makes it better, worse, or no difference

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl Ah, that's great the article was useful. its amazin gback then, the articles written had so much common sense. you can hear people reasononing out loud - making logical arguments. Now very few do that. journal articles have changed, there's downplaying of reasoning. And the articles tend to be pushing some drug or invasive technique.

I had the exact same thoughts when I read the article. It was so nice to just read pure medical info & facts without a political agenda from insurance or Pharma.

I made some progress- one of my docs was able to get past the gatekeepers who refused when i tried it and the cardio agreed to have a televisit or phone visit with me without my having to go in so i can discuss the questions i had on my EKGs

That is great news! :thumbsup:

there are also some good websites that list every possible cause of short prn but sounds like you may have gotten to bottom of yours

I'd love the info re: the websites when you have time (only if it's not too much trouble). That article 100% confirmed that I do NOT have Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome (which is what doctors told me) and that I have a Short PR interval for unknown reasons. But I'm still curious to learn more about it. I assume that a lot more info is known about it since that article was written in 1952 (although who knows)?!

The device that messed up my rhythm- i remembered - is called "Resperate". I'm so angry to even think of the name.

Wow! I have never heard of that device but have made a permanent mental note never to use one after your horrible experience w/it!

Stretched

Part of the reason I’m so sick at the moment is I have developed an arrhythmia on top of 150bmpm standing HR. I’ve been to ER twice and they can’t find anything (but have prescribed propanalolbut I keep trying to explain it only happens when I sleep. I haven’t slept for 2 weeks now because every time I fall the palpitations wake me up…

…I’m too sick to see doctors - I need someone to do the tests on me at home. The hospital for heart testing is an hour away. what to do? help!

I am a long term PWC and developed heart issues along the way, recently. I’m pretty well informed and tend to be a DIYer on health but errors can AND do creep in… .

A long story short - it really would be worth your effort to at least get another GP involved for a reference to a cardiologist, if not enduring the trip to get your heart health tested thoroughly. Your ticker is a strong muscle but it CAN be damaged If neglected. You really don’t want to risk letting
it wear down to a point of being liferisking. This suggestion notwithstanding, I found higher doses
of potassium and magnesium were helpful in lowering sporadic palpitations despite sleep problems.
propanolol or atenolol are easy to get and can ease anxiety, maybe lowering your arrhythmias.

In the end I got a pacemaker (last month). It’s no big deal but maybe you can avoid the hassle by getting a cardiologist on the team with your PCP. Suggestion: in addition to the basic ECG, etc. at least ask to wear a Holter Monitor to get underway.

Last edited:

Stretched

@Stretched what was the cause/diagnosisis that required a pacemaker? Love your avatar btw.

‘Thanks. My heartbeat got down to every 2 to 4 seconds. Cardiologist suggested pacemaker to limit the heartbeat LOW at 60 bpm But it does not limit upper end. I think? I feel somewhat better but candidly, i don’t even notice it.