• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I get really odd reactions to certain B vitamins and cofactors

LINE

Glycine is known to help with sleep. Also, 1 gram is a very large dose. Glycine can be very powerful so if someone is taking it for the first time, I strongly recommend you start with a low dose, maybe 100 mg.

The Sleep-Promoting and Hypothermic Effects of Glycine are Mediated by NMDA Receptors in the Suprachiasmatic Nucleus

That was me :rolleyes: When I first took glycine, I took at least 500 mg and maybe more and was hit with a severe detox reaction, got very spacey, tired, felt sick. Muscle testing showed that the glycine was good for me but to start with a much smaller dose. Glycine helps with Phase II liver detox. So I went to a very small dose and gradually over a period of 6 months titrated up slowly, till by the end of 6 months no detox reaction at all from the glycine, or anything else - prior to then I used to detox a lot. Without muscle testing I never would have been able to figure this out. I still take glyine at night for sleep with no bad reaction.
@Mary I just reread your comments - so the idea is start with a low dose and move up as not to cause a detox reaction. I think this is where I went wrong - I just ordered free form glycine and will start at 100mg as you suggest.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Calcium is also involved in reducing tight muscles. Hypocalcemia can cause tight muscles as well as cramps and spasms and also severe fatigue. Calcium is normally associated with muscle contractions but thats what calcium does intracellularly. In the blood it does the opposite, it reduces excessive sodium channel activity. So if your diet doesn't include much calcium, you may want to try normalizing your calcium intake.

This short article on the topic is really informative for anyone interested:

https://pittmedneuro.com/ions.html
I concur with this. I have gotten this extremely tight muscle thing for my whole life. I am not like most of you since I have taken a whole schmere of vitamins my whole life and never suspected them...something to consider. I have noticed that MOST of the time I can get rid of it with calcium-magnesium citrate (I take 1:1 ratio and I have never paid any attention to daily dose, but gone ahead and take 2x or 3x dose as needed).

I have found over the years a number of things that cause the tightness for me: MSG (Chinese restaurant syndrome - and CaMg does NOT fix and it is NOT consistent because it does NOT happen when I have enough estrogen, which blocks that), flea product use on my dogs/cats (again CaMg barely dents this but DHEA helps), and all the rest I put in a slush bucket attributed to: I have a broken ACE gene, so it's hyperTENSION fixed by CaMg, and I have a Vitamin D receptor defect, so I would lose Vitamin D and thus have to take more CaMg, until I started taking 5,000 units D a day). None of this I knew until I was 50. My whole goal in a life of nervous tension was to be more peaceful and I am a trillion times more peaceful than I was as a child after ordering my own blood tests and finding out what is going on with me.

I have a COMT +/+ gene but never noticed any sign of overmethylation when I take methylation supplements, although others have. I wonder if it's because I don't make enough stomach acid to digest full doses? I
recently failed a progesterone test due to only absorbing 25% of the pill dose.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I had my MTHFR C677T and A1298C genes tested years ago and according to that test they were normal functioning, I had hetero mutations in MTR and MTRR and homo in CBS and COMT. I've never had a problem with sulfur though, a low sulfur diet changed nothing for me so I don't think that's my issue. I've also always consistently had low B2 (riboflavin) levels and elevated in other B vitamins like B6 and B12. I have symptoms of B6 toxicity like neuropathy and visual snow. Any time I take a supplement with B6 in it (including P5P) these symptoms worsens badly.

I'm currently leaning towards my deficiency in B2 being the issue here, as you need B2 to be able to metabolize other B vitamins and get them into cells, otherwise they just float around in your body not being used, causing higher levels of them in the blood. At least, from what I currently understand about all this.
So, if you have toxins in your body that need excretion (we all do - witness homocysteine), you need magnesium with the P5P to do that...and your body may want to do that bad enough to rob Mg from other places, causing symptoms like maybe heart attack (Mg is an electrolyte)... so take CaMg citrate (citrate non-stone-forming) capsule form (more absorbable) if you want to try again. Be careful - it can be dangerous to pick and choose supplements without covering all the bases. I am from the play-it-safe-take-multi-vitamins generation.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Whenever I take a B-complex I get a headache, feels like the muscles in my head and other body parts really tighten up. My neurological symptoms flare up and I just get even more fatigued than usual. I'm drinking 1l of coconut water while taking it so I'm getting a lot of potassium.

Also when I tried taking 1g of Glycine I got really dizzy, room actually started spinning and I had to sleep it off.

I seem to do fine on certain B vitamins alone such as B2, I've been confirmed to have a B2 deficiency. B6 I'm unsure about, I have high levels of it in my blood but in my urine it's low, it might be because I'm not able to metabolize it properly due to my B2 deficiency. And B6 deficiency symptoms are identical to B6 toxicity from what I've read so it's hard for me to determine which is which.

Can anyone help me make sense of this?
They might directly and differenlty work on some nerves.

If indeed so, the question would be, which B in which dosage and which B after which B, or which B with which B together and with which B not together. Same with aminos then (both have been shown to enter the TCA cycle).

(I found B3 most important and then B5. B3 must be higher than B5, very small B9 =folate.)

Back