• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypersensitivity to noise while sleeping - any suggestions?

Wishful

Would you happen to have a list of such supplements? :)

Alas no. At least I haven't found any that had an effect on me. Minocycline is supposed to work for some people. LDN is supposed to reduce microglial activation, and it did block my neuropathic pain, but I think that was due to its endorphin-boosting effect. I'm pretty sure some herbs are claimed to reduce glial activation, but don't have solid clinical testing on humans. In-vitro testing of megadoses on fruit fly cells doesn't count. :rolleyes:

Maybe glial cell experts know of some immunosuppressants that do actually work.

I'm super sensitive to noise too and I've found Moldex Spark Plugs 7800s to be the best earplugs for blocking out noise. I've been wearing them for a good few years and I honestly can't remember the last time I heard anything at night. You can often buy them really cheaply in bulk on Amazon too.

Also, using the correct technique to insert earplugs is crucial as without that you'll still hear a lot of noise. Sorry if you know how to put them in properly already, I just thought I'd mention it as it took me a while before I realised there's a correct way to do it and that it should go really far down into your ear/ barely be visible on the outside. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/content/earplug.html.

Pyrrhus

Springbok1988

I ended up buying a subwoofer and speakers to use with the app called myNoise. there Are EQ settings in the app so I boost the bass and lower the treble a bit. The bass was key for me. I used to wake up from dogs barking (even distant ones), birds chirping, cars driving by, and my neighbor playing music. Now I don’t hear any of it nearly as often.