• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Noise cancelling headphones

Do noise cancelling headphones help?

• Total voters

valentinelynx

Not sure I understand what you're asking. I find noise canceling headphones helpful in noisy environments with a lot of constant background noise (in particular, airplanes). I find constant background noise annoying and tiring. Keep in mind that these headphones can only cancel out constant noise. Intermittent noises are not affected. So, they could be helpful with air-conditioning, motor noises like in cars and airplanes, traffic noise and maybe with things like leaf blowers and saws nearby.

Wishful

They add sound, but 180 degrees out of phase, so it reduces the sound level in your ear. In the ideal situation, you could be at a rock concert, yet the air in your ears wouldn't be vibrating at all. So no, it shouldn't add to sound information to process. I've never tried them, so I don't know how they work in real world conditions.

Centime Tara

I use them all the time, both to silence the noisy world and sometimes to listen to the sound of rain, the ocean, etc.—easy to find all kinds of soothing tapes on line.

Diwi9

Administrator
I have worn headphones when I sleep for the past 3+ years. I use them when I'm on the computer, because they help mute out interference. I also use them to speak on the phone because they have microphone on the cord. With this illness, I have developed sensory problems. It is difficult to listen with one ear with external noise in the other. I have a nice pair of Bose headphones and have replaced the earpads numerous times. The noise reduction of the headphones helps, but batteries run out fast. Still, if I'm going on a trip, I replace the batteries because the noise-cancelling provides a lot of relief.

Centime Tara

Bose now makes rechargeable wireless headphones. Expensive, but worth every penny. They charge via USB and last 20 hours at least.

I have both Bose over ear and in ear headsets. They are my lifesavers! Without them I can’t even go outside. I use them at home to because I have a boyfriend who is always singing/humming/whistling, and it’s driving me mad. I got my first pair 10 years ago and I think of them as any other aid to make my days as good as possible.

Diwi9

Administrator
Do they bother you when sleeping on your side? That is what has kept me from investing in a pair.
They are lower profile, with soft pads, and don't "squeeze." They still protrude, but this somehow doesn't bother me. Sometimes I sleep with a hand cupped around the headphone that is resting on my pillow. I actually have difficulty sleeping without them now.