• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to stop overmethylation from P5P?

I took ~25mg of active B6 (P5P) yesterday, which produced a very unpleasant overstimulating feeling that has not decreased at all in 24 hours.

I tried a couple doses of ~50mg niacin, but this only helped a bit and temporarily.

*For reference, I have had similar reactions from taking even tiny amounts of reduced glutathione and NAC.

Any suggestions of what to take to stop this? I find glycine by itself extremely stimulating, so I don't think taking that will help.

Thanks in advance.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Not sure if this would be helpful but the following website has a section on:

Rebalance Methylation with Methylation Adaptogens

An “adaptogen” is a plant-based compound that promotes the body’s natural balance within a biochemical pathway, bringing the body back into homeostasis. The term “methylation adaptogen” was first coined by Dr. Michael Stone in Oregon and describes any compound that helps to restore methylation balance, both promoting appropriate methylation and inhibiting aberrant methylation.

Examples of methylation adaptogens include curcumin, betanin, anthocyanins, quercetin, rosmarinic acid, lycopene, and sulforaphane. These phytonutrients are found in abundance in a nutrient-dense diet, but additional supplementation may be helpful in some patients.

https://kresserinstitute.com/treating-methylation-supplementing/

I have to be honest and tell you that I don't understand methylation very well at all. I hope someone else can give you better answers.

Shanti1

Administrator
I tried a couple doses of ~50mg niacin, but this only helped a bit and temporarily.

Can you tollerate the Niacin more frequently?
https://mthfrsupport.com.au/2020/07/neutralising-a-methyl-reaction-niacin-antidote-instructions/
"Supplement with 50mg of niacin every 1 -2 hours until all symptoms subside. For some people this is only a couple of hours. For others it may take a couple of days. If the reaction is very bad then you may want to take 2 tablets every hour. After meals is ideal but not essential as you may flush."

BrightCandle

Pectin intake (Apples, Carrots) seems to reduce the chance of flushing fairly dramatically so you can increase the dose if you eat some pectin before taking Niacin. The flushes are really uncomfortable and unpleasant and to be avoided.

Shanti1

Administrator
Pectin intake (Apples, Carrots) seems to reduce the chance of flushing fairly dramatically so you can increase the dose if you eat some pectin before taking Niacin.
I think the caution with this is that pectin, fiber, and also almonds reduce the chance of flushing because they bind to the niacin and inhibit its absorption, so they might decrease its effect on relieving over-methylation.

I agree, the flushes can be very uncomfortable, and may be tough on those who have dysoutonomia or hypotension (I know a niacin flush leaves me exhausted), so maybe slowing/inhibiting the absorption of niacin is preferred to having a flush.

Alternatively, you can try taking 1-3g of quercetin and/or a baby aspirin half hour before taking niacin.

Methyl90

Niacinamide probably more effective than Niacin or as suggested some adaptogens (I got along well with the antioxidant polyphenols of bitter cocoa).

Critterina

I took ~25mg of active B6 (P5P) yesterday, which produced a very unpleasant overstimulating feeling that has not decreased at all in 24 hours.

*For reference, I have had similar reactions from taking even tiny amounts of reduced glutathione and NAC.

Any suggestions of what to take to stop this? I find glycine by itself extremely stimulating, so I don't think taking that will help.

Thanks in advance.
Are you anxious or just overstimulated?

Thanks everyone for the replies! Since I wasn't having a big improvement with niacin, I took ~500mg taurine before bed and fell asleep fine, and the following day, the stimulation feeling went away.

Re: #7, the first time this happened when I took glutathione, I was definitely anxious because the result was so unexpected. But this time I didn't really have anxious thoughts, just unpleasant overstimulation.

acrosstheveil

i am in a similar boat. took p5p for a couple weeks and starting having overstimulation, chest pains, and symptoms of blood clotting. am taking riboflavin and b12 to help lower homocysteine and seems to help slowly.