• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Herbal treatment in Japan for cfs.

Booble

Has sadly never worked for me. I can no longer bear the financial burden of going through the Merck manual alphabetically. But more importantly I can no longer bear the raising and crushing of false hope. It's just too emotionally painful.

Oh, I hear you. I don't try any of these remedies myself anymore.
90% of the time they seem like they work for a few days or a few weeks at best and I don't want to risk having a bad reaction to one of the ingredients. I'm too chicken to try anything I haven't ingested previously.

I was saying, "THIS" to the part about trying with a small dose of any of these things first.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Japan doesn't even entertain the possibility of ME/CFS, there's no diagnostic test.

Chronic fatigue however, is a bane on our economic endowment. :D

Edit: It might be worth pointing out that as soon as ME/CFS is acknowledged, multiple authorities have a responsibility on their hands that they can currently completely fuck off and enjoy their comfortable salaries.

Lazy fucks. :_

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

The article below- which I have not read in its entirety, none the less captures how chinese tradiional medicine views Yin Deficiency, which I was diagnosed with. Its the overarching thing- with many other "features".

All that does not really capture- Tired. Its far more than fatigue or tired.

from my exposure, Chronic Fatigue isn't a traditional diagnosis in chinese traditional medicine. Thats us: describing it that way.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2020/8899079/

Chances are most westerners won't like how all this is described. Don't get too hung up on it. This is not using the original very old way the chinese describe things. So it seems to describe a lot of psychological components. Which are never described like that, in original texts. from what I can tell.

Its amazing that the chinese figured all this out. And how well it all works as a system. (hence the Japanese borrowed some of that)

so thats the thing- its a system. You never take one herb. THere are numerous routes to reach- a goal. Bodies vary.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

It is sometimes called "Chronic Fatigue Disorder" by oriental TCM Doctors.

I'm currently being treated by a TCM practitioner. They are excellent at identifying that something is seriously wrong and understanding the direction treatment needs to take. I cook my medicine every morning while preparing coffee, for 11 years now.

What I was referring to was the refusal in Japan to deal with an issue that can't be readily catalogued, and of course, the insistence that this illness is nothing more than generalized fatigue. :cautious:

I couldn't accuse my Doctor of that ignorance though.

andyguitar

And what diagnostic criteria do they use?

Yes, I'm being a bit snarky, but I'm also genuinely curious.
Just to clarify...The term Chronic Fatigue Disorder is not found in TCM, it's sometimes used in modern practice instead of cfs. There is no cfs in the long history of TCM but there are syndromes that are similar. And it is the diagnosis of what syndrome a patient has that determines the treatment offered. So if a westerner went to see a TCM Doc saying "I have cfs" they are not going to prescribe a standard herbal formular for cfs. There is'nt one. So you could compare it to what we describe as "Sub-groups". And within those sub-groups some benefit from a treatment others dont.

Rufous McKinney

What I was referring to was the refusal in Japan to deal with an issue that can't be readily catalogued, and of course, the insistence that this illness is nothing more than generalized fatigue. :cautious:

I"ve found the Japanese research and attitude fascinating, if nothing else. Viral onset seems not necessary there. Which suggests they have a different, likely more mixed, patient pool.

Since I deal with considerable cognitive, I find executive function an intriguing version of- get tired. Try to drown a rat- far less so.

There is no cfs in the long history of TCM but there are syndromes that are similar. And it is the diagnosis of what syndrome a patient has that determines the treatment offered

Yes generally I agree. thats some 20th century term for something.

Its much more likely at least one large group of us end up diagnosed: Yin deficiency. With individual nuance.

Rufous McKinney

I cook my medicine every morning while preparing coffee, for 11 years now.

I did that for at least 8 years. I'd talk to the herbs, handle them, smell them, delightful. Please heal me.

I just- got extra tired at some point and succombed to: the convenience of granular tea. Its more expensive, it is just about as good. I was doing some traveling, it was easier. I got lazier.

(I have to never admit to that cup of coffee, that I like to have first, if I can handle it, on good days its OK..that little lift).