• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart beat feeling like it is pounding very hard...feeling and hearing each beat

My heart rate is also 55-65, I can still do exercise if I want to, the pounding heart really is my biggest symptom though. How did this start for everyone?

Don't think I was edgy, definitely didn't rage much.

I am in a similar boat as far as heart pounding. These days my heart rate is mostly in normal ranges however the heart pounding is always present to some degree and gets significantly worse depending on stuff that aggravates my symptoms. However when I was at my worst I had both excessive heart rate and pounding.

@pattismith Would your sensory neuropathy idea account for worsening heart pounding with things that generally aggravate POTS (too hot, exertion, post meal, etc)?

Okay then, so it might not be related to being edgy in the past, this night i couldn't have fall asleep until like 5-6am, i was active almost whole day so i was very tired in the evening so instead of falling asleep instantly i wasn't able to sleep at that time, my heart was beating faster and harder due to being tired i am 100% sure. So my theory is that sleep quality might be the key that leads to palpitations, do you think your sleep can be better?

sb4

@goxus My sleep isn't great and I do feel overal better with better sleep however I think that is secondary to whatever is causing the heart pounding. I think its something like stealth pathogen > body failing to fight it properly > autonomic dysfunction.

@goxus My sleep isn't great and I do feel overal better with better sleep however I think that is secondary to whatever is causing the heart pounding. I think its something like stealth pathogen > body failing to fight it properly > autonomic dysfunction.

What if you try to exercise? Do you get exhausted quickly? My palps are constant 24/7 they are so boring, tell me how is your concentration and memory, mine is so poor!

sb4

What if you try to exercise? Do you get exhausted quickly? My palps are constant 24/7 they are so boring, tell me how is your concentration and memory, mine is so poor!
My concentration and memory are ok, palps also 24/7. I get lactic acid build up quick during exertion and heart pounding increases significantly.

My concentration and memory are ok, palps also 24/7. I get lactic acid build up quick during exertion and heart pounding increases significantly.

Have you tried experimenting with variety of supplements? I mean also if you exercise regularly you should get much less lactic acid build up AFAIK.

sb4

Have you tried experimenting with variety of supplements? I mean also if you exercise regularly you should get much less lactic acid build up AFAIK.
Tried tons of supps and meds and other treatments over 10 years. Biggest help has been lowering carbs.

It's not a deconditioning thing either. 10years ago I was doing kickboxing/mma before I got ill, and continued doing so for half a year after I got ill until I had to stop because I couldn't keep up anymore. One of the reasons for this was quick lactic acid build up, and of course the heart symptoms. I was in good shape back then and still experienced this quick lactic acid build up from minimal activity.

In this case, it may be a sensory neuropathy (note that I am not a doc!)

Are you sure? Cause check symptoms from here
  • Numbness
  • Reduced ability to sense pain or extreme temperatures
  • Tingling feeling
  • Unexplained burning sensations
  • Sharp stabbing pains – which may be noticeable at night

And i forgot to mention that i am now ill for more than 2 weeks as of now... i felt better but it has returned again with a temperature and pain in the whole body, i think i caght covid19 judging by the symptoms, so the big issue now is heart pounding that is even more noticable...

@goxus this sounds similar to when I first became ill. I do not have fatigue but a few month into my strange symptoms (including strong heart beat) i became very ill with glandular fever (epstein-barr virus). I know it was this because my doctor tested me for the virus

My decades of 24/7 palpitations went away after eliminating food coloring And treating for MCAS. I never knew it was an allergic reaction. Food for thought at least, might not be chemical based for you.

How did you determine that? Wish i can find out the cause behind this. You mean eating colored food?

Strawberry

After I started treating MCAS my palpitations slowed down drastically, and would flare up heavily when eating something like M&Ms. Now that I continue MCAS treatments and eliminated food coloring, I rarely get palpitations. Gingergrrl had severe anaphylaxis around that same time to coloring, so that might have helped clue me in.

For the reference, structural CFS causes it too (which I do have the neck and tethered cord issues), but just treating my MCAS almost 100% stopped palpitations. Pounding heartbeat that shakes the bed still continues though. Yeah, I cause my own mini earthquakes. :rofl:

I have been experimenting with the Wim Hof Method the past few days which has improved my symptoms more than supplements ever have. It is not a complete cure but seems to be having a positive effect on my circulation and there are some very reputable studies which confirm it has a positive effect on the immune system.
This vice documentary explains a bit about the method
This is a guided exercise which helps my symptoms and mood
Taking a cold shower in the morning definitely helps me through the rest of the day.
Like I said, not a cure but the most relief I’ve had without taking propranolol

I've heard of wim hof, he is crazy 🙂🙂 that certainly might be beneficial but i am kinda very sensitive to cold so i never tried this...

Those of you who have had this for a long time - has this ever led to complications that you know of? My paranoia tells me that this will damage my arteries and cause plaque to build up

Those of you who have had this for a long time - has this ever led to complications that you know of? My paranoia tells me that this will damage my arteries and cause plaque to build up

Nah i don't think it will damage anything, it's just the feeling, i thought that too, but recently my pounding has decreased for some reason, i think it also has something to do with the past infections, bacterias and similar not sure, i've been taking more vitamins than ever tho.

Can’t read all 13 pages, but for me it correlated a lot with histamine. What helped me: H2 antihistamines + a very low Histamine / tyrosine / mast cell triggering diet (quite individual, but watch out for Antinutrients/phytotoxins) + going easy on other histaminergic things like getting too much heat etc.

I know this artery damage-like feeling. When I ditched most plant foods and took care on methylation/homocysteine-dysbalance with betaine HCL it nearly vanished.

Can’t read all 13 pages, but for me it correlated a lot with histamine. What helped me: H2 antihistamines + a very low Histamine / tyrosine / mast cell triggering diet (quite individual, but watch out for Antinutrients/phytotoxins) + going easy on other histaminergic things like getting too much heat etc.
Them you, I’m planning on going carnivore in January so fingers crossed i get similar results to yourself. Have you found any plant foods which you can tolerate?