• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart beat feeling like it is pounding very hard...feeling and hearing each beat

sb4

@goxus I also get pounding increase wenether I eat anything, even when I drink water, however it is very significantly worse after carbs. Perhaps you should eat a low carb meal for breakfast and a high carb meal for dinner to see if this is the case for you. If so eating low carb should help control this symptom somewhat.

Not so sure about the stomach being out of position. I just think it is the increased blood flow after eating that is the main contributer.

@goxus I also get pounding increase wenether I eat anything, even when I drink water, however it is very significantly worse after carbs. Perhaps you should eat a low carb meal for breakfast and a high carb meal for dinner to see if this is the case for you. If so eating low carb should help control this symptom somewhat.

Not so sure about the stomach being out of position. I just think it is the increased blood flow after eating that is the main contributer.

Sure... its not always that i get pounding after eating but 90% yes. Have you ever checked your stomach tho? Ultrasound or similar? Do you have trouble falling asleep ? I have so many symptoms that i could talk about day and night. Now my head tinitus has increased it is very annoying. Lol 😭😀

sb4

@goxus I have had endoscopy and ultra sound on stomach which found nothing. I thing also had radation meal with xray which found gastroparesis. I assume if my stomach was out of position it would have shown up on one of these tests.

I have trouble with sleep although not as bad as it was. I keep good circadian rythm by getting natural light and avoiding blue at night which means generally falling asleep isn't the issue, staying asleep is.

@goxus I have had endoscopy and ultra sound on stomach which found nothing. I thing also had radation meal with xray which found gastroparesis. I assume if my stomach was out of position it would have shown up on one of these tests.

I have trouble with sleep although not as bad as it was. I keep good circadian rythm by getting natural light and avoiding blue at night which means generally falling asleep isn't the issue, staying asleep is.

I dont know what to do, i am desparate really, today i feel very hard heart beating its unbearable, im going to cardiologist soon. Cant stand this anymore

sb4

@goxus When I was at my worst, the heart pounding was unbearable also, I also had full on heart attack symptoms on 3 seperate occasions. I was sure my heart was recieving long term damage and I was in high levels of discomfort daily. Life was miserable.

Thankfully the extreme situation only lasted a couple of months. Then I was at a high level for another 6 months, very desperate. I spent a month in hospital where the doctors where absolutely useless, saying it was in my head, or implying I was just there to get drugs. I say this as the cardiologist maybe useless unless you go for a pots angle. What didn't help my case was that my heart tests where all done laying down, and they all came up more or less normal despite the very heavy pounding. I don't think standard heart tests measure for this and the doctors usually say the heart pounding is because you are focusing on it too much. I think this is BS of the highest degree.

Try to get tests done standing if your heart rate elevates on standing. If it doesn't elevate yet you still recieve heavy pounding then you may be out of luck.

Things that I am fairly sure helped me are, being cold (for vasoconstriction). Mirtazapine (vasoconstriction). Lowering carbs (thiamine also may help here).

You may well have a differen't version of POTS than me so that stuff may or may not help. You could be hyperadrenergic (?). Have you had tilt table test? Have you tried a high carb meal vs a zero carb meal? Have you tried allithiamine, sublingual thiamine?

I doubt that we have such tests here in my country, my memory and concentratiom is so patheticly weak i had to quit job because my eyes were hurting and head too as i had to stare at the monitor for the whole shift, i am now anxious to start a new job i barely function, sometimes i have "good days" but then it just collapses quickly and then i get all those symptoms over and over and im just circling arpund wasting time and energy i dont know what to do anymore, i think it all comes down to my poor sleep quality, i never even feel sleepy i actually felt sleepy only twice this week and that happened during the day when there was too much noise and so in both occasions i couldnt fall asleep. But when its night i dont feel sleepy at all just tired as hell, iforgot to add that i was working in 3 shifts before all this started, so i think that it also contributed a lot to my situation. I basically never feel fresh nor my mind is sharp for a very very long time.

pattismith

@goxus wht is your heart rate? Do you feel skip beats?

I had both Graves disease and Small fiber neuropathy flare at the same time, my heart pounding was awful.

I have low CD8 T lymphocyte, which is associated to some auto-immune diseases like Graves, did you get thyroid panel? Auto-immune panel?

@goxus . I spent a month in hospital where the doctors where absolutely useless, saying it was in my head, or implying I was just there to get drugs. I say this as the cardiologist maybe useless unless you go for a pots angle. What didn't help my case was that my heart tests where all done laying down, and they all came up more or less normal despite the very heavy pounding.
I don't think standard heart tests measure for this and the doctors usually say the heart pounding is because you are focusing on it too much. I think this is BS of the highest degree.

That's true, What doctors fail to understand is that the problem is not too much focus, it's often too much sensitivity, which is most of the time linked to hyperexcitability of small nervous fibers (both sensory and autonomic).

Last edited:
@goxus wht is your heart rate? Do you feel skip beats?

I had both Graves disease and Small fiber neuropathy flaire at the same time, my heart pounding was awful.

I have low CD8 T lymphocyte, which is associated to some auto-immune diseases like Graves, did you get thyroid panel? Auto-immune panel?

That's true, What doctors fail to understand is that the problem is not too much focus, it's often too much sensitivity, which is most of the time linked to hyperexcitability of small nervous fibers (both sensory and autonomic).

Ive tested my thyroid and results were good. I am yet to go to cardiologist tho, i have heart arythmias from time to time... i dont know what to do to fix these horrible sensations. I am very desperate. Cheers

pattismith

Ive tested my thyroid and results were good. I am yet to go to cardiologist tho, i have heart arythmias from time to time... i dont know what to do to fix these horrible sensations. I am very desperate. Cheers
Do you have high heart rate?
your cardiologist may give you some medication to slow it down so you will feel better.
In the best world you will have some cardiovascular autonomic testing

sb4

@pattismith good point about the increased sensitivity, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. I am still leaning to the idea that the heart is pumping harder. It makes sense that is both pumps faster and harder if it is strugling to move blood. Also, when at its worse my body visibly pulsates, and I have had a doctor comment that I have a strong pulse when taking my heart rate via touching the wrist.

pattismith

@pattismith good point about the increased sensitivity, I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. I am still leaning to the idea that the heart is pumping harder. It makes sense that is both pumps faster and harder if it is strugling to move blood. Also, when at its worse my body visibly pulsates, and I have had a doctor comment that I have a strong pulse when taking my heart rate via touching the wrist.
Maybe for you it's just what you said.... In my case tachycardia at rest was under 100 pulse/mn and the endocrinologist was not concerned about it, considering it was not a big deal....But the feeling I had was much bigger than the one I should have had because of Small fiber Neuropathy associated allodynia.

Allodynia is the experience of pain from stimuli that isn't normally painful. It's a known cutaneous sensory trouble. Small Fiber Neuropathy can raise any sensory symptom other than cutaneous, whatever the targeted organ. ( for me any organ, from muscles, tendons to heart or kidneys)

Do you happen to be an edgy guy? I've used to be so edgy and was raging more frequently so i might assume as well that it also contributed to that but i am not sure.

@pattismith no mate, my pulse always at 55-65 very rarely goes elevated at 90 or so.... but it is just strong and forceful that is what is disturbing me, i can feel each beat 24/7 it is ruining my every day life.

pattismith

@pattismith no mate, my pulse always at 55-65 very rarely goes elevated at 90 or so.... but it is just strong and forceful that is what is disturbing me, i can feel each beat 24/7 it is ruining my every day life.

In this case, it may be a sensory neuropathy (note that I am not a doc!)

Do you happen to be an edgy guy? I've used to be so edgy and was raging more frequently so i might assume as well that it also contributed to that but i am not sure.

Edgy in what way Goxus?

I was partying quite regularly before I got ill

sb4

Don't think I was edgy, definitely didn't rage much.

I am in a similar boat as far as heart pounding. These days my heart rate is mostly in normal ranges however the heart pounding is always present to some degree and gets significantly worse depending on stuff that aggravates my symptoms. However when I was at my worst I had both excessive heart rate and pounding.

@pattismith Would your sensory neuropathy idea account for worsening heart pounding with things that generally aggravate POTS (too hot, exertion, post meal, etc)?