• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart Attack from CFS Treatment

Andrew

Andrew, what kind of thyroid are you taking???
Hi Kathi. I didn't see your message to me earlier. I wish online forum software would alert us when someone replies to us.

Thanks for writing to me. I'm taking Armour thyroid. The web site says it contains T3 and T4. I'm going to have a talk with my doctor about this, including telling him more about Teitlebaum.

BTW, have you thought of contacting a personal injury attorney. You can simply talk to him. You don't have to pay for a consultation, and you can consult with more than one.

muffin

Again, SO NOT A FAN OF Teitelbaum. I think he is downright dangerous to the sick and pushes them further into decline and near death. Stimulants of any sort do not work on a body that has no energy and has severe Mitochondria damage. Why he pushes this stuff on people is beyond me. Many doctors who treat CFIDS people (or rather the ones I have been to) make faces when you say his name as they too are not thrilled with his protocol. Thyroid medications can be dangerous (as you now have to deal with) and should NOT be given unless the results come back showing you really do need them. I know that our tests come back as "high normal" or "low normal" so that is a bit of a problem given that these tests are a "one size fits all" which is not a good thing for US sick when we really do need something more tailored to our funky bodies. And who knows what is really correct or incorrect for us before and after illness onset? I was so hyper before I got CFIDS that that state may well have been abnormal and now with CFIDS I figure my state has gone the opposite way - OR, my state has not changed but rather the way my now sick body handles the thyroid (T3/T4,etc) may be quite different. I don't seem to have any adrenaline at all but my doctor says I do but my body is handling it very different now. So, where before I would jump from a startle and my heart would pound out of my chest for a good 1/2 hour, I have just a tiny burp of adrenaline and no racing/pounding heart at all - even before a car accident or other heavy event that would have cause me a near heart attack pre-illness.

Also, I too agree that an attorney might be brought into your case. Teitelbaum doesn't use the standard protocols so you may get him on that. Plus, the damage to your heart that was caused by his treatments. Might work.
Did I say I so don't like that man? Just out to make money off us desperate sick people - my opinion.

Kathi

The one thing you all must understand about lawyers and contingency cases, they only want ones that are easy and cut and dry. Do you think that CFS falls into that area, of course not. Lawyers use standard of care to judge whether a doctor violated the patient. Since there is no standard of care in CFS, it makes things much more difficult. Since I am 55, they don't have a chance of making as much money from my case as they would a younger person. It really comes down to how much money would they make off of me. My age will bring them less money because my career was nearly over. Medical malpractice cases are only 40% successful and they don't want to put themselves out there as much when there are questionable outcomes. Oh yes, I can pay a lawyer $300.00 per hour or more to handle the case, but I don't have the money to put into the case. We are not all financially well off to pay lawyers, in addition to going to a CFS doctor. I have medical bills to pay and I could be throwing good money after bad, as they say.I am looking at a stem cell transplant because of my heart, not only because of CFS. They have had excellent results in bringing up the EF with a stem cell transplant. It's basically that my age will not make lawyers as much money and CFS is such a misunderstood area of medicine for contingency lawyers. Yes, I have a case and the lawyer I talked to says I was wronged and he knows Dr. Pierotti to be a very bad doctor, but I will not make them as much money as a younger client. I have been royally jagged on all fronts. I wish I would have been rich enough to fight this case and pursue medical treatment, but I am not.

Andrew

The one thing you all must understand about lawyers and contingency cases, they only want ones that are easy and cut and dry. Do you think that CFS falls into that area, of course not.
IMO, the issue is not CFS. The issue is incorrect use of thyroid medication.

Since I am 55, they don't have a chance of making as much money from my case as they would a younger person.
Not really. I knew a lawyer who took cases just to help people. Sometimes he made a lot of money, other times not. He told me it's all part of doing business.

Oh yes, I can pay a lawyer $300.00 per hour or more to handle the case, but I don't have the money to put into the case. We are not all financially well off to pay lawyers, in addition to going to a CFS doctor.
I'm already with you on this. I would not suggest paying.

The only reason I suggested this is so you could have more money to get health care. But, ultimately it is up to you. Maybe you don't want the stress of doing this.

Hysterical Woman

Kathi/Contingency Lawyers

Hi Kathi,

I understand completely about the contingency lawyer thing, I had a really hard time with that. All the points you make are accurate, but I was finally able to find a lawyer in Philadelphia who took the case for me (but mine was a case of disability insurance company not wanting to pay), and we were successful. I was 54 at the time. If you would like his name and phone number, please send me a private message, but of course, there are no guarantees.

Please take care of yourself thru this extremely difficult time and let us know how you are doing when you can.

Take care,

Maxine

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Kathi--

I know it may be hard to believe, but there are SOME really nice human lawyers out there. :Retro wink::Retro smile::Retro smile:

I hope you look into this more, before you give up entirely on the idea. I'm glad that Maxine has a referral for you to consider.
Thanks Maxine.

Kathi

Not really. I knew a lawyer who took cases just to help people. Sometimes he made a lot of money, other times not. He told me it's all part of doing business.

Aren't you fortunate!!! That must have been one good lawyer. I haven't met up with any of them in this part of the country. Just because you found an exception, it doesn't mean that is the rule in the attorney world. The one I talked to worked on the Exon Valdex case. He said it took 21 years to handle that case and the ship captain was drunk. He said it wasn't that he wasn't guilty, it was the coporations had so much money they took it up to the supreme court before they finally lost. There were 600 deaths before it was all over and the people got 1/10th of the money they should have received. Are you hearing what I am saying? Perhaps I looked in all the wrong places because this one told me how the real world is.

As you may or may not remember, I had my PCP work with Dr Teitelbaum by email BEFORE and AFTER I went to the F&F Center. I only thought it was the inexperienced Dr.
Pierotti that didn't know what to do. After all Dr. Teitelbaum was on Dr. Oz and he said he had a high success rate . Since I enlisted Dr. Teitelbaum's help ( because I never knew of any other CFS doctor) they also said I participated in the event. Excuse me, I didn't know what else to do. I had my PCP work with Dr. Teitelbaum so I could continue working or go back to work. Now I am the guilty party too???? The attorney told me that it makes my case more difficult, as I would have to implicate my PCP. I have already told you that I was not going to do that. I enlisted my PCP to work with Dr. Teitelbaum. Now I am guilty for doing that. I never knew anything else to do. Oh yes, Dr. Pierotti is guilty, but what would I have to go through because I only wanted to get better and was at a loss how to do wo other than Dr. Teitelbaum. It isn't about justice my friends, it's all about other things.
If you are foolish enough to believe it is about justice, then walk in my shoes.

Kathi

BTW, Dr. Cheney, who adamantly says Dr. Pierotti caused my heart attack with improper use of medication and still stands by this statement , spoke with this attorney. They agreed together that it would be too stressful on my illness to continue with the law suit. I would have to implicate my PCP and that would torture me. The law suit would cause so much stress seeking justice...............Do you think you could go through a case like that feeling the way you do???Implicating someone who only tried to help you with a so called expert???? Trusting the infamous Dr. Teitelbaum only to learn he didn't have the answers. Oh Dr. Teitelbaum wouldn't have given the medication in the manner that Dr. Pierotti did, but what does that matter??? Dr. Pierotti's medication madness nearly killed me , but it isn't about that. Dr. Cheney told me that the law isn't about right or wrong when I first saw him, I now see that is so true. I am older and that plays a big factor in things because they won't make as much money on me. They determine how much you made, how many years you had to work, and how much it will cost to fight the case. Trust me, this case would take loads of money to fight. The F&F Corporation would fight to the hilt. So the attorney and myself would possibly not have enough money in the end. Oh it absolutely infuriates me that this man will walk. He is now doing anti-aging medicine in Pittsburgh with no board certification. The set up is similar to the F&F Centers and is out of Minnesota. It would have been much beter if I had died. The law suit would have been easier. I did months and months of reserach to prove Dr. Pierotti nearly killed me, but that doesn't matter. I have all the research, but it isn't about that. Trust me. Dr. Cheney was right. It isn't about justice and who is right or wrong.

Andrew

It isn't about justice my friends, it's all about other things. If you are foolish enough to believe it is about justice, then walk in my shoes..
I'm sorry if my suggestion is aggravating an already horrible experience. You have been through a lot, and I don't want to make it worse. I withdraw my suggestion.

Lily

*Believe*
Oh yes, Dr. Pierotti is guilty, but what would I have to go through because I only wanted to get better and was at a loss how to do wo other than Dr. Teitelbaum. It isn't about justice my friends, it's all about other things.
If you are foolish enough to believe it is about justice, then walk in my shoes.

Kathi, I can certainly understand why you do not want to deal with a law suit. I was surprised to see the percentage of suits won against doctors is 40%. I would have guessed much lower than that.

I know your goal now is to protect others. You may have already taken this action, I may have missed it or don't remember.......but it's a good idea to report this, in all it's detailed glory to your State Board of Medical Examiners (BOMEX). Granted they can be slow to act, and don't always take much action, but they do have to investigate the complaint. And whatever action they do take is listed on their public website for anyone to see who takes the time to investigate a doctor they are seeing or are about to see. (Most Boards work this way anyway). From what I remember Dr. Perotti has already had actions against him in Ohio and in another instance he was fined. This would be one more strike against him - and of course it's possible the Board would take strong action. Physicians are notorious for not policing themselves, but they do take action. Having this information on file with the appropriate medical board can have an effect on his licensing or his ability to be hired by another organization such as the F & F Centers. It would not reflect negatively on your personal physician.

Best of luck in your health and quest to help others.

Kathi

but it's a good idea to report this, in all it's detailed glory to your State Board of Medical Examiners (BOMEX). Granted they can be slow to act, and don't always take much action, but they do have to investigate the complaint. And whatever action they do take is listed on their public

When this incident happened, I requested the papers from the PA Licensing Board, but did not follow through. I recently sent them in the mail on Friday to the Pennsylvania Licensing Bureau, to at least put a note on his record at the very minimum. Someone has to understand that this man has issues and there seems to be a pattern in his behaviors. Is the State Board of Medical Examiners the same or different than the Licensing Board?????

Lily

*Believe*
but it's a good idea to report this, in all it's detailed glory to your State Board of Medical Examiners (BOMEX). Granted they can be slow to act, and don't always take much action, but they do have to investigate the complaint. And whatever action they do take is listed on their public

Is the State Board of Medical Examiners the same or different than the Licensing Board?????

I will see if I can find this out for you - it may be in Penn, but I tend to think not. In any event the Licensing Board should forward your info to the entity of the appropriate discipline, i.e. M.D., D.O., N.D., etc., that will investigate complaints about practitioners.

Lily

*Believe*
I will see if I can find this out for you - it may be in Penn, but I tend to think not. In any event the Licensing Board should forward your info to the entity of the appropriate discipline, i.e. M.D., D.O., N.D., etc., that will investigate complaints about practitioners.

Looks like it is the State Board of Medicine which must be the entity you are referring to, whose responsibility is also licensing. > http://www.dos.state.pa.us/bpoa/cwp/view.asp?a=1104&q=432799

"The Board also has authority take disciplinary or corrective action against individuals it regulates."

Go get 'em Kathi!! YOU GO GIRL!;)

Finch

Down With the Sickness
Hi Kathi

I think it's great that you've submitted this complaint. I hope you get a good response. I think this was a great idea and probably something more of us should do when we've been blatantly mistreated.

The other thing that bugs me is that Dr. Pierotti was under suspension when i was under his treatment, and I never knew it! Granted, the suspension was for one year and was for some reason made retroactive for all but one month, but why are patients not informed when their doctors are disciplined to include the reasons for the discipline?

BOARD OF MEDICINE
Allegheny County
Aldino L. Pierotti, license no. MD053983L of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, was
assessed a $10,000 civil penalty and was suspended for one year, 15 days
active and the remaining 11 months stayed in favor of probation. Pierotti is
also required to complete six hours of continuing education by Dec. 31, 2007.
Pierotti made misleading, deceptive or fraudulent representations in the practice
of the profession. (07-01-07)

I didn't find this until last month after I'd decided not to return to the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers due to their new pricing packages, and someone mentioned to me that I could go to see Dr. Pierotti at his new practice. Granted, this doesn't indicate precisely what the issue was. Obviously, he's still allowed to practice medicine. I wonder what he learned in those six hours of continuing education? I hope it wasn't too taxing for him.

I've learned a lot recently. I wanted to believe. I let down all my usual cynicism, and I was duped.

I'm afraid this just goes to show how vulnerable we can be to people who claim to understand ME/CFS. The best ME/CFS doctors do not make these claims. They know that very little is understood about our illness. They know they most likely will not be able to cure us. They just want to help but concede that their help will be limited.

Hmmm ... Now that I've posted the above quote, will this be a Google hit for his name?

I do see that Dr. Pierotti is listed on the Co-Cure Good Doctors List. That should probably be changed if anyone knows how.

Lily

*Believe*
I think it's great that you've submitted this complaint. I hope you get a good response. I think this was a great idea and probably something more of us should do when we've been blatantly mistreated.

The other thing that bugs me is that Dr. Pierotti was under suspension when i was under his treatment, and I never knew it! Granted, the suspension was for one year and was for some reason made retroactive for all but one month, but why are patients not informed when their doctors are disciplined to include the reasons for the discipline?

I didn't find this until last month after I'd decided not to return to the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers due to their new pricing packages, and someone mentioned to me that I could go to see Dr. Pierotti at his new practice. Granted, this doesn't indicate precisely what the issue was. Obviously, he's still allowed to practice medicine. I wonder what he learned in those six hours of continuing education? I hope it wasn't too taxing for him.

I've learned a lot recently. I wanted to believe. I let down all my usual cynicism, and I was duped.

I'm afraid this just goes to show how vulnerable we can be to people who claim to understand ME/CFS. The best ME/CFS doctors do not make these claims. They know that very little is understood about our illness. They know they most likely will not be able to cure us. They just want to help but concede that their help will be limited.

Hmmm ... Now that I've posted the above quote, will this be a Google hit for his name?

I do see that Dr. Pierotti is listed on the Co-Cure Good Doctors List. That should probably be changed if anyone knows how.

Finch, FWIW, I've had quite a bit of experience with how the review system works with physician oversight and review boards. It takes a lot for them to take any action - be it fines, a letter of concern, censure or actual license suspension or revocation. So anything is significant. I don't think Co-Cure would want to have him on the list if they were aware of the action taken by the Penn and if Kathi is right and he either could not get licensed in Ohio or the Ohio license was revoked, that information wouldn't be difficult to validate either. Co-Cure would probably thank you for bringing it to their attention. I think any organization should be careful about listing physician names without first checking the appropriate licensing boards for previous actions. You may not be able to find out the exact nature of the infraction, but you can bet it was something significant if any action is taken.

Kathi

Dr. Pierotti made it appear he was board certified in ER when he applied to the Bloomsburg Hospital for an ER position. His certificate was in Latin, so they assumed he was board certified. However they found out he wasn't after they already hired him. For the deceoption they fired him and also brought him up before the PA Licensing Bureau. He did not fight it and they gave him the imposed sentencing you have listed.

Yes Dr. Pierotti was on suspension when he was at the F&F Center. I believe the infraction happened in 2004, but the hearing never came about until 2006. (That is how slow they are in PA with licensing issues)

Dr. Pierotti had probelms with a residency in Ohio. Apparently the problem was significant enough that during the hearing they would never issue him a license in Ohio , as a result.

Dr.Pierotti sent me an email that stated T3 therapy was the standard of care in ER trauma and cardiac care. I didn't know that it wasn't at the time. He bragged that he had the highest success rate of all his colleagues in the ER. I am sure that one is made up too, along with him being ER certified.

What is Co Cure???

Kathi

Lily

*Believe*
Dr. Pierotti made it appear he was board certified in ER when he applied to the Bloomsburg Hospital for an ER position. His certificate was in Latin, so they assumed he was board certified. However they found out he wasn't after they already hired him. For the deceoption they fired him and also brought him up before the PA Licensing Bureau. He did not fight it and they gave him the imposed sentencing you have listed.

Yes Dr. Pierotti was on suspension when he was at the F&F Center. I believe the infraction happened in 2004, but the hearing never came about until 2006. (That is how slow they are in PA with licensing issues)

Dr. Pierotti had probelms with a residency in Ohio. Apparently the problem was significant enough that during the hearing they would never issue him a license in Ohio , as a result.

Dr.Pierotti sent me an email that stated T3 therapy was the standard of care in ER trauma and cardiac care. I didn't know that it wasn't at the time. He bragged that he had the highest success rate of all his colleagues in the ER. I am sure that one is made up too, along with him being ER certified.

What is Co Cure???

Kathi

Co-cure.org is another ME/CFS website with a lot of information, including a "Good Doctor" listing. Unfortunately the time lapse you point out between the time of Pierotti's infraction and action of the licensing board is not unusual. Putting information like that in an email to you doesn't seem really smart to me, but I guess his level of intelligence has already been established:worried:

aquariusgirl

Kathi
Just want to thank you for putting the word out.. about the dangers of T3 medication....about the questionable protocols used by the F&F clinics or some of their doctors.

Ppl are reading and taking note.

Thank you

Kathi

Our thanks to you for bringing this to our attention. Dr. Pierotti will be removed. We rely on patients to provide us with recommendations or, in this case, information which leads to a doctor's removal from the list.

Margaret Bailey
Co-Cure Moderator
co-cure-mod@listserv.nodak.edu
http://www.co-cure.org

He should be off the co cure list. Keep checking and let me know if they don't take him off. I received a message today that said he would be taken off.

Kathi

Lily

*Believe*
Our thanks to you for bringing this to our attention. Dr. Pierotti will be removed. We rely on patients to provide us with recommendations or, in this case, information which leads to a doctor's removal from the list.

He should be off the co cure list. Keep checking and let me know if they don't take him off. I received a message today that said he would be taken off.

Kathi

Nice work, Kathi!;)