• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

have we discussed irritablity?

sela

does anyone feel that fingernails on chalkboard sensation? like you can't stand it? like you are melting down over the slightest frustration? like you have to move at the coffee place because the person at the next table has an unpleasant voice? or they are talking too much? or your computer just doesn't get it ? why is it so stupid?

i am getting seriously worried about this.

jewel

Yeah, i've known "irritability." It seems to be buddies with sensory overload. J.

Kati

Patient in training
Sela thank you for bringing the topic of irritability. This may well be my very first symptom of ME/CFS! It is also partly why I isolate, why I need to return home, why I don't sit anywhere crowded, even sitting in a park.

What I wonder is, is irritability a side effect of brain inflammation, or is it due to grieving and psychological aspects of dealing with a chronic illness? Is it triggered by bad news from the CFSAC or a negative XMRV replication non-attempt ? Is is induced by a bad doctor telling us it's all in our heads?

Sigh... if only I knew.

ramakentesh

I get it with POTS bigtime - standing too long will do it. Also I get that premigrainey feeling like all sounds and bright lights drive me crazy,

Athene

ihateticks.me
I started seriously worrying about myself, because I occasionally had anger flashes so intense I would suddenly want to hit or bite my husband for no reason. My son, who also has CFS, is 4 and often did lash out at bot of us very violently.

The dietician told me histamine causes this. When I take antihistamine I calm down like magic. My son can be transformed froma little maniac to a normal kid in as little as 15 minutes after his antihistamine.

Do try it, you only need to take the stuff for one day to find out if it works.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
When I get irritable, it's usually a sign of adrenal fatigue and/or hypoglycemia. At those moments I'm just too tired to do ANYTHING, and if I try to do something in spite of my fatigue, it just makes me more tired and cranky. When that happens, I get a protein snack to make sure my blood sugar gets stable, I dose up on adaptogens, and take a time out into dreamland.

sela

kati, i am isolating too. i really can't be around people very much, not only do i get tired, but everything starts to bother me. it feels like i am crazy. it's increasing too. i also really wish i knew what it was about.
basically, anything that is a draw on the energy can make it worse, so yes, standing, fatigue, hunger, cold. but also just being in public, or even talking to a friend on the phone.
i'll try the anti-histamine.

Jerry S

I started seriously worrying about myself, because I occasionally had anger flashes so intense I would suddenly want to hit or bite my husband for no reason. My son, who also has CFS, is 4 and often did lash out at bot of us very violently.

The dietician told me histamine causes this. When I take antihistamine I calm down like magic. My son can be transformed froma little maniac to a normal kid in as little as 15 minutes after his antihistamine.

Do try it, you only need to take the stuff for one day to find out if it works.

Very interesting about antihistamines, Athene. I think they do help with irritability. I find I do better generally when I take a Benedryl about every 6 hours. This is especially true now during hay fever season here. Thanks!

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
how can you not be irritable at times? the way you feel with this illness, the way your entire life changed completely, the way people around you don't have a clue what you are going thru, the way you wake up every morning from a lousy nights sleep and have to push yourself just to make it thru another tired, brain fogged non fulfilling day. I really need some good news soon!

SaraM

Apart from pain and fatigue, irritability is my worst symptom. I rarely get angry with people, but I need to run away from them and be alone.

Athene, I like to try antihistamine, but it makes me extremely sleepy. I wish there was something else I could use.

wciarci

Wenderella
Good post, I get extremely irritable when I am pushing myself and flaring but not as strong as I used to since my adrenals have improved and I am on a low dose of synthroid. I may try the anti-histamines but they make me so sleepy.

Wendy

dannybex

other possibilities....

Irritability can be a sign of low iron, borderline anemia, and/or outright anemia. And can also be a symptom of low blood volume, which a majority of PWC's supposedly have.

(also...iron deficient patients who are on oral contraceptives are even more irritable, some studies have found.)

I've been increasingly irritable and full of frustration (which is understandable as JimBob says), and interestingly, an acupuncturist at this low-cost clinic I go to (when I can) said almost all of my symptoms are due to "blood deficiency". I've read elsewhere that some researchers consider ME/CFS a 'deficiency' state.

It was suggested that I eat more blood-building foods, and less 'cleansing' foods...so that's the plan for now (along with the usual pile of digestive enzymes, HCL, and various supplements and probiotics).

sela

i wish i knew if it was psychological, jimbob. yes, my life sucks so it is natural to be irritable, but in my case it think it is more than that. i can be in a relatively decent mood and something can set my teeth on edge and barely keep from snapping at people.

dannybex

Blood building foods....

Hi Alice,

Here's some 'blood building foods' that I've found online, and some suggested by the acupuncturist and my doctor:

Beef (red blood!)

Liver (aaauugh -- but probably the BEST blood builder -- has all the minerals/vitamins required) and what I did today was actually grind some up with some lean ground beef. Couldn't taste it!

Eggs

Bone broth -- organic beef bones cooked for hours to bring out the marrow/gelatin

Beets (beet root powder is supposed to be great -- it's very cheap, but a spoonful equals a dozen beets or so!)

Kale and other dark green veggies

Fish

Red/orange/yellow veggies: yams, carratos, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, beets

Red beans

Seaweed (?)

Pomagranates (high vit c)

Dates, figs, molasses smaller amounts...

These can be served with rice, barely, oats, spelt, millet, potatoes, etc.

And then foods to avoid/reduce[/I]: salads, raw fruits, sprouts, raw veggies (these are all more cleansing, rather than "building') excess amounts of dairy, esp cheese, nut butters and other high oil foods (fried foods), overly sweet foods, refined sugars, cold foods like ice cream (these are all considered too cooling, 'clogging', stagnating for healthy liver function, according to TCM.

But I'm not a doctor, just a sick man. :(

Athene

ihateticks.me
Dannybex here's a Liver recipe:

Gently fry the liver (sliced very thinly) with 3 or more chopped onions in a very large amount of olive oil (I mean like half a cupful). You need a very low temperature so the liver is tender not rubbery. When it is cooked add half a cupful of balsamic vinegar and two spoonfuls of sugar. Serve it with all the onion and sauce heaped up on the liver.

This is a Sicilian recipe and it actually makes liver taste nice. You cannot taste that poopy taste at all.

flybro

This 'fingernails on chalkboard'makes my entire body tense up now, before I got ill, I was one of the people scrathcing their nails down the chalk board.

I have to find a way of excusing myself, its almost as though everything becomes to diffficult and confusing, but in an instant flash, I'll be fine just a little worn, and then suddenly for no apparent reason I feel as though I'm being bombarded and about to snap someones head off.