• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Growing mutaflor - by Sarah Myhill

godlovesatrier

https://drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Growing_Mutaflor

Never seen mention of this so posting for those who may be interested.

Mutaflor is a preparation containing Escherichia coli (E. coli) strain Nissle 1917 and is manufactured in Germany by a company called Ardeypharm.

Growing Mutaflor
The bacteria can be cultured at home just like normal yoghurt. I have not yet experimented with different substrates, sugars, times or temperatures, so do not know what is likely to give the best results, but here is a method I have found to work.

Ingredients/Equipment
Ingredients/equipment and notes

½ litre unsweetened soya milk - If using sweetened soya milk, reduce the sugar accordingly - aim to make the milk taste slightly sweet but not sickly.
2 dessertspoons sugar - Some sugars may work better than others; I had success with 1 dessertspoon each of unrefined cane sugar and Sweet Freedom syrup (a honey-like substance made from concentrated fruits). Probably best to avoid real honey as it has antibacterial properties.
5 ml Mutaflor suspension - After the first culture use some of the previous batch as a starter for the next.
Large jar, flask or plastic container and somewhere warm for the culture to grow (around 37-40°C) - I strongly recommend using a yoghurt maker. Yoghurt can be cultured in a thermos flask, airing cupboard or oven, but it is very hard to maintain the right temperature. Too cold and the bacteria won’t ferment; too hot and they will be killed.
Method
Heat the soya milk in a pan until nearly boiling to kill any existing bacteria.
Allow the milk to cool to about 38°C - use a thermometer or wait until it is just slightly warm to a (clean!) dipped finger.
Top tip: If using a new carton of long-life milk you can skip step 1, and save on washing up by simply leaving the carton to warm up in the airing cupboard or oven before opening.
Dissolve the sugar in the milk and pour into the container.
Stir in the Mutaflor suspension or yoghurt from previous batch.
Place container in the yoghurt maker, airing cupboard or other warm place and leave it to do its thing. It should take about 6 - 10 hours, depending on the conditions, and will appear thickened, with a mildly acid taste.
Once the required consistency is achieved, scoop out a couple of tablespoons worth to keep in a sealed jar for use as the starter in the next batch.
Allow to cool then keep the yoghurt in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Enjoy!
Note 1: Home cultured yoghurt is not as set as shop bought, which usually contains added thickeners. There may be some separation of curds and whey; if so, just mix it all together. You could also strain off the excess liquid, but this might lose some of the bacteria.

Note 2: For those who do not use soya products, I'd suggest experimenting. I tried rice, almond and coconut milks, found rice didn't go well at all, almond was bearable but not pleasant and coconut worked ok as long as you use one that doesn't separate too much.

None of them has the protein needed to make it thicken, so you get a drink rather than a yoghurt unless you add a thickener.

Coconut water is quite nice too (as long as you can tolerate the high potassium content), no need for extra sugar and makes a kind of refreshingly light sour drink. To make with coconut water I simply added the Mutaflor and let it ferment in the yoghurt maker as if it were in soya milk.

But mostly I'd say just give it a go and see what you like!!

There are a few other threads on PR about mutaflor:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/e-coli-nissle-mutaflor-and-b12.8665/

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/mutaflor-linked-to-colon-cancer-2020.85809/

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/has-anyone-tried-mutaflor.8576/

@Nuno

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
It comes out a little more like real yogurt in texture if you add an extra spoonful of sugar. Don't expect it to taste the same as lacto-bacteria yogurt though.

I don't do well on soy and am for sure allergic to coconut so I use a product called Elmhurst Unsweetened Milked Almonds. The unsweetened is just almonds and water and however they process it, it stays creamy and doesn’t separate that much. It's kinda expensive but I think still cheaper to make the Mutaflor yogurt with than to continuing buying the capsules all the time. (It also may not be available outside the US. Sorry.)

Also this guy has an excellent tutorial VIDEO on how to make it. He also has a 2nd video on how to turn the yogurt into capsules if you happen to have a freeze dryer. (I'm not going to post that as I don't think most of us do.)

I now use my Instant Pot to pressure cook/sterilize it as he shows in the video and then I bought the same yogurt maker as he has just so I could replicate as closely as possible. (I'm not sure if they still sell that one though.) :(

I think one time though, I also made it all the way through using just the Instant Pot for both steps but I had to pick a manual setting so I could get the temperature just right as that is also different than for making regular yogurt.

Also the 6-10 hours is not right. It actually is more like 22-24 to get it to culture...that again was the reason I bought the same yogurt maker as he has as it has a 24 hour timer. (Just looked and cannot find that model anymore so yeah, I think it has been discontinued. Sorry.)

Edit: Oh, one more comment. Mutaflor stopped working for me when I tried to cycle off and then back on it. It was helping me with the ME/CFS before. :(

If I ever find it works for me again, I'm going to keep taking it until it stops.

Edit 2: I use the capsules so also do it differently. I realized that video uses a quart. A liter is a little more than a quart but Dr Myhill's recipe calls for a 1/2 liter so the sugar amount in hers would probably be correct. Yikes. Sorry again. (Is everyone thoroughly confused now?)

Last edited:

Carl

Allow the milk to cool to about 38°C - use a thermometer or wait until it is just slightly warm to a (clean!) dipped finger.
I haven't [have EDIT: got this wrong in haste] made yoghurt using these bacteria but I used to make lots of yoghurt using various types of bacterial/yeast (Saccharomyces boulardii) capsules as a starter. I used skimmed milk powder as the base mixed to a higher than stated ratio of milk powder to water. Boiled which causes the break up of the milk proteins which helps to thicken the yoghurt. The Saccharomyces boulardii came out extremely well because there was virtually no curds & whey no matter how long it was left going. Bacteria were far more time critical and produced lots of curds & whey if they went over time.

BTW NEVER use your finger as a temperature guide because it will introduce bacteria, potentially harmful into the yoghurt! Washing your hands won't make a big difference TBH. A cheap digital thermometer helps a lot in my experience.

I have a yoghurt maker but found that the temperature regulation was very poor and the temperature went far too high. It does help to have a digital thermometer as I mentioned. Putting a pot[put EDIT:Smelling mistake] filled with water into the yoghurt maker and leaving it running for some hours and then testing the temperature of the water should give a fairly accurate temperature reading. I would say that this is necessary to determine whether the yoghurt maker that you have functions satisfactorily. If it does not then send it back! Mine seemed to get worse the longer that I owned it and I had to take some action to lower the temperature.

BTW I compared using part of a capsule as a starter and compared with some of the previous yoghurt as a starter and the capsule took around 12 to 14 hours, long time ago and the memory escapes me, compared with around 3.5 hours for the yoghurt starter. That shows how many more micro-organisms there are in yoghurt than in some ~ 5 million CFU capsules. Supplement makers would tell you different to encourage you to spend money on their products but my results indicate very different.

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

BTW I compared using part of a capsule as a starter and compared with some of the previous yoghurt as a starter and the capsule took around 12 to 14 hours, long time ago and the memory escapes me, compared with around 3.5 hours for the yoghurt starter.
This is a really helpful post, and thank you for adding to the string of knowledge and experience in this thread. Much appreciated !!!!