• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great source of potassium

seamyb

If you're like me and you are too scared of potassium supplementation, a great source is carrot juice. I've seen coconut water touted on this forum, but carrot juice has so much more. 2 glasses gives me 50% RDA.

I don't like carrots. I didn't like the juice at the start, but it has really grown on me. I get one that has a drop of lemon juice in it, nice and zesty.

50% RDA knocked out before I've even counted food.

Wolfcub

One large orange =333mg potassium too ! (RDA 2500mg) One 100mg can of tuna =237mg......
And 722mg in one 100g bar of dark chocolate (70-85%) Even milk chocolate =372 per 100g.
I good portion of quinoa (8oz cup) = 318mg.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@seamyb - low-sodium V8 (or generic equivalent) has a lot of potassium - 900 mg per 8 oz. glass, 500 mg. or so for regular V8. This has helped a lot of people who wanted a quick dose of potassium and fewer calories than sweet potatoes, which I love! :rolleyes:

btw, I'm not scared of potassium supplementation - when I first tried methylfolate 10 years ago, it gave me a noticeable boost in energy after 1 or 2 days, followed the next day by severe fatigue due to potassium tanking (which I'd learned by reading several posts by member Freddd here about low potassium and methylation).

I was very leery at first, but titrated up using a potassium supplement over a couple of days, in divided doses (spread throughout the day) started with 400 mg. I think and over 2 or 3 days worked up to 1000 mg a day (200 or 300 mg with each meal) and I still need that much. I also take 200 mg middle of the night because for some reason my potassium tends to drop during the night and I would often wake up with cramps in my feet or legs or feet before I started the potassium supplementation.

The RDA for potassium is 4700, so the 1000 - 1200 mg I take is 25% of the RDA. Also, I found that I tolerated potassium gluconate the best. Many do well with potassium citrate, but it contributed to or exacerbated a UTI infection for me.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@seamyb - one last thing, I've read that it's best to spread potassium supplement doses throughout the day - e.g., I wouldn't take 1000 - 1200 mg all at once.

fwiw, many here find they need to supplement with potassium daily and some even need 2000 or even 3000 mg a day. I'm not saying to be careless with potassium, but, rather, informed. Many cases of high BP are not due to too much salt but instead. not enough potassium, although most doctors don't seem to be aware of this.

seamyb

One large orange =333mg potassium too ! (RDA 2500mg) One 100mg can of tuna =237mg......
And 722mg in one 100g bar of dark chocolate (70-85%) Even milk chocolate =372 per 100g.
I good portion of quinoa (8oz cup) = 318mg.

You should NOT have told me about the milk chocolate!! :snigger:

@Mary I actually have a bottle of potassium tablets, I've just been too chicken (also a source of potassium). Haven't had any issues with it yet as far as I know, trying to stay on top of it. I imagine I'll lose my cautiousness if my levels tank.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I actually have a bottle of potassium tablets, I've just been too chicken (also a source of potassium). Haven't had any issues with it yet as far as I know, trying to stay on top of it. I imagine I'll lose my cautiousness if my levels tank.
I've found that potassium tablets are a problem, because, at least on this side of the pond, they only come in 99 mg doses. THis is due to the propensity of tablets to land on the stomach lining and stay there, causing a whole raft of new problems.

I use Bulk Supplements powdered potassium gluconate, which allows you to titrate whatever dose you want to try, and, since it's dispersed in water, doesnt have the other problem of burning out a segment of my stomach lining when it lands there and stays.

It's also pretty cheap, another beneficial quality. Except maybe on first dates ....