• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Got ME? Just SMILE!" - Media coverage of the SMILE trial…..

alex3619

Though I expect we'll also see some pretty heavy-hitting articles in the near future which are far more critical of LP, Crawley, and their associates.
The pattern seems to be an early flurry of churnalism, and then the scientific reviews some out. Given scientists are now aware of the long list of flaws with such studies I think we shall see some very negative analysis published.

AndyPR

Perhaps this one will do:

809ede148df9930c0f1fd122326fd73f--sigmund-freud-rubber-duck.jpg
Now we know who shares Adreno's bathtime.. ;)

AndyPR

From a post on Facebook. Link to post - https://www.facebook.com/joan.mcparland/posts/1697031973671883 - the author of the post has set it to public and encourages sharing of it.

I sincerely hope this point about the despicable abuse of power involved in testing the Lightening Process on vulnerable children can be investigated by Child Protection Agencies.
Please share widely.
"Personal comment:
- I'm a retired Deputy Head of two high schools in the UK, I was responsible for Child Protection.

- it is very easy to abuse the power of ones role in education, particularly with vulnerable youngsters. Such youngsters are often seeking approval, particularly as the school system consistently reports their failure to attend school ie the system already emphasises the individual's 'failure' to fit in. Youngsters of this age want to fit in & will adapt their behaviours in order to 'join a group' be that a gang, older children who can 'protect' them or staff contact to avoid problems with other student relationships etc etc

- I would be vey interested to know how many of those enrolled in the study would also reported bullying in the school setting, as 'difference' is a major cause of bullying

- if a vulnerable youngster is told by an adult to be positive, not to give responses the 'leader' does not want to hear, & that they learn they will receive positive attention only when they behave as required, this denies their personal experiences - experiences which are valid & which are being ignored & denigrated by that act of ignoring.

I spent my working life telling students:

'your feelings are valid, I can understand why you feel as you do - angry/aggressive etc, I like you as a person but it is your behaviour after your feelings I have an issue with - feeling angry is ok, acting on that anger by banging another students head against the concrete floor is not acceptable, & then discussing better ways to act & agreeing a course of action that they would take when (not if) those feelings arose again.

This has a facet of LP in that it identifies a state of emotion & agrees a method of managing it, usually the student had a contract to go straight to a key staff member who would welcome & value the student for coming to them & not acting on their emotional impulse, then a discussion about what had created the feelings would take place. We addressed many children's needs in this way to very positive effect.

My disgust, & sense of revulsion at LP stems from the denial of the emotional responses of these vulnerable youngsters & the requirement that they ignore them, stop them & blames them if they don't.

That LP participants are directed to not talk to others about it - keep secrets - to report positively regardless of their internal view is appalling to me. Child Protection has a key tenet 'secrets are not ok' - if an adult tells a youngster to keep a secret it is a form of control & creates an environment in which abuse can occur more easily.

My view - that is an abuse of power which would have resulted in any adult within the school setting being involved in such an activity, being required to explain why the 'respect for all' policy was not being followed & entry into disciplinary & grievance procedures.

Parents & staff need to understand what LP actually is.

My principles in relation to student care seem to from a different universe to EC's.

Maybe I need to sit down with her & share my personal concerns to see if she can understand why I find this process so disturbing - maybe she'd surprise me by listening & understanding & would be able to explain that she has considered al thee points of view.

Every headteacher should be given information about LP as should every person I each school responsible for Safeguarding/Child Protection - I wonder how many would have the same level of caution & disquiet as I do?"

ETA: Add link to FB post and some text.

Last edited:

lilpink

I personally agree but researchers/orgs have still worked with her.. I kind of feel that this may be or should be the last straw for them in continuing to do so.

Edit: It seems like she has crossed a line.

Yes completely agree. Although I think some, like Collin etc, are so closely aligned with her it's going to be difficult for them to extricate themselves.

lilpink

Interesting that Esther Crawley is upping the abuse blocking research narrative, whilst Jose Montoya said we were failed by medics misjudging the illness as psychological. It is ironic that with a CMRC charter supposed to stop harmful media discourse , it's Esther who is doing the harm and making the smears.

YES! Just replying as this is worth repeating!

lilpink

@lilpink

I saw that. Hopefully we'll see more condemnation from actual biomedical researchers who understand the nature of this illness rather better than Crawley and her laughable team of 'researchers'.

Indeed. I think it's probably quite clear now that she has properly overstepped the mark this time. She is going to be vilified by sensible researchers and credible academics and she's only herself to blame. I'm getting my needles out ready ;)