• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Global Campaign to ban blood donations from people with ME

Hi All - I telephoned the UK Blood Donor people today. After being on hold for a while was informed that they are NOT accepting blood from ME/CFS sufferers until they are cured. Looks like they'll have a long wait. Given the responses of some other countries this seems irresponsible to me.

V99

I believe they have had a blood ban on ME patients since at least 1989, until 'cured'.

taniaaust1

There is a ban on those with CFS/ME donating blood too in Australia, Australia quickly followed Canada when Canada banned. (just thought i'd let you know as Im not sure you knew that).

Ive noticed the media overseas to me has been not reporting that its actually banned in Australia (rather then just being a recommendation not to donate). By not reporting actual ban, they play the whole situation down.

I think New Zealand also put a ban in place (but that will have to be checked on).

nods yeah.. as far as I know England has banned CFSers from donating (which i find kind of interesting as they push so strongly over CFS psychological view). Its America who has yet to use the word "ban" and needs more pressure put on it to completely ban CFS blood. (There is a very strong undercurrent in America not to change things).

V99

Yea, I had heard about the blood bans. I believe in the UK they have banned blood donation from at least 1989. Unless 'recovered'. Yea, right.