• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gastrointestinal Reflux as Dysautonomia

sometexan84

Same here. After years spent trying to adjust my diet, I've found things that maybe help a bit. But overall, my triggers seem to be 80% related to exertion (mental or physical) and 20% related to diet. Quite frustrating, because even talking on the phone too much will lead to days of reflux and coughing in addition to the other PEM symptoms. In a current minor crash at the moment - stomach constantly gurgling like it's trying to digest, slight burn causing coughing and discomfort, etc. Not pleasant.
As I've been on IFN Lambda I've had reflux issues periodically, and TONS of constant stomach gurgling sounds (which I learned is called borborygmus). You hear this on Lambda because it causes GI tract inflammation, leading to these sounds.

So there could be a connection between exertion, which lowers intracellular immunity leading to increased viral replication, and the stomach/GI tract inflammation and reflux.

sometexan84

@sometexan84 How is the Lambda experiment coming along?
I don't want to hijack the thread and get it off-topic, but for me it's done exactly what I was hoping as my fatigue is gone. I think this is a huge deal, so I've been shocked at the lack of attention.

Easy to stay on topic here though because I am still having what I described above, the reflux, and the stomach sounds, as well as periodic nausea. It's from the Lambda, which I plan to continue taking for at least 1.5 more months.