• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Functional B vitamins

S

Suzy

I was wondering what is the best way to test for the functionality of B vitamins.

Biolab in the UK will test B1,B5,B6 and biotin functionality, but is there another way.

Is it possible by checking the level of certain metabolites ? For example, I had high hippuric and oxalic acids on my organic profile and Rich said this indicated B6 deficiency.

Suzy

Hysterical Woman

Suzy/B tests

I was wondering what is the best way to test for the functionality of B vitamins.

Biolab in the UK will test B1,B5,B6 and biotin functionality, but is there another way.

Is it possible by checking the level of certain metabolites ? For example, I had high hippuric and oxalic acids on my organic profile and Rich said this indicated B6 deficiency.

Suzy

Hi Suzy,

Thanks for posting. I am just getting my feet wet with this stuff, but find it fascinating. I recently asked my doctor for the MMA urine test and serum homocysteine to get a measurement of B12. I can provide some information out of the book "Could it Be B12" concerning B12 testing. I will post this in chunks since I just typed in a complete page which I then promptly lost.:Retro mad:

Serum Vitamin B12

1. Cost effective when used in conjunction with the more accurate urinary MMA test. Not sufficient when used alone, because of its high degree of inaccuracy (see points 2 and 3 below).

2. Can give false-negative results (elevated serum B12 levels in the presence of deficiency) in patients with the following conditions:

-active liver disease
-transcobalamin II deficiency
-intestinal bacterial overgrowth
-myeloproliferative disorders
-polycythemia vera
-chronic myelogenous leukemia
-acute promyelocytic leukemia
-chloral hydrate medication
-lymphoma

3. Can give false-positive results (low serum B12 levels in the absence of deficiency) in patients with the following conditions:

-folate deficiency
-pregnancy (although we question the validity of this finding, because it is possible that B12 deficiency is under-recognized in pregnancy)
-multiple myeloma
-excessive vitamin C intake
-transcobalamin I deficiency

This book, of course, is written for the general public, not for CFSers. I still think it is a good resource.

Up next will be info regarding the Urinary MMA/Creatinine Ratio Test.

Take care,

HW

Hysterical Woman

More B12 tests - Urinary MMA/Creatinine Ratio Test

Urinary MMA/Creatinine Ratio Test

1. Elevated in vitamin B12 deficiency
2. Elevated in some inborn errors of B12 metabolism
3. Highly sensitive
4. Highly specific (No known false positive or false negative results)
5. Adjusts for poor renal function
6. Adjusts for hypovolemia/dehydration
7. Non-invasive
8. No fasting required
9. Cost Effective

Hysterical Woman

Serum MMA B12 test

Serum MMA B 12 test

1. Elevated in Vitamin B12 deficiency
2. Elevated in certain inborn errors of B12 metabolsim
3. Falsely high in renal insufficiency
4. Falsely high in intravascular volume depletion
5. Twelve-hour fasting required.
6. Invasive
7. Less sensitive and specific than urinary MMA

Hysterical Woman

Plasma Homocysteine to measure B12

Plasma Homocysteine

1. Elevated in vitamin B12 deficiency
2. Elevated in folate deficiency
3. Elevated in vitamin B6 deficiency
4. Elevated in renal insufficiency
5. Elevated in intravascular volume depletion

6. Elevated in chronic diseases (hypothyroidism, system lupus erythematosus, severe psoriases, some cancers, renal failure).

7. Elevated with the use of specific medications (Dilantin, Tegretol, nitrous oxide, methotrexate, lipid-lowering drugs [colestipol and niacin in combination with thiazide diuretics], estrogen-containing oral contraceptives).

8. Elevated in inherited errors of methionine metabolism:
-cystathionine B-synthase deficiency
-methionine synthase deficiency
-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase deficiency

9. Elevated in certain inborn errors of B12 metabolsim

10. Twelve-hour fasting required
11. Invasive

Hysterical Woman

thanks HW, this is good information, clearly put. A great resource.

Hi Sunday,

Yes, I think the book is a good source even tho it for "general" use and not specifically for CFS. When I told my doc I wanted an MMA test by urine he had never had one of those done and was impressed when he read the information in the book. At least he has done MMA serum test for his patients before.

Take care,

HW

richvank

Suzy

Hi, Suzy.

The Vitamin Diagnostics lab was originally started by a guy who over several years developed methods for measuring vitamins using specific strains of bacteria that need the various vitamins. I think they still use these methods, and they offer specific tests for each of the vitamins. I don't know how it compares with what Biolab does, but it measures the bioavailable levels of the vitamins, which chemical tests do not do.

Rich

Hysterical Woman

Hi, Suzy.

The Vitamin Diagnostics lab was originally started by a guy who over several years developed methods for measuring vitamins using specific strains of bacteria that need the various vitamins. I think they still use these methods, and they offer specific tests for each of the vitamins. I don't know how it compares with what Biolab does, but it measures the bioavailable levels of the vitamins, which chemical tests do not do.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Do you know if the Vitamin Diagnostics Lab is up and running in their new facility yet?

Thanks,

HW

S

Suzy

Thanks RIch,

I was wondering about the organic acids test. For example. hippuric acid may indicate B6 deficiency. I'm wondering if having normal levels of certain compounds would rule out deficiency. For example, would a normal hippuric acid rule out b6 deficiency.

Or do you think doing the enzyme challenge test is better at finding deficiencies ?

Suzy