• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From very severe to moderate in two months

leokitten

I know I did too much ... you are right... if it’s a crash, it’s a chance ... and a chance to learn from it

IMO if you bounce back and I were in your position I would never return to any kind of work at all for a very long time (like min a year or more). You’ve spent 2 1/2 years in the deepest hell we ever experience, and it’s going to take a very, very long journey to build back slowly and retain improvements without getting PEM and crashes.

It’s the only way I’ve ever seen it done with others who were successful with treatments, people take a slow and methodical recovery using a plan with aggressive rest, full control of exertion, and definitely no work. They add only little bits of minor exertion slowly over a long time. If something they add causes PEM or crash they immediately stop it for a long time. In my opinion work would be the last and least important part of life in your recently severe situation.

Last edited:

Martin aka paused||M.E.

IMO if you bounce back and I were in your position I would never return to any kind of work at all for a very long time (like min a year or more). You’ve spent 2 1/2 years in the deepest hell we ever experience, and it’s going to take a very, very long journey to build back slowly and retain improvements without getting PEM and crashes.

It’s the only way I’ve ever seen it done with others were successful with treatments, people take a slow and methodical recovery using a plan with aggressive rest, full control of exertion, and definitely no work. They add only little bits of minor exertion slowly over a long time. If something they add causes PEM or crash they immediately stop it for a long time. In my opinion work would be the last and least important part of life in your recently severe situation.
Don’t let me be misunderstood: I did NOT crash from work under Abilify... not a single time

leokitten

Don’t let me be misunderstood: I did NOT crash from work under Abilify... not a single time

How do you even know that? I don’t know anyone with ME, including myself, that can say the physical and mental exertion of working doesn’t significantly contribute to their PEM and crashing, especially since you have been working mostly full-time every day?

I apologize I just don’t understand it, you do realize you can do something for a few days and it slowly builds up in PEM without immediately realizing and then boom! a delayed crash? Maybe Abilify is just masking it and not giving you the signals until it’s too late, but if you started ramping up work in the last few weeks and you hadn’t before I would say that’s a major culprit as to why you got the worst of your crashes recently.

Working full-time from home might bring you closer to a crash without you really noticing and then some physical or social activity pushes you into the crash and you mistakenly think it was those last things that are the culprit, but underneath it all the exertion to work full-time every day has drained the battery making it much easier to crash.

Last edited:

Martin aka paused||M.E.

How do you even know that? I don’t know anyone with ME, including myself, that can say the physical and mental exertion of working doesn’t significantly contribute to their PEM and crashing, especially since you have been working mostly full-time every day and traveling to and from work?

I apologize I just don’t understand it, you do realize you can do something for a few days and it slowly builds up in PEM without immediately realizing and then boom! a delayed crash? Maybe Abilify is just masking it and not giving you the signals until it’s too late, but if you started ramping up work in the last few weeks and you hadn’t before I would say that’s a major culprit as to why you got the worst of your crashes recently.
I’m at work since beginning of October... I do home office.... while I was working I was improving... I think the crash comes from physical activity (I took the stairs and began to walk)...
I have to work to pay my medicine. My insurance does not pay for it. Besides, my job is a big joy.
if I’d crash from it I would have got worse before. But I worsened after taking the stairs and walking through the house

leokitten

I’m at work since beginning of October... I do home office.... while I was working I was improving... I think the crash comes from physical activity (I took the stairs and began to walk)...
I have to work to pay my medicine. My insurance does not pay for it. Besides, my job is a big joy.
if I’d crash from it I would have got worse before. But I worsened after taking the stairs and walking through the house

Understood, and the best of luck. Just read what I wrote before, sedentary telework might not cause an outright crash on its own, but it could be draining your ME battery making adding other exertion in your life more easily trigger crashes (like walking and other). It might not be possible for you right now to increase your physical exertion with the constant mental exertion of work, and it appears you are choosing what’s important to you.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Badpack

Well, it says Rapid Onset. So only thinking about it is enough :cool: joking, it would need years for it to be relevant for an adult. Despite that, no restrictive diet is healthy long term. One or the other deficiency will show up.