• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From very severe to moderate in two months

Hip

Two months ago I was very severe for two and a half years. Now I'm back to moderate since starting my new treatment:

4mg Abilify+4.5mg LDN+100mg Celebrex.

It's an anti-inflammatory treatment
Prescription by GP

That's great!

Did you ever try any of these treatments individually before? Like LDN for example? Just wondering if your improvement is due to just one of these drugs, like Abilify, or more than one?

Very few ME/CFS patients get major improvements from LDN (only around 3% of patients, according to this poll). So seems unlikely that LDN made this major improvement you achieved. There could of course be some synergistic effects.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

That's great!

Did you ever try any of these treatments individually before? Like LDN for example? Just wondering if your improvement is due to just one of these drugs, like Abilify, or more than one?

Very few ME/CFS patients get major improvements from LDN (only around 3% of patients, according to this poll). So seems unlikely that LDN made this major improvement you achieved. There could of course be some synergistic effects.
Yes I tried LDN alone and it didn’t make a difference while Abilify alone did. But the major improvement came when I added LDN and Celebrex

choochoo

I agree with Hip. As far as I'm concerned LDN is a waste of time. Efficacy of this treatment is thin on the ground. In other words a waste of time.

Last edited:

Hip

I agree with Hip. As far as I'm concerned LDN is a waste of time.

I would not say LDN is a waste of time. When LDN works well for a patient, it can make a major difference. It's just that it does not work very often. But given how cheap and safe it is, it's one of the treatments worthwhile trying, just in case you do respond to it.

This is actually the story with most ME/CFS treatments: they tend only to make a major difference in a small subset of patients. This is why finding something that helps your ME/CFS is a case of testing out various treatments, in the hope of finding the treatment which works for you.

bthompsonjr1993

I agree with Hip. As far as I'm concerned LDN is a waste of time. Efficacy of this treatment is thin on the ground. In other words a waste of time.

LDN for just a few weeks took me from mild all the way to severe. After stopping it it took me two months to get from severe to moderate. But I have never been able to get back to mild. That drug did a lot of bad for me.

Wayne

Few Doctors seem to be knowledgeable about silymarin.

I buy milk thistle seeds in bulk, which apparently contain about 70% silymarin. A pound costs about $17 or so on Amazon. Here's a blurb on milk thistle [from THIS ARTICLE]:

Milk Thistle
Milk thistle, or Silybum marianum, is the richest source of silymarin. In fact, silymarin is often called milk thistle extract because its seeds contain about 70 percent of the phytonutrient according to the “Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine." Other parts of the milk thistle plant, such as the sprouts and stems, also contain silymarin, but the seeds are the most concentrated form

Hip

LDN for just a few weeks took me from mild all the way to severe. After stopping it it took me two months to get from severe to moderate. But I have never been able to get back to mild. That drug did a lot of bad for me.

Wow, that's a pretty bad outcome from LDN. I've not come across such a major adverse effect like that before. A lot of patients find LDN hard to tolerate at first, and it makes them worse, so they have to reduce the dose to a tiny fraction of the normal dose, and then proceed very slowly to increase it. But I can't remember coming across a result as bad as you experienced.

HABS93

Is LDN worth trying ? My problem isore neurological symptoms that I can't find anything that helps with them. Even the 1500mg of NAC after two months felt no different. Weed causes my neurological symptoms to be worse so it's something is wrong with my nervous system? Also explains the tingly feeling I get when I'm moving . Comes and go.

Yuno

Martin

I have ordered some abilify ( several days ago ). May I add, what dose of abilify did you start on? Or did you go straight to 4.0mg?
hi,

could i ask where you ordered your abilify? are there trustworthy online resources?