• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

First HBOTherapy and I feel way worse... should I keep trying it?

I had my first HBOT today.

I came home and slept for 2 hours, a weird light sleep that didn't really feel like sleep, but I couldn't get up and out of it either.

Since then I can barely move or function. Going up my stairs is a night mare, like in a really bad crash.

Could this just be a release of toxins like a Herx reaction or something? Has anyone else had this kind of reaction to HBOT?

Should I try it again or stop? I could use your advice guys! Thanks!

zzz

Sorry to hear about your reaction, @Tiffyshea.
Could this just be a release of toxins like a Herx reaction or something?

No; HBOT doesn't work like that.
Has anyone else had this kind of reaction to HBOT?

I had a number of HBOT treatments, but none of them gave me that reaction.
Should I try it again or stop?

I obviously can't give you medical advice, but if I had that reaction to HBOT, I would not continue it. I don't know what caused your reaction, but it doesn't sound good to me, and I wouldn't want to take chances.

bertiedog

I had just one session and it was horrendous. As the pressure was building I started to feel dizzy and then panicky and somehow got through it but instead of being relaxing it was the very opposite and was one of the most stressful experiences I have experienced in 20 years.

It left me feeling shaky although I could feel the benefit of the oxygen for about a day. After that I purchased another oxygen concentrator called EveryFlo and use that three times daily after eating and after walking my dog. I have had an oxygen concentrator for about 7 years now which gives me 5 litres per minute and its a huge help as long as I am on my normal dose of steroid and thyroid medication. Whenever I haven't been able to tolerate them (like last winter after several viruses gave me severe POTS for a couple of months) then I didn't get as much benefit so everything needs to be on board to notice a real difference in my ability to do some physical exercise and even get a sense of wellbeing.

I do have several very negative SNPs which will affect the brain' sensitivity to stimuli so that might explains my reaction. Normally I am a fairly chilled person so my reaction was very unexpected.

Pam